Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 08:59
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ Out of curiosity: Is there a particular/fixed/ultimate "path" in mind to follow for being a chess master? If so, I'll be hugely surprised.

The key to mastery is practicing, practicing, practicing. And studying the openings in detail. I used to know the most important variants of all openings up to the 30th move, in some cases even beyond. I had a huge library of chess books.

There was a time when I thought of becoming a professional chess player and playing against men, like the Polgar sisters. The reason I didn't do it was that I had too many other interests, and when you become a chess professional you only ever have time for chess.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 06:27
I've read some such books indeed...

The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne:

A classic, and I strongly guess that a canonical work of American literature. As I know, one of the books that the students of the "American Culture & Literature" department in Turkey are (at the very least, were) made to read. A masterwork, for sure. Rather easy to read, in general (gets sophisticated at times). Demanded far more knowledge than I've had, to fully grasp its "essence". Tinged by a very humorous intellect, with a serious purpose. Very insightful. Deep characters, and intriguing events. Vivid imagination. Loved it. 9/10

King of the Dead & Lord of the Necropolis, by Gene DeWeese:

15th and the 17th novels of the Ravenloft series, telling the story of Azalin Rex: a lich wizard. I've already had more than enough knowledge about this stuff. D&D, fantasy etc... First time reading King of the Dead in its original language (English). It was hell of a fun ride!!! Both the novels are very good. The use of the language is not THAT great, but decent enough. Also, a masterful style might have ruined the adventurous air of the books. So, no complaints for my part. Some flaws can be proven better. The first novel among the two is not that gripping, but very intriguing. The latter is extremely gripping. Both books are great in their own rights. Sublimely and subtlely tinged by the dark charm of the '90s. 9/10 for both.

P.S. I had already read the 19th Ravenloft book entitled "I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin". But I may consider rereading it soon.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 10:33

^ Out of curiosity: Is there a particular/fixed/ultimate "path" in mind to follow for being a chess master? If so, I'll be hugely surprised.

I just want to add something to my last post on that subject. Practicing alone is not enough. You have to focus entirely on chess; no other interests at all. I once was on the brink of following that path; I trained together with Romuald Mainka and Eckhard Schmittdiel, who today are German grand masters. Although I am a woman I could beat them (and they me as well). But I finally decided I was not willing to follow this path.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 24 2021 at 10:36

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I just want to add something to my last post on that subject. Practicing alone is not enough. You have to focus entirely on chess; no other interests at all. I once was on the brink of following that path; I trained together with Romuald Mainka and Eckhard Schmittdiel, who today are German grand masters. Although I am a woman I could beat them (and they me as well). But I finally decided I was not willing to follow this path.

Please stop that "although I'm a woman" thing, dear. As far as intelligence is concerned, you may even be superior to us: men. Dunno. We both know, why women are not that much "successful" in most fields. I hope your hindrances will be lifted sometime in the future. It is certain in some sports, the muscle and fat ratio thing... Some women can be equal to men in that regard too, but normally you're disadvangateous in physically demanding sports. Other than that, I see you our equal, at worst.

There's something I can tell about my grand mastery in arcade games... While I'm my best after years of playing a certain game, I'm "close to" my best, when I'm very little experienced but too much passionate and eager to play that game. The "in-between" period is the worst for me. It can be a game, where your opponent is the computer intelligence, or a game that you're rivals with real people. I don't know if such a thing can be possible in chess too. I'll not dare to translate it to another type of game, in which I have only a little more than little experience. (My primary school teacher couldn't beat me once, in the 4th grade though. Perhaps I'm talented... Though not that much interested in chess.)

Edited by Shadowyzard - June 24 2021 at 11:27
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 08:13
Finished the Rivers of London series...great supernatural fiction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Grant_(book_series)

Ian Banks Culture series...one of the best literate sci-fi series ever imho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series

Philip k Dick....just about anything but currently reading The Golden Man...short story collection but his novels Ubik, A Maze of Death and Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch are fantastic.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 09:23
"Loving John" - May Pang
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 09:35
Pontius Pilate by Anne Wroe. A 'biography" of a man known to history by only a few lines in the both the Bible and in near contemporary historical documents. Wroe constructs a thought process for the Roman governor based on the political and philosophical thought of ancient Romans and how they would really react to someone claiming to be the King Of The Jews. It's much different than one would expect.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2021 at 09:28
Hi,

I'm thinking about ... The Oyster Redux. It just seems much more fun reading than some of the pointed and meaningless stuff all around! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2021 at 13:50
Hieroglyphic Tales by Horace Walpole - Made me chuckle many times, I even sent audible laughters a couple of times. Like a mocking python in a nuts hell. 8.5/10

Avon Fantasy Reader, No. 8, 1948 - Wow, this was a really a good compilation of stories. Very diverse. Some are astonishing, most of them good and none bad. 8.5/10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2021 at 17:32
If you like noir action/adventure I highly recommend the 'Travis McGee' series by John Mc Donald written from 1964-1984 . Well written hardboiled detective fiction.

Also the Bryant and May series...by Chris Fowler...2 older British detectives who end up getting all the stranger murder cases in greater London.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2021 at 19:17
I'm currently reading the first Jack Reacher novel called Killing Floor. It's long(over 500 pages) but I'm about half way through it. 

I bought it because several years ago I picked up one of the later ones for free(it was in some sort of lost and found but they said I could take it) but I figured I would start at the beginning and read the first book in the series first. I found I out after I buy this one that there are actually prequels. Anyway, I'll probably read this one and then the other one I have and then that's it. I'm not a big fan of the writing even though the story is interesting. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 18 2021 at 19:18
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 10:44
I've been re-reading Kurt Vonnegut lately. I've read all of his novels but that was ages ago so my recollections of them are rather vague. I'm doing this in chronological order and have made through Player Piano (excellent dystopia in the vein of Brave New World (I think Vonnegut said himself that he basically ripped off Huxley's classic)), Sirens of Titan (where he finds his own voice I think), Mother Night and Cat's Cradle. I'm now halfway through God Bless You, Mr Rosewater. I've very much enjoyed what I've read this far. 

Also read Philip K Dick's Time Out Of Joint and Lies Inc. which aren't among his best works I think. Especially the last one was a big mess to me. 

And also István Örkeny's One Minute Stories which was great fun. 

MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:27
Past few months:

Mary Shelley - Frankenstein
Hermann Hesse - Demian
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Richard Matheson - I Am Legend
Philip K. Dick - The Transmigration of Timothy Archer
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 09:10
Recently read.....
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke......wonderful fantasy novel set in modern times.
Far From The Light Of Heaven by Tade Thompson....very unique sci-fi novel
Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwab....fantasy and magic set in an alternate reality where there are 4 different Londons
Battle Ground Jim Butcher....a Dresden Files novel about a modern magician in Chicago who battles all manner of supernatural creatures
Magician:Apprentice by R Feist....book one of the best selling Riftwar saga similar to LOTR.
Haquin
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 09:24
Loved Piranesi.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 09:44
Currently reading...

A State of Fear: How the UK Government Weaponized Fear During the Covid-19 Scare, by Laura Dodsworth
Two Riders Were Approaching: The Life & Death of Jimi Hendrix, by Mick Wall
It's All News to Me, by Jeremy Vine
Joys of War: From the Foreign Legion, the SAS and into Hell with PTSD, by John Paul Jordan
A Year at the Circus: Inside Trump's White House, by Jon Sopel
Predator: The True Story of Levi Bellfield, The Man Who Murdered Millie Dowler, by John McShane
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 11:33
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Loved Piranesi.

Then I'll wager you also loved Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell......? Did you see the tv adaptation....?
Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - January 31 2022 at 11:33
Haquin
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2022 at 14:47
The Sorcerer's Tale: Faith and Fraud in Tudor England, by Alec Ryrie - 9/10

This was a very fast read, if not lightning fast. The use of the language (English) is excellent. A fiction, but the writer undergirds it with abundant and multifaceted details from the 16th-century England. Here are some quotes I picked that might be of interest:

"Ultimately, of course, we cannot know where the boundary or boundaries between truth and fiction lie in these stories, nor does it particularly matter."

"Magic in the sixteenth century was a world of contradictions: theoretical as against practical magic, learned against popular, honest against fraudulent. Those contradictions mean that it was and remains a slippery subject, hard to pin down."

"The more intelligent and sophisticated writers knew that it was easier to ridicule magic than to argue it away. In particular, ‘natural magic’ (that slippery category) and astrology had powerful scientific arguments in their favour. But a well-read, open-minded scholar in the sixteenth century would have found it difficult to dismiss almost any form of magic entirely."

"Indeed, one stance on magic—taken by both Protestants and Catholics—was to acknowledge its reality at the same time as condemning it. This was in some ways a much more honourable position than rationalist mockery. It is easy to forbid magic if you think it does not work."

"This was a grimly austere viewpoint (not to say homicidal). To admit the power and even the necessity of magic, but to refuse to use it: it is admirable in its own way, but it must have seemed quixotic at the time."

Edited by Archisorcerus - February 25 2022 at 16:12
gCairns View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gCairns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2022 at 10:11
I'm reading Logistics and Supply Chain Management (Financial Times Series) by Martin Christopher. I'm preparing a project linked with chain management. So this book was recommended on https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/supply-chain-management/, where I got some info on this theme. If someone wants to understand what is chain management, this book is for you. My recommendation!

Edited by gCairns - March 21 2022 at 18:59
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 02:28
I'm currently reading Peter Bergen's book, "MANHUNT - From 9/11 to Abbottabad: The Ten Year Search for Osama bin Laden". In the book it states that Guantanamo Bay detainees were "given a sharp blast of some especially annoying music by Christina Aguilera" to get them to talk. That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me. LOL 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 320>