FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 320>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: read any good books lately...
    Posted: July 16 2023 at 14:23
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 14:05
Currently rereading this......been a Delillo fan for many years.
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/28701

Edited by dr wu23 - July 16 2023 at 14:06
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 10:57
I am now reading Words Of The Dragon, a series of articles with interviews with Bruce Lee.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 08:29
I'm currently reading The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson. People may recall the movie The Incredible Shrinking Man which was a great movie for its time (1957). The book however doesn't follow a linear timeline like the movie does. Instead we follow poor Scott from when he starts to shrink and when he is trapped in the cellar at less than an inch tall. It's a tragic story and the book pulls no punches - like when he is nearly abused by a paedophile who thinks he's a small boy and when he first starts staying in the cellar during the day he becomes a voyeur, ogling the frumpy child minder (things that the movie left out). Of course the we now know the science of this was way out and Richard Matheson was going to update the story to account for this. Still a great read though.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 11:46
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I am currently reading Neil Peart's book Ghost Rider.

I read that some years ago. Unfortunately I don't remember much about it except that I liked it. Another Peart book that I've read was the one where he told about his bike (bicycle, not motorbike) trips in Africa. That was a good one, too. 

I just finished Dashiell Hammett's "The Dain Curse" which was very good. I've been into detective stories lately. 

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 11:26
^ Is it anything like Vogon poetry?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 11:18
Recent Purchased:- The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump. It's only a short book. Took me all of half an hour to read from back to front. Tongue

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 17:46
I am currently reading Neil Peart's book Ghost Rider.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 15:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Currently reading:-

A Year at the Circus: Inside Trump's White House - by Jon Sopel
The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist - by Kerry Daynes
Berlin: The Downfall 1945 - by Antony Beevor
Spaceman: An Astronaut's Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe - by Mike Massimino
Pigs Might Fly:  The Inside Story of Pink Floyd - by Mark Blake
No. 10:  The Geography of Power at Downing Street - by Jack Brown
Once Upon a Time in Iraq: History of a Modern Tragedy - by James Bluemel and Dr. Renad Mansour

I"m curious about Once Upon a Time in Iraq: History of a Modern Tragedy - by James Bluemel and Dr. Renad Mansour.   I like geopolitical/history books

I recently read Unqualified Reservations by Mencius Moldbug (Curtis Yarvin) Curtis is a Monarchist and Political power theorist...among other things. 

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 14:43
 I've Reread in 2023

Ulysses- James Joyce
Tom Jones- Henry Fielding
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy 
The Sound And Fury- William Faulkner
Kristin Laveransdatter - Sigrid Undset

First Time 2023 Reads

Concepts of Genetics- William Klug and Michael Cummings
The Machiavellians by James Burnham
Spore- John Skipp & Cody Goodfellow
Unqualified Reservations- Menicus  Moldbug
At Our Wits' End : Why We're Becoming Less Intelligent and What It Means for the Future- Edward Dutton and Michael A. Woodley of Menie

Classical ElectrodynamicsJohn David Jackson   ( preordered Jackson's new book- A Course in Quantum Mechanics)   That said, Jackson passed in 2016.  The book will be based on his lectures.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 11 2023 at 15:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 11:24
Just purchased today for £2.50 from a charity shop in Newark:- Donald J. Trump - You Can't Spell America Without ME: The Really Tremendous Inside Story of My Fantastic First Year as President. LOL

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 11 2023 at 11:30
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2022 at 07:25
The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
The Mist by Stephen King
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 04:13
I've just finished Stephen King's Danse Macabre - a Non-fiction book about horror fiction in print, TV, radio, film and comics. Some of the books he mentions in it sounded intriguing (though SK's book was written in the 80s so well out of date now), so I'm going to try a few. I've started with Ramsey Campbell's - The Doll Who Ate His Mother from 1976. I've read a lot of books over the years and only 2 I gave up on: one was a Ramsey Campbell novel (can't remember which one) and the other Gorky Park. I do recall the Ramsey Campbell one being dull, but this one I'm reading now seems pretty good after a few chapters.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2022 at 16:20
S-172: Lee Harvey Oswalds Links to Intelligence Agencies by [Glenn B Fleming]

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2022 at 15:53
Legacies
https://www.goodreads.com/series/40868-repairman-jack
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 10:07
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist - by Kerry Daynes
Spaceman: An Astronaut's Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe - by Mike Massimino
Once Upon a Time in Iraq: History of a Modern Tragedy - by James Bluemel and Dr. Renad Mansour

Paul, how do find time to read ANY books, let alone all these simultaneously, when you appear to spend your waking life listening to new (to you) music?!!! Are you really………...Paula?!! 😂😉😂

That's easy. I read books (usually six at a time) while I'm listening to music and Nottinghamshire's libraries are familiar places where everyone knows my name, just like the Cheers bar. Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 09:11
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Paul, how do find time to read ANY books, let alone all these simultaneously, when you appear to spend your waking life listening to new (to you) music?!!! Are you really………...Paula?!! 😂😉😂

I'll be honest mate, I'm amazed there is either a current reading/ TV programmes or Films thread on this site, the amount of music most members seem to be able to get thru... I can only assume they are doing at least two, possibly three of these at once.. Confused 
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 09:08
Anyway - I’m re-reading 11/22/63 by the greatest author of them all, because it is probably my favourite book😎
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 09:07

Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 04:19
  currently reading the biography JACQUES TATI by David Bellos, MIDNIGHT IN WASHINGTON by Adam Schiff & THE TAROT PRIMER by Deborah Carter Mastelotto (the wife of Pat Mastelotto, the drummer of King Crimson & Stick Men).
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 320>