Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 193194195196197 320>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

^wow, those were harsh critics! However, I won't say anything cause I haven't read them.

I'm still with Blake. 

Anybody wishes to recommend some poetry that they liked?

Rimbaud, RIGHT NOW.

Yesterday I grabbed a Rimbaud collection in the bookstore, rather expensive, but I think I have stuff from him in my house.

I want to check out Garcia Lorca. 

The Drunken Boat is heavenly.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 14:01

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2011 at 17:16

I just finished a couple of excellent graphic novels:

And these,which are violent,extremely,quirky,well written and brilliantly illustrated...

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:16

Began yesterday:

FINISHED!

Now:

FINISHED YESTERDAY
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:01
Currently reading: Alexander Solzhenitsyn, The First Circle
Next: Nikolai Gogol, Taras Bulba & Other Tales
Then: Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
Later: Ivan Turgenev, Fathers and Sons

I like Russian literature, what can I say?

Edited by Any Colour You Like - October 17 2011 at 14:09
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:36
^ Have you read Daniil Kharms, q.m.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:48
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

^ Have you read Daniil Kharms, q.m.

no k
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 16:50
Starting Watership Down.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 17:28
Saul Bellow - Ravelstein: splendid portrait of a philosopher as the exccentric, intelligent, controlling, funny, excessive person. Heartwarming, and excellent (8/10).

Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange: great book, and interesting to read with the film in mind. My rating is excellent (8/10).

Heinrich Böll - Billiards At Half Past Nine: IMO there was too little in the subject to make for a powerful post-war(s) drama. The style I wasn't too keