Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 506507508509510 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 12:57
Picchio Dal Pozzo - Picchio Dal Pozzo. Starting to enjoy this album more and more. Actually, I have posted "Cocomelastico" from this one in the "What's your favorite song today?" thread. The Muffins' style is at times quite similar to PDS'. Such a great original work!
Sergius Golowin - Lord Krischna Von Goloka. This was my first encounter with this album, although I've wanted to get to it for quite a while. It's an incredible kosmische krautfolk album, if you will. I guess it could be described as a folky, feminine, acoustic version of The Cosmic Jokers. Really good, creative, and unique!
Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen. This has never been my favorite Ash Ra Tempel album, but it's pretty pleasant anyway. The opening track is always a sensation with its relaxing, bluesy feel. Side two does not have a feeling of being throughoutly (is that a word?) composed or well-thought, so to say, but it's still quite nice.
Arkham - Arkham. Michael, many thanks for turning me onto this album! I absolutely loved it at first listen! And those comparisons to Egg and Soft Machine are perfectly justified! I just fail to see the Zeuhlian quality of it... Oh, well, the compositions and arrangement really remind me of The Polite Force or The Civil Surface... And a bit of Supersister actually! One of the greatest things about this one is that it does not repeat the Canterburian cliches of HatN, Caravan or Soft Machine that all too many bands do. They seem to have developed their own distinctive sound and even with detectable inspiration from a few bands, their material is unbelieveably fresh and fascinating. Again, thank you so much, Michael! Smile
Klaus Schulze - Mirage. From the first listen, I can say that this is my favorite Schulze album along with Cyborg. And it does have a similar vibe, I think. Funnily enough, my favorite track was the bonus piece, "In Cosa Crede Chi Non Crede?", as I always love what Klaus does with his Farfisa organ. Amazing!

This was my day. Smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 23:28
Really glad you dug it, Tymon! I sadly just discovered it's no longer on my Ipod (which crashed a few months back and I'm STILL digging out albums to re-rip for it!), so I'll have to rip the CD again. I HATE digging out the fiddly mini-LP sets with delicate packaging and special plastic covers, I'd rather rip it once and then leave it carefully on the shelf forever!

Anyway, a mostly modern day yesterday:

Big Big Train – English Electric, part 2
The Tangent – A Spark in the Aether
United Progressive Fraternity – Fall in Love with the World
Comedy of Errors – Spirit
I.Q – Dark Matter

Tangerine Dream – Official Bootleg: vol 2 – Palais des Congres, Paris March 1978 (Sam, you have GOT to hear this performance, very frantic and up-tempo! Never heard a TD show like it!)

Le Orme - Felona e Sorona 2016 - Hmmmmm, anyone else heard this yet?
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 23:33
Nothing today, but during the past couple days listened to these:

Casbah - Russian Roulette
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 00:26
The Beach Boys - "The Smile Sessions"
Bill Evans Trio - "Waltz for Debby"
Chet Baker - "Sings"
Hymie's Basement - s/t
The Beach Boys - "20/20"
Van Dyke Parks - "Song Cycle"
The Beach Boys - "Today!"
The Beach Boys - "Endless Summer"
The Beach Boys - "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 01:20
Sunday...

Doctor Doom - This Seed We Have Sewn
Fuzz Mantra - The Stonewolf
Colour Haze - To The Highest Gods We Know
Greenbeard - Stoned At The Throne
Rama - Rama
Rocket Scientists - Traveler On The Supernatural Highways
Rotor - Rotor
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 01:30
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I like to start my day with Canterbury or Zeuhl

Funny you mention this, mate! I randomly thought of this album the other day and instantly thought of you and the others with the constant Canterbury related mentions on this thread lately:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5217

It's listed on the site as a Zeuhl album (perhaps because it features some future members of Magma), but the style of the band was quite similar to Egg and the Soft Machine. The CD is listed as being released in 1994, but it's actually a compilation of recordings from the early Seventies of the group, who never recorded a proper studio album. So all we've got left is a handful of bootleg-like recordings, some of which sound great, others that sould like they were recorded in a toilet! I've got a mini LP version of this one that adds a few additional recordings, and I honestly think it's a great collection. Of course, you'll have to decide if you have the patience to listen to the varying sound quality, but I think some of it is up on Youtube. Here's the few couple of tracks at least:

Oh I like that Arkham album too! Though it will surly test your patient as a prog listener because of the quality, but once you've past that issue there's some great music to discover.
Michael, I didn't know there was a version with bonus tracks...my version has 9 tracks and it's a bit over an hour if I remember correctly. How many tracks does your vesion has?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 01:40
Sagi, I'll double check when I'm back home! I'm actually keen to listen to the album again, I was shattered to find it gone from my Ipod! I'm constantly coming across these little missing albums that I forgot to load back on. For instance, I did the first ten or so Camel albums, including the 80's poppier ones, I went to listen to `Nude' - not there!

