Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRating The Classics - Yes: Drama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which rating would be the most appropriate for this album ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [6.78%]
26 [44.07%]
22 [37.29%]
3 [5.08%]
3 [5.08%]
1 [1.69%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rating The Classics - Yes: Drama
    Posted: November 30 2012 at 16:34
A pretty mixed album. Some say that it is underrated, while other say that without Jon Anderson, there is no Yes so this album isn't good. Here are quotes from reviews of this album by members of PA:

2 starsTurns out I don't like Drama as much as I thought I remembered. Most likely the second or third time I heard it, I started to get into some of the music, because there are some good sections in some of the songs. - 7headedchicken

4 starsAnother great album Yes.Ok, Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman are not here, but so what? Trevor Horn can not sing like Anderson (although their voices are similar), but Geoff Downes playing much better than Wakeman in "Tormato (there keyboards are a disgrace). - voliveira

3 starsThis Yes album is really not my favorite but as got some good stuff. It's a good album and it sounds a bit like the old Yes. The bass lines are awesome but some songs like Run in through the light get very long and are at the base not great. - The_Jester

4 starsFor me "Drama" is one of the stronger Yes albums. The sound is very sharp, with Chris Squire very much to the fore. The Buggles influence is not that apparent, in fact it is interesting to hear the Buggles track "I am a camera" and compare it to "Into the lens", the Yes interpretation of that track. While the two are recognisable as being the same song, the electro-pop of the Buggles is transformed into a decent slice of prog. - Easy Livin

4 starsOne of those albums I was taken by surprise. This album has been often maligned thanks to the absence of Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman. In their place was both guys from the BUGGLES (as in the hit "Video Killed the Radio Star", which became the very first video MTV ever played, by the way), Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn. To be honest, I thought this album was better than "Tormato". They were no longer inflicting me with such infantile crap as "Circus of Heaven" here, and the band was going for a harder-edge approach. Plus it's nice to see Roger Dean return and give us some artwork, as he did here. - Proghead

1 starsThis was the album where Yes lost the plot!! I know because I was there and saw the band on this tour (oh dear). The Buggles, and video ,may have killed the radio star but Yes surely did'nt have to recruit The Buggles to replace the vocalist and the keyboards player. Trevor Horn was never really going to be a replacement for Jon Anderson and whoever dreamed this up made a monumental error in my opinion.None of the tracks are particularly memorable and the only good thing about it is the album cover.Give it a miss. - horza

4 starsDrama is a criminally underrated Yes album. Just because it doesn't feature the 'classic' line up, many automatically dismiss it as a bad record, mostly without ever giving it the time of day. The songs on it are some of the strongest Yes ever recorded. - arcer

3 starsFirst time I heard “Machine Messiah” I thought – dang, is this some sort of collaboration with Black Sabbath or what? And why is Jon Anderson leaning on Chris Squire so much for vocal support? Boy, little did I know….. - ClemofNazareth

5 starsI can't help but think it was this record that brought Jon Anderson back to the band. C'mon Jon, admit it, the boys did an amazing job and popped out one of the best things in Yes' catalog. The fact that it was not as musically intricate as previous Yes outings didn't mean it wasn't a kick-ass release, and one of the best things to emerge from the comatose progressive rock scene in 1980. - Atavachron

5 starsDrama has slightly more of an 80's sound compared to earlier albums, but it is still far, far away from the more commercial 90125 or Big Generator. Indeed, this album is much more in line with earlier Yes albums than what might be expected given the radical changes in the line up. Such vital members as Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman were here replaced by Geoffrey Downes and Trevor Horn of The Buggles of all people! Geoff and Steve Howe would later form Asia. But Drama - thankfully! - does not sound anything like The Buggles or Asia. Drama is still very much a classic Yes album and, in my opinion, an improvement over Tormato, Going For The One, Relayer and Tales From Topographic Oceans. - SouthSideoftheSky

