Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Steven Wilson solo album due out in February
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Steven Wilson solo album due out in February

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 13:34
Awesome cover indeed.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 16:38
I don't really like the cover. Little too tim burton-y for me.

but it could be worse.

I like the title though. Tongue

Edited by Man With Hat - December 02 2012 at 16:39
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 17:41
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

but it could be worse.

Would this version be a little more acceptable for Da Fusion Man w/Hat:

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 18:01
Cool....I heard Luminol live in Seattle on GfD tour.....My wife liked the song, as I did, If she liked it the new album should be good Wink....

What excites me is the band....That was an excellent line up he assemblked for the tour...And having Alan Parsons involved the sound should be glorious!

Edited by Catcher10 - December 02 2012 at 18:02
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 18:19
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

but it could be worse.

Would this version be a little more acceptable for Da Fusion Man w/Hat:

Absolutely not. Wink
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 16:31
PRE-ORDERS ARE UP FOR THE RAVEN!! So... Anyone else angry about the pre-order costs overseas for The Raven That Refused To Sing? I live in the US of A, and the shipping added another $25. So, the total for the deluxe edition comes out to be... $100.25!

Now I would pay $75 (at the most) for this monster-masterpiece that it's going to be. But $100.25? Perhaps I won't buy the deluxe edition, then. Sorry Wilson, I love you, but this is insane. Maybe once the pre-orders head over to the official Steven Wilson website, THEN it shall be cheaper. (I sure hope so)
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 16:38
Argh, why did they have to put the pre order link up, so close to Christmas? I can't really justify the expense of such a lavish deluxe edition, when I've spent all my money on Xmas presents. Hope there are still some left in the new year. I might be forced to skip the deluxe edition this time around (I usually am a sucker for all of SW's deluxe releases). What do you get in the deluxe? I think it has the extra CD of demo versions, and the Blu ray with isolated instrumental tracks. Can I live without that? 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 17:07
If they were selling it for $9.99 incl. shipping, would you treasure and cherish it?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 20:49
I think GFD cost me $9.99 at my local record store.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 22:10
I'm not getting this, since I think GFD is extremely overrated, and I'm not a big fan of it to begin with.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 23:10
I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, quite expensive but I couldn't resist it.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 01:46
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

If they were selling it for $9.99 incl. shipping, would you treasure and cherish it?

It depends on if it included the 128-page hardback book and bonus instrumental tracks, then yes!!

But I suppose $100 is reasonable for a blu-ray disk. That in itself is $40 right there!
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, quite expensive but I couldn't resist it.

Give me a few days, and I'm pre-ordering this with my (incoming) Christmas money. Something I'll cherish forever, I just know it. After listening to the live video of Luminol, I knew it's going to be...

Collaborator's Top Prog Album of 2013
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
zerothehero76 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 07:21
I too am a die-hard fan of first, Floydesque, PT. So, I think The Incident is a good step backward to that "spacey" sound, even if my favourite PT's are from first period: the sky move sideways, stupid dream and coma divine.
By the way, I think solo SW's projects are somehow a shift in perspective, from pink floyd to king crimson.
I'll listen to (and eventually buy) this new one.

Lord Jagged View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 12:58
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'm not getting this, since I think GFD is extremely overrated, and I'm not a big fan of it to begin with.

Ok. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:32
The basic edition is $32 (about 20US) to where I am, so I'm gonna wait until the stores have it. May be a while though, but I think I can wait.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:48
I have the deluxe hardbook editions of Anesthetize and Grace For Drowning. The deluxe one of this is tempting, but I really can't justify the expense at the moment. Hope there's some left in the new year. If not, I can make do with the standard one. How often do you actually listen to the demo versions, or isolated instrumental tracks anyway?

Being a hardcore SW fan sure can be expensive.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 18:09
I will definately get this but not sure which edition yet.

^^^^
Totally agree, SW is an  extremely expensive hobby  !
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 13:50
Ever watch the Walking Dead? I love that show, but I think it was an article on cracked.com that said it best when they said (paraphrasing) "most people love the show because of how good it can be, not because of how good it is." This seems to be what's going on with most Wilson fans, I think. Don't get me wrong, when he's on top of his game he's one of my favorite artists. Barring the most recent Blackfield album which I barely consider him a part of, he hasn't in my eyes released a bad album since early PT, the pre In Absentia stuff. But most of the time he's not amazing. GFD seems to be a perfect example of that, half the songs are great, but then you get a pretentious bloated number like "Index," or a one that just seems unfinished, as in "No part of me."

