Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Robert Fripp Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 10:10
I haven't read all the posts here but i think if anything he's under-rated. I mean how many times does his name pop up in the most influential or best guitarist lists. Of course he would be near the top of such lists done on Prog sites but i mean on other music sites i don't think he's even considered.
Did he not come up with that angular style of playing ?  
I'll have to re-read that article but i know Omar from The Mars Volta was blown away when he first heard Fripp because it was a style of playing that he was seeking to do.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 10:41
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

In  what way is  Lizard a copy of Court? Lizard is unique.
I think he means Poseidon which does share a lots of themes with Court though is still an excellent album.  Lizard is a unique album in KC's catalog.

Fixing it ... sorry.

The professor (Snow Dog) got me ... !!!!

Hopefully you won't have memory lapses when you get to 62 and have pains all over and .... and .... and ... makes the music seem even better and important as the inspiration that it always was!

Edited by moshkito - December 17 2012 at 10:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 18:18
No.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 18:33
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

In  what way is  Lizard a copy of Court? Lizard is unique.
I think he means Poseidon which does share a lots of themes with Court though is still an excellent album.  Lizard is a unique album in KC's catalog.

Fixing it ... sorry.

The professor (Snow Dog) got me ... !!!!

Hopefully you won't have memory lapses when you get to 62 and have pains all over and .... and .... and ... makes the music seem even better and important as the inspiration that it always was!

Everyone makes mistakes.  It is human. I was wondering what you could possibly have meant for a while there. I wanted to hear why Lizard was  a copy of Court. Now I never will....Ouch  Wink
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 19:24
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Yes or No?
No.

After all, he saved progressive rock genre with Discipline the album.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 23:51
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

RF is terrible underrated, in the about 40 years I have known about him, have hardly seen anything about him outside strictly prog circles, compared to almost anyone in (Rock) music, he is in the shades.
I agreed.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 00:57

Yes or No?

No.  I've played guitar & bass for over 40 years and have yet to meet another player with Fripp's unique sonic vocabulary.  I've enjoyed meeting Bob, he's absolutely brilliant.  This is nice... 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 09:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Yes or No?

No.  I've played guitar & bass for over 40 years and have yet to meet another player with Fripp's unique sonic vocabulary.  I've enjoyed meeting Bob, he's absolutely brilliant. 

Not that I would want to take that away from you, but I need to have you meet Egberto Gismonti (check his early stuff!) and then Jon McGlothlen ... it should warm you up really good.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Yes or No?

No.  I've played guitar & bass for over 40 years and have yet to meet another player with Fripp's unique sonic vocabulary.  I've enjoyed meeting Bob, he's absolutely brilliant. 

Not that I would want to take that away from you, but I need to have you meet Egberto Gismonti (check his early stuff!) and then Jon McGlothlen ... it should warm you up really good.

Thanks, I'll look into them! 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 15:35
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I'll have to re-read that article but i know Omar from The Mars Volta was blown away when he first heard Fripp because it was a style of playing that he was seeking to do.

Which, in so many ways, shows how well folks mis-interpret Robert Fripp!

It's not a "style" ... it's an "expression" ... and how you color/paint/add/subtract/something to color what you mean ... with your instrument.

I call this "theater of the instrument" ... something that is hard to fathom and understand, which has a LOT less to do with music itslef, than it does with how you felt at the time!

Look at it this way ... do you really think that Jimi Hendrix plays with his teeth, and then sets his guitar on fire, because of all the notes on the staff, or his musical knowledge? ... NOOOOO ... it's because it was an expression that fit the time and place and what was all around him!

You can NOT, teach that ... it has to be something that you FEEL, and you learn for yourself how to express it! ... and this is the problem with a lot of "prog" and "copy" music, when all it is is ... sounding the same, with a different voice, and a different name on the guitar!

Look at Robert's guitar work in all the pieces in ITCOTCK ... and how different they all are ... and not even close to each other at all ... and that is something that most guitarists are afraid to do ... and lose track of the band or the music ... and Robert made sure that his band could do something like this ... that featured "expression" rather than anything else ... and of course ... a few years later we think it is heavenly ... and he is still studied ... but then, what great composer the last 500 years has not been studied for his great talent and help in defining music?

Omar, could use learning that liking Robert is one thing ... playing it ... is not gonna happen! ... he is not Robert! You can learn the notes all day ... but standing there and playing Purple Haze, or All Along the Watchtower ... is simply not gonna come even close to the man who did it ... and believed in it ... all the way to heaven and hell forwards and backwards ... this I think Omar lacks! Or as we used to say in the old days ... he simply needs to get stoned!

Edited by moshkito - December 22 2012 at 15:39
www.pedrosena.com
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 19:28
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Yes or No?
No.

ClapClapClap
ClapClap

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - December 22 2012 at 19:33
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 19:32

Yes or No?
No.

Originally posted by Svetonio

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112

Yes or No?
No.

he didn't save prog rock with Discipline, remember the band was on hiatus from 75-80 I 'd argue that Rush saved prog rock when others were either going extinct or "selling out" with 2112-Moving Pictures then they came back with Discipline, all you guys are acting as if Fripp is god or something, I know I'm gonna hear about it from someone

“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 19:49
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Fripp is not over-rated.

Prog metal, for the most part, is.

Yeah, I'm sure it is overratedLOLLOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 21:00

Yes or No?

No.

he didn't save prog rock with Discipline,
remember the band was on hiatus from 75-80 I 'd argue that Rush saved
prog rock when others were either going extinct or "selling out" with 2112-Moving Pictures then they came back with Discipline, all you guys are acting as if Fripp is god or something, I know I'm gonna hear about it from someone
You are gonna hear that a lot around here. And Fripp is God. Ask Jesus.

Still waiting for more silly laughs.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 22 2012 at 21:02
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 21:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Yes or No?

No.

he didn't save prog rock with Discipline,
remember the band was on hiatus from 75-80 I 'd argue that Rush saved
prog rock when others were either going extinct or "selling out" with 2112-Moving Pictures then they came back with Discipline, all you guys are acting as if Fripp is god or something, I know I'm gonna hear about it from someone
You are gonna hear that a lot around here. And Fripp is God. Ask Jesus.

Still waiting for more silly laughs.

He has a point about Rush.  They were holding the fort down during the late 70's (even though they weren't actually considered prog at the time).
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 23:20

he didn't save prog rock with Discipline, remember the band was on hiatus from 75-80 I 'd argue that Rush saved prog rock when others were either going extinct or "selling out" with 2112-Moving Pictures then they came back with Discipline, all you guys are acting as if Fripp is god or something, I know I'm gonna hear about it from someone

The BAND may have been on a hiatus from 75-80 but who says the members were idle during that time?  Fripp got busy with Eno and then contributed to Talking Heads and released an interesting solo album.   In the meantime, Wetton was free to be a part of UK which was a last ditch effort to maintain a high profile for symph prog.  Bruford too began to make his own albums.   Fripp's approach is more evolved than rock's typically adamant insistence on the original lineup being together at all times.   Members leave and then return to work with King Crimson or Crimson related lineups years later (like Mel Collins on Scarcity of Miracles) because the music is bigger than individuals. 

So, in short, no, Fripp & Co did not ditch prog during that phase.   Not many actually did, barring maybe ELP and Genesis.  And even there, Hackett was free to pursue a fruitful solo career.  The biggest of all, Floyd, were actually very strong during that period and Tull came out with Songs of the Wood and Heavy Horses.  There was a lot of prog from 1975-80...if you care to look beyond the obvious.   

Edited by rogerthat - December 23 2012 at 08:57
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 00:09
Nothing is overrated. If people like it, people will rate it highly. Vice versa. 
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 01:06
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

He has a point about Rush.  They were holding the fort down during the late 70's (even though they weren't actually considered prog at the time).
Rush was not the only 'prog' band keeping prog alive in the later 1970s (after Genesis, Yes, ELP, etc., seemed to have abandoned it in that time period).  UK (self-titled & 'Danger Money') did its share (opening for Jethro Tull on the 'Heavy Horses' tour).  I also think Camel kept the 'prog' flame alive at that time, at least until Peter Bardens left...
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 03:22

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Do you really think Rush was the most progressive band during the 80's?? Dig a little deeper there were dozens of bands playing new, exciting and experimental music, from all over the world.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 13:33
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Nothing is overrated. If people like it, people will rate it highly. Vice versa. 

Sure ... and if you are a radio station and only play ten songs, then you gonna say that people don't like the other stuff! ... they never heard it! .... LOOK ... it was because of this that progressive music came alive ... with long cuts and everything else, that you could "not" play on radio!

Please see that ... the comment is the reason why we were "there" ... automatically assuming that people were too stupid to know any music out there, and give them "what they want" when the fact is ... the company/owner giving you what he/she wants instead.

Remember the Soc 101 ... in America 3% of the people control 97% of the money and any other controlling interests in anything you can think of! And music/record companies are that 3% ... and they will not advise, suggest, accept anything that does NOT give them the money ... to the point of excluding artists and not deliver them. This happened with WEA 30 years ago!

This was the argument we had in the 70's with the early FM radio ... and the answer was? ... THEY WERE WRONG ... if you play it, there are people that will like it, and buy it.

End of story ... this is the greates malady in radio ever ... your comments is the mantra for 99.9% of the folks running radio stations to make sure they can get the money! .. Same for the XM/Sirius sham!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2012 at 13:38
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>