Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClose To The Edge or Red?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Close To The Edge or Red?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [39.82%]
68 [60.18%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:51
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Nobody listens to the Grateful Dead.

But I certainly do. Besides, Terrapin Station (the song) is good piece of "prog", if judged by its complexity, duration and the lyrics. 
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:07
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

:(

still, i think it is simply ridiculous to say "composition>improvisation". imo the best compositions usually involve improvisation to a certain degree, and I also like a lot of music that is composed through improvisation itself...

How about this
COMPLEX Composition>Improvisation

That's what I iniltially meant, f**kAngryAngry

And improvisation cannot be complex?   Should I seriously choose a set of, say, Spocks Beard over Barbara Dennerlein or Bela Fleck?  Why on earth?  Apart from all this, complexity is not everything in music and it is also a very broad based concept, nothing to be pigeon-holed in the way you are attempting to.

Improvisation is merely spontaneous composition.  Ergo, composition (complex or not) cannot be inherently greater than improvisation.

To the thread topic...although I love both, Close to the Edge is pretty close to untouchable.  It deserves its top spot in our top 100 albums list, imo (even though its not my personal favorite).
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:15
I prefer KC to Yes but prefer CTTE (IMO by far the best Yes album) to Red (just not a big fan of the heavy prog sound)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 18:31
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

still, i think it is simply ridiculous to say "composition>improvisation". imo the best compositions usually involve improvisation to a certain degree, and I also like a lot of music that is composed through improvisation itself...

How about this

And improvisation cannot be complex?   Should I seriously choose a set of, say, Spocks Beard over Barbara Dennerlein or Bela Fleck?  Why on earth?  Apart from all this, complexity is not everything in music and it is also a very broad based concept, nothing to be pigeon-holed in the way you are attempting to.

Improvisation is merely spontaneous composition.  Ergo, composition (complex or not) cannot be inherently greater than improvisation.

Yes, good point.  Besides even Yes apparently used to create their music through jam sessions so what he is referring to is simply the difference between organized and linear music and more chaotic and less linear music on the other hand.  
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 09:23
Close to the edge is the one for me
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 14:04

m I the only one who thinks One More Red Nightmare is brillliant? People always talk about the title track and Starless (which is admittedly amazing) but I never hear much talk about that one. It's one of my all time favorite Crimson tracks.
No, you're right. It's brilliant! One of my favourite KC tracks too.
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Providence > Red (title track)
I agree with you wholeheartedly!
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Red.

What's wrong with Providence? Better than most of the tracks, improvs or not, on SaBB, IMO.

Yes it is. And I dare say it's my favorite track on Red!
It's great, but it's not my favourite. Would put it fourth behind Fallen Angel, Starless and One More Red Nightmare. But all the tracks on Red are great! That's more than I can say about CttE. The title track is amazing, and the other two have their moments, but they're not consistent enough, IMO. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

How about this

To the thread topic...although I love both, Close to the Edge is pretty close to untouchable.  It deserves its top spot in our top 100 albums list, imo (even though its not my personal favorite).

Complex composition is well thought-out while improv loses any genuine feel its just pussyfooting and it doesn't go anywhere,sorry

I much rather prefer something like The Cinema Show over say a Moonchild. Why? It's well crafted and complex and well thoughtout while Moonchild is a waste of time CoolCoolCool
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:33

Complex composition is well thought-out while improv loses any genuine feel its just pussyfooting and it doesn't go anywhere,sorry

I much rather prefer something like The Cinema Show over say a Moonchild. Why? It's well crafted and complex and well thoughtout while Moonchild is a waste of time CoolCoolCool

Er, what??  Improv brings about a vital human element in the music as also an element of surprise/chance.   But I guess you perhaps love listening to Celine Dion play pre recorded tracks while she pretends to perform live.  Tongue  I mean, well thought composition (and by implication, its immaculate reproduction) is better than improv, right? Wink

And, besides, what are you doing listening to prog, which is based on rock and which in turn is based on blues?  Blues has always been about flawed spontaneity and not calculated precision.  

Edited by rogerthat - December 20 2012 at 00:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:42

Er, what??  Improv brings about a vital human element in the music as also an element of surprise/chance.   But I guess you perhaps love listening to Celine Dion play pre recorded tracks while she pretends to perform live.  Tongue  I mean, well thought composition (and by implication, its immaculate reproduction) is better than improv, right? Wink

And, besides, what are you doing listening to prog, which is based on rock and which in turn is based on blues?  Blues has always been about flawed spontaneity and not calculated precision.  

Wait wait wait I can't listen to Prog just because of what I said, give me a break!!!!!
I'm so sorry if I'm making you rethink everything about King Crimson jeeshWackoWacko
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:44

Wait wait wait I can't listen to Prog just because of what I said, give me a break!!!!!

I hate to ask this question but how old are you?   And what at all do you know about the history of rock music?  If any school teaches you that improvisation in rock is nonsense, you need to find a different one asap....but I doubt they would, so stop fibbing.

I'm so sorry if I'm making you rethink everything about King Crimson jeeshWackoWacko

You flatter yourself way, way too much. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:47

I hate to ask this question but how old are you?   And what at all do you know about the history of rock music?  If any school teaches you that improvisation in rock is nonsense, you need to find a different one asap....but I doubt they would, so stop fibbing.
It says he is 23. No offense to Mr. PM2112 here, but it's a little hard to believe that he is 23.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 20 2012 at 00:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

It says he is 23. No offense to Mr. PM2112 here, but it's a little hard to believe that he is 23.

I am exactly 23 years of age I'm sorry that Crimson doesn't appeal to me we all have some artists that don't appeal to us, I don't know why you can't see that
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:53

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I am exactly 23 years of age I'm sorry that Crimson doesn't appeal to me we all have some artists that don't appeal to us, I don't know why you can't see that

And your dislike for KC automatically implies that composition is better than improvisation?  How?  Explain your statements...don't just make them and run for shelter under the "it's my opinion" clause.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:54

No no you just don't let others have a stab/take on an artist, I gotta go back to reading I don't want to cause anything bad, damn it!!
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:58

No no you just don't let others have a stab/take on an artist, I gotta go back to reading I don't want to cause anything bad, damn it!!

You are absolutely entitled to have your 'take' on any artist as long as you don't trample on others and mock them...as you did to Gandalff saying that KC make him headbang and as long as you don't pass off your opinions as objective statements which you have been doing a lot on this and many other threads.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 01:24

I can give you hundred oposite examples of incredible imrovised songs vs. sh*ty prog songs, does it mean that I think improvisation is better than studio tracks? No.
If you don't like improvised stuff that's ok, I respect that, there are people who can't listen to live concerts that's ok too. Don't mix your personal tastes with facts.

I happen to love Moonchild, I don't know I just love it. Am I wrong? Do I like crapy music?
(Please don't answer that)
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 07:00
My favourite two albums of all times. Voted for Red.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 09:18
I've never heard either.  Heard some of both, sure, but not nearly enough to vote.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 10:05

The former piece (shown in sheet music) is one of the most complex compositions ever written.  It is also one of the worst.  The second piece (the video) was entirely improvised by Johann Sebastian Bach (that's how Fantasias were composed; the composer would make something up on the spot, and then write the whole thing down).  It's a great piece of Baroque music.

Is Bach "pussyfooting" here?  Would you disagree that his improvised piece is far superior to many of today's compositions?
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 12:21
Now I want to hear a performance of the former piece. Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>