But he's in the perfect position to be great. He's an excellent producer, at least appears artistically genuine, isn't in a position where he has to please a commercial audience (which he was in risk of being in PT), loves classic prog and pays tribute to it without being a "retro" artist just knocking off the golden age greats, and surrounds himself with great musicians. Not only that, he always seems like he's progressing and is constantly on the verge of being an even better musician. Looking at his solo career as an extension of PT, he's really just growing an adopting new genre's. You had the psychedelic influence of early PT, which was then integrated with a more poppy sound on things like Lightbulb sun, then the metal influence that was developed in In Absentia, and now a Jazz influence that's driving his solo career. To say that he's "dropping metal" because he's tired of it is ridiculous. Listen to GFD again and the metal influence is there, he's just learning how better to integrate it with everything else. He's obviously tired of doing straight metal coz', well, quite frankly he doesn't have the chops on the guitar to do much better, and with what he was limited to, it is pretty boring and limiting. 

If The Incident is the last PT album that's pretty okay with me. Although it's not my favorite album by them it seemed to be a pretty good cap of everything they were trying to do, make a concept album that was cohesive and isolated, and an entertaining journey. It seemed to be a pretty decent mix of the different genres the band had played. Plus, wouldn't "I drive the hearse" be kind of a poetic note to end on? That being said, I think it's possible that Wilson might crank out another album with them if he gets to low on money. He doesn't have the same draw as a solo artist, and he keeps hinting in interviews that he's pretty low on money, talking about how expensive it is to tour and whatnot. I mean, hell, last year he released "Catalogue/Preserve/Amass" to fund his tour and signed thousands of CD's. I wouldn't sign up for all those hand cramps for nothing.

Oh, and Fear of A Blank Planet was the worst album PT put out since 2002. Lyrics/concept were garbage, the music wasn't really too ambitious or different for them. It wasn't bad, but by no means there best. Nil Recurring, though, top notch.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 13:59
Originally posted by Floydian42 Floydian42 wrote:

Ever watch the Walking Dead? I love that show, but I think it was an article on cracked.com that said it best when they said (paraphrasing) "most people love the show because of how good it can be, not because of how good it is." This seems to be what's going on with most Wilson fans, I think. Don't get me wrong, when he's on top of his game he's one of my favorite artists. Barring the most recent Blackfield album which I barely consider him a part of, he hasn't in my eyes released a bad album since early PT, the pre In Absentia stuff. But most of the time he's not amazing. GFD seems to be a perfect example of that, half the songs are great, but then you get a pretentious bloated number like "Index," or a one that just seems unfinished, as in "No part of me."

But he's in the perfect position to be great. He's an excellent producer, at least appears artistically genuine, isn't in a position where he has to please a commercial audience (which he was in risk of being in PT), loves classic prog and pays tribute to it without being a "retro" artist just knocking off the golden age greats, and surrounds himself with great musicians. Not only that, he always seems like he's progressing and is constantly on the verge of being an even better musician. Looking at his solo career as an extension of PT, he's really just growing an adopting new genre's. You had the psychedelic influence of early PT, which was then integrated with a more poppy sound on things like Lightbulb sun, then the metal influence that was developed in In Absentia, and now a Jazz influence that's driving his solo career. To say that he's "dropping metal" because he's tired of it is ridiculous. Listen to GFD again and the metal influence is there, he's just learning how better to integrate it with everything else. He's obviously tired of doing straight metal coz', well, quite frankly he doesn't have the chops on the guitar to do much better, and with what he was limited to, it is pretty boring and limiting. 

If The Incident is the last PT album that's pretty okay with me. Although it's not my favorite album by them it seemed to be a pretty good cap of everything they were trying to do, make a concept album that was cohesive and isolated, and an entertaining journey. It seemed to be a pretty decent mix of the different genres the band had played. Plus, wouldn't "I drive the hearse" be kind of a poetic note to end on? That being said, I think it's possible that Wilson might crank out another album with them if he gets to low on money. He doesn't have the same draw as a solo artist, and he keeps hinting in interviews that he's pretty low on money, talking about how expensive it is to tour and whatnot. I mean, hell, last year he released "Catalogue/Preserve/Amass" to fund his tour and signed thousands of CD's. I wouldn't sign up for all those hand cramps for nothing.

Oh, and Fear of A Blank Planet was the worst album PT put out since 2002. Lyrics/concept were garbage, the music wasn't really too ambitious or different for them. It wasn't bad, but by no means there best. Nil Recurring, though, top notch.

Have you heard Raven? If not, then you're about to be proven wrong. There's no filler on this one and IMO it's his best since the incident. But a lot of people didn't like the Incident so many will say it's his best since FOABP.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 14:14
^The Incident was great (but Grace for Drowning is a killer). The Incident had just too much of useless fillers, like any other big concept, maybe because of them it was a bit misunderstood. Anyway it holds pretty high rating on the archives, so it's not that underrated at all.
This night wounds time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>