4 starsIt's very sad to see how this excellent album is misunderstood and underrated by the Jon Anderson fans, yes it's true that Trevor Horn is not Jon...But what about that?
I always believed that the weakest link in YES was Jon's voice, well in Drama we have the chance to listen the band after the infamous Tormato and with a new vocalist, the results couldn't had been better, Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes gave YES another life after almost every reasonable fan believed the band was dead and buried, sadly this new breeze lasted only one album. - Ivan_Melgar_M

3 starsIf you were to follow Yes' career, you might expect this album to really blow. Going for the One was good, but it was a step down from the reach that Yes had had with the three albums beforehand. Tormato was a clear step in the wrong direction for most fans. - TheGazzardian

4 starsYes met the new decade with another lineup change and a strong studio album release. I guess that if someone would predict that Yes members would collaborate with a New Wave band, fans would have dismissed that though completely. But here we are 25 years later acknowledging that same fact! - Rune2000

3 starsDrama marks the entrance of a new vocalist for Yes, Trevor Horn. The change isn't really all that significant or noticeable though, as the vocals are still in the Jon Anderson style. The music here is roughly the same as on Relayer but with more coherence, but all together better and more interesting than Tormato. - colorofmoney91

4 starsNow that Yes have released an album with Benoit David on lead vocals, perhaps it's a good idea to give Drama another look. After all, before Fly From Here it rather stuck out as being the sole Yes album not to feature Jon Anderson - now, it looks like Yes albums without Jon are not going to be quite so unusual. - Warthur

By the way, thanks Logan for the poll idea.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 17:33
3 stars, it's an alright album. It just doesn't get the most plays by me.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 17:39
Bleh. 3* at most.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 18:13
It's quite good album, better than most of the albums Yes did later. Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are great tracks - great enough to give it 4 stars... Maybe it's because this one was the second record I heard from Yes sometime in 1982/1983 (the first one was Close To The Edge).
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 18:37
Excellent Yes album.  Four stars.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 18:41
I gave it 5 stars. A great album and one of my favourites. The band really kicks a** on this album!! The performances of Howe, Squire and White are some of the best work of their careers IMO.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 18:43
Very good Album, 3.5 rounded to 4 stars
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 18:46
Easy 4 stars - One or two great mini epics, a whole bunch of good shorter songs and one inoffensive throwaway - `Man In A White Car'!

I avoided this album for quite a while fearing the worst, instead it's one of my favourite Yes albums, and they've certainly had poorer albums.

I always defend this one!
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 19:24
2 stars. im not the biggest yes fan to begin with, so i pretty much never play this album. 
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 19:34
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 21:46
3-4...probably about 3.75.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 22:50
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

3 stars, it's an alright album. It just doesn't get the most plays by me.

This.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 23:37
I have rated it three stars.  Both Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are great tracks, but the rest of album does not quite come up to the same par.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 23:52
Solid 3.5 stars, I like it quite alot.....Tempus Fugit is the track that wore out its welcome very quickly.  The rest holds up well.

Also where I got off the Yes train.  It's really the only post-Relayer album I can get into any more.

Edited by Finnforest - November 30 2012 at 23:59

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 00:32
I own it on vinyl but have yet to listen (don't want to bother with any records till I get a new player. The one i have is a half broken sh*tty portable from the early 70s that makes listening to records a chore)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 01:11
I think it's much better than Close To The Edge.

Nahhh....just kidding but definitely 4 star. I don't care if Anderson is there or not, I think the material is great. I love every track on that album even the shorter ones, Trevor Horn did a great job. It's true it has a poppy vibe to it but it works very well.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 02:56

4 , drama is a very good album, but not a strong 4 , more like 3,6.

Edited by tamijo - December 01 2012 at 02:59
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 03:30
4 stars

after CTTE, Fragile and The Yes Album (all 5 stars) and Going For The One (4.5) I like it as much as anything else Yes did.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 03:34
Didn't know it was a classic, but 4 stars from me.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 05:16
1 star. I've heard it 2 times and it's 3 times too much ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>