Good mention of that `Spoke of Shadows' disc yesterday, mate. Now there's ANOTHER one I need to give a fresh listen to! I remember loving it, possibly even reviewing it, but I don't recall off the top of my head a second of the music!   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 01:43
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Honestly, mate, that's my absolute favourite Beach Boys album (I think it's superior to even `Pet Sounds'!), I love how the first side is full of cool pop songs, and the flip side is like a trial run for the sophsticated ballads of `Pet Sounds'. It's also one of my favourite pop albums overall, pretty much flawless to my ears!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 02:31

Sagi, I'll double check when I'm back home! I'm actually keen to listen to the album again, I was shattered to find it gone from my Ipod! I'm constantly coming across these little missing albums that I forgot to load back on. For instance, I did the first ten or so Camel albums, including the 80's poppier ones, I went to listen to `Nude' - not there!

Good mention of that `Spoke of Shadows' disc yesterday, mate. Now there's ANOTHER one I need to give a fresh listen to! I remember loving it, possibly even reviewing it, but I don't recall off the top of my head a second of the music!   
Yeah it happens to me alot, I know I love an album but can't remember a note of it...
First of all I'm glad you have that Spoke Of Shadows album, you know every now and then you discover an album that not only you love but also click with you perfectly, this is one of those cases. Not only the ideas are excellent but the playing is just phenomenal, every member shines throughout the album, I found it to be a very inspired album!
Enjoy!

And by chance you've mentioned Nude, you know for some reason I prefer this album to most of their 70's albums! same goes for their last couple of albums Rajaz and A Nod And A Wink, amazing albums imo.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 05:32
The Grid - Four Five Six
Djam Karet - New Dark Age
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 05:52

Ha, now that's the `proggy' in you talking, Sam! Remember, those sort of albums are not aimed at us sort of listeners! But for sure there's definitely parts where the second half goes into an instrumental section, and sure enough the `proggy' in me thinks `Hmmm, they should do that more often....'

Glad you dug `Pure'....how freaking good is that solo on `Indigo'? You know, I honestly feel on that album Barrett and Co do a better version of the heavier modern prog than Porcupine Tree did, and there was a bit of talk when `Pure' came out that it was clearly modelled on the heavy-era PTree discs....

How did you go with `Passion'?
Yeah, maybe LOL I agree, there are some very good moments on the second half. It was surprisingly good though and I'm sure it can become better with more listens. I'll keep an eye out for it.

That solo is epic Clap Probably, I'm not much into heavy PT these days though. I feel the more I listen to these the less I like them Ermm

It was not as good at first listen but I enjoyed it. The rap wasn't bad either Tongue

Tangerine Dream – Official Bootleg: vol 2 – Palais des Congres, Paris March 1978 (Sam, you have GOT to hear this performance, very frantic and up-tempo! Never heard a TD show like it!)

Le Orme - Felona e Sorona 2016 - Hmmmmm, anyone else heard this yet?
That sounds great, I really like when speed things up Tongue I'll give it a listen, after listening to the first one.

No, but is there a remake anywhere as good as the original?

Lots of live music so not many albums this weekend:
Mansun - Six (Very nice find. Listened in the car, waiting for the growling Metal act to end LOL)
Sensible Soccers - Villa Soledade (Funny, I was reading a comment the other day about how original they are and someone replied with Manuel Göttsching/Ashra Tongue)

Edited by Meltdowner - July 25 2016 at 09:51
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 09:54
Yesterday and today:

Nico - Camera Obscura.
Underworld - Barbara Barbara We Face A Shining Future.
Buffalo Tom - Birdbrain.
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore Deluxe Edition (CD 4).
Clock DVA - Horology 2 (Radiophonic Dvations 4 disc).
Bailter Space - Trinine.
Red House Painters - Bridge.
Jesu - Ascension.
Placebo - B3 EP.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:01
Yesterday:
Our Solar System - In Time
Gong - I See You
Black Mountain - IV
Algiers - s/t
Homunculus Res - debut
John Carpenter - Lost Themes ll
Kosmischer Läufer - Vol 3
Jakob Skřtt - All the Colours of the Dust
Causa Sui - Return to Sky
Hatfield and the North - Rotters' Club
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:13
Yesterday:

Camel - Camel
Coldplay - Parachutes
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Les Rallizes Dénudés - Mizutani
Les Rallizes Dénudés - Mizutani 2 With Association Love Songs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:43

Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Honestly, mate, that's my absolute favourite Beach Boys album (I think it's superior to even `Pet Sounds'!), I love how the first side is full of cool pop songs, and the flip side is like a trial run for the sophsticated ballads of `Pet Sounds'. It's also one of my favourite pop albums overall, pretty much flawless to my ears!
I can't say I share nearly as much of a love for it as you do but it has some really great songs on it for sure!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 13:20
Weidorje - Weidorje. I knew it would happen... I frigging love zeuhl, man! This album is the first non-Magma zeuhl album I've listened to (with the exception of that Canterburian Arkham yesterday) and I know it - I love that genre. Many zeuhl fans would kill me for saying that, but I do think it does share numerous common elements with my beloved Canterbury scene. Just probably a bit darker and more... catacomb-like, if you will. This particular album was also an incredible accompaniment to my current lecture - The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. Maybe it was caused by the cover, I don't know, but it really did have that vibe sort of reminiscent of the Martian civilisation in the book. Awesome album! I need more old-school zeuhl, preferably accessible and a bit Canterbury-like, like this one to some extent.
Manuel Göttsching - The Private Tapes Volume 2. Continuing the series with volume two. The recordings are realy sweet. Interestingly, about 70% of the material from the two boxsets comes from 1979. Gottsching's improvisation over those meaty synth bass sequences is really tasty. And if you add Farfisa organ to the elixir...!
Kosmicher Laufer - Volume One. I betcha guys didn't know this one! It is clearly a modern project, recorded in the 21st century, but is claimed to have been recorded by Martin Zeichnete, who was a runner in East Germany and got a job working for the authorities in some Berlin studio with loads of synths to create music that would help create a man-machine, a perfect runner. So, obviously, a lot of motorik beats. This really sounds like a mixture of Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. Also has some Neu! elements. Pretty insteresting, but it's clear that those are modern recordings, just listen to the quality and sounds of some instruments. Pretty interesting, though!
Group 1850 - Agemo's Trip to Mother Earth. I like this record. Nothing particularly fascinating, but pretty innovative for 1968. You can hear traces of Pink Floyd and Tomorrow plus some psychedelic rock and proto-prog cliches. But, it's a very pleasant listen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 23:44
The Beach Boys - "Sunflower"
Crass - "The Feeding of the Five Thousand"
The Beach Boys - "In Concert"
Black Flag - "The First Four Years"
Bill Evans Trio - "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
Bill Evans Trio - "Waltz for Debby"
Nina Simone - "Little Girl Blue"
The Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 01:55
Monday...

Triptonus - Triptonus
Castle - Welcome To The Graveyard
For The Oracle - Kind Child
The Cosmic Dead - Inner Sanctum
Isaak - The Longer The Beard The Harder The Sound
The Kings Of Frog Island - The Kings Of Frog Island
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 03:11
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Kosmicher Laufer - Volume One. I betcha guys didn't know this one! It is clearly a modern project, recorded in the 21st century, but is claimed to have been recorded by Martin Zeichnete, who was a runner in East Germany and got a job working for the authorities in some Berlin studio with loads of synths to create music that would help create a man-machine, a perfect runner. So, obviously, a lot of motorik beats. This really sounds like a mixture of Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. Also has some Neu! elements. Pretty insteresting, but it's clear that those are modern recordings, just listen to the quality and sounds of some instruments. Pretty interesting, though!
David mentioned them on this page Tongue I also heard their three albums recently, great stuff! I don't see the need for a bogus story though.

Yesterday:
Ad Maiora - s/t
Gentle Giant - Power and the Glory (A curious surround mix, with lots of things happening in the rear speakers. It's strange, I'd be happier if another GG reissue was announced than a new SWilson album LOL)
Electric Moon - Theory of Mind (Probably my favourite from them, although I'm not sure what makes a EM album great. It's impossible for me to review this kind of music Tongue)
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 06:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yesterday:

John Carpenter - Lost Themes ll

This I have not got around to hearing yet.  Shame on me.  Does it come recommended?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 506507508509510 511>