Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 486487488489490 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 01:18
Saturday...

Holy Grove - Holy Grove
Native Daughters - Master Manipulator
Weedpecker - Weedpecker ll
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
Electric Moon - Flaming Lake 
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 01:28
The Fixx - "Reach the Beach"
Bad Brains - s/t
Bad Brains - "Black Dots"
Weaves - s/t
Woody Guthrie - "Dust Bowl Ballads"
The Jam - "Sound Affects"
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 01:38
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Don't get me started man, I always thought of this album as just another great Sabbath album, it's here that I discovered it's not so popular. as a whole of course there are others I like more but I don't expect the band to deliver one masterpiece after the other, so this is just a natural continuation of their career, same goes for Technical Ecstasy.
And aside from that this album contains some of their best material, Air Dance is one of their best songs ever imo.

Spot on, Sagi, on my sixth listen now and I'm more certain than ever that it's very worthwhile. I also always considered `Technical Ecstasy' to be a very decent Seventies rock album, if not a classic `Black Sabbath' album as such. Still plenty of inspiration and ideas throughout that one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 01:41
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Weedpecker - Weedpecker ll

LOVE that album, Gary, I've got it on vinyl myself! The more mellow and melodic side of stoner/psych rock, and it even reminds me a little of Floyd/Gilmour's voice in the vocals in a few spots.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 01:53
^  Yeah, it was good to hear it today since it's been a few months since I last played it.
I also enjoyed hearing Native Daughters again. That's their newest album released earlier this year.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 08:00
Tonight's choices:

Black Sabbath – Never Say Die
Black Sabbath – Sabotage
Weedpecker - II
Brimstone Coven – Black Magic
Blues Pills – s/t
Erik Wollo and Byron Metcalf – Earth Luminous
Cousin Silas – Ballard Landscapes 6
Jack Hertz – The End of Time is One Second Away
Steve Roach – The Delicate Forever
Michael Bruckner – Endless Mind Portal
Michael Bruckner – Muzikhala
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 08:33
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Don't get me started man, I always thought of this album as just another great Sabbath album, it's here that I discovered it's not so popular. as a whole of course there are others I like more but I don't expect the band to deliver one masterpiece after the other, so this is just a natural continuation of their career, same goes for Technical Ecstasy.
And aside from that this album contains some of their best material, Air Dance is one of their best songs ever imo.

Spot on, Sagi, on my sixth listen now and I'm more certain than ever that it's very worthwhile. I also always considered `Technical Ecstasy' to be a very decent Seventies rock album, if not a classic `Black Sabbath' album as such. Still plenty of inspiration and ideas throughout that one.

Love Technical Ecstasy, first time I heard it I was instantly drawn to "You Won't Change Me", played that track over and over and over....LOL   I always thought the last 3 of the 70s albums don't get the love they deserve.  In my book I would put Sabotage up there with any of the 70s work, even though their earlier stuff are classics! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 00:52
The Raincoats - s/t
Radio Birdman - "Radios Appear"
Pete Seeger - "American Favorite Ballads, Vols. 1-5" disc 1
Masato Nakamura - "Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 Soundtrack" discs 2 and 3
10cc - "I'm Not in Love" b/w "Good News"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 01:08
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Love Technical Ecstasy, first time I heard it I was instantly drawn to "You Won't Change Me", played that track over and over and over....LOL   I always thought the last 3 of the 70s albums don't get the love they deserve.  In my book I would put Sabotage up there with any of the 70s work, even though their earlier stuff are classics! 

Yep, I honestly don't think they put out a bad album for quite a while, Jim. `Sabotage', `T.E' and `Never Say Die' are all very good (if just not quite up to the standard of those first few), and to be honest I think the first two with Ronnie James Dio - `Heaven and Hell' and `Mob Rules' - are both strong as well for what they are. I think it's with `Born Again' and `Seventh Star' that things get....well, not bad as such, but probably more forgettable and a bit anonymous?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 02:18
Sunday...

Sunnata - Zorya
Elder - Spires Burn (EP)
Electric Orange - XX
Ancient Warlocks - Ancient Warlocks II
Brutus - Wandering Blind 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 02:22

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Yep, I honestly don't think they put out a bad album for quite a while, Jim. `Sabotage', `T.E' and `Never Say Die' are all very good (if just not quite up to the standard of those first few), and to be honest I think the first two with Ronnie James Dio - `Heaven and Hell' and `Mob Rules' - are both strong as well for what they are. I think it's with `Born Again' and `Seventh Star' that things get....well, not bad as such, but probably more forgettable and a bit anonymous?
I love Never Say Die, period !! It has Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes, and Air Dance. Enough to warrant a 4 star album for me
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 02:30
Ha, I'm listening to `Never Say Die' right this very second at work, Tom! Totally agree, mate...I don't think there's a bad track on it, but it's a bit of a shame the last track doesn't have Ozzy singing on it, it just kind of slumps to a finish even though the music itself throughout the track is really good. Seems a little anti-climactic, considering it was (at the time) the final Sabbath album that Ozzy sang on.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 02:32
Tom, I remember you gave my your old vinyl of `Technical Ecstasy' as well many year back! Did you ever pick it up again and decide to give it another chance?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 02:46
I agree with you Michael about those Dio albums, both are surprisingly very very good, especially Heaven & Hell, Iommi's on fire on that one. 
About Born Again I actually like that one also, although Gillan doesn't fit the band at all still the album is not that bad infact there are a few really good tracks on it.

I haven't heard all of the rest just a few here and there but nothing never grabbed me. 13 is a nice album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 03:04

I agree with you Michael about those Dio albums, both are surprisingly very very good, especially Heaven & Hell, Iommi's on fire on that one. 
About Born Again I actually like that one also, although Gillan doesn't fit the band at all still the album is not that bad infact there are a few really good tracks on it.

I haven't heard all of the rest just a few here and there but nothing never grabbed me. 13 is a nice album.

I've honestly only listened to `Born Again' (and `Seventh Star') once or twice, so I really need to dig them out and give them proper spins, definitely not enough times to really form much of an opinion on. They sounded like reliable heavy metal albums, just not too memorable.

I just noticed that there's special `deluxe version' CD reissues of both of those that might be interesting, quite inexpensive too. I have two ordinary standard CD versions that don't really scream at me to play them!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 03:40
Baumann/Koek - s/t
Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
Dialeto - The Last Tribe
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 04:36

Tom, I remember you gave my your old vinyl of `Technical Ecstasy' as well many year back! Did you ever pick it up again and decide to give it another chance?
Indeed !!
It's not bad at all.
And yep, Bill sings Swinging The Chain. And that odd instrumental, Breakout, with the horns !! Very diverse album from Sabbs. And I think Ozzy sang his best on that album.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 04:40
^ Oh, Dehumanizer is a KILLER album, my fave Dio Sabbath. Love Mob Rules and I don't mind H&H - I don't see what all the fuss is about that album.
Born Again was pretty good - Disturbing The Priest is an AWESOME track.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 07:52
Tonight's choices...how odd, an all-heavy night!

Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell
Black Sabbath – Mob Rules
Black Sabbath – Never Say Die
Black Sabbath – Sabotage
Iron Maiden – The Book of Souls
Dream Theater – The Astonishing (disc 1)
Ayreon – The Theory of Everything (disc 2)
District 97 – In Vaults
Arena – The Seventh Degree of Separation
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 01:49
Death - "Human"
Wipers - "Youth of America"
Steven Wright - "I Have a Pony"
Converge - "Jane Doe"
Thelonious Monk - "Brilliant Corners"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 486487488489490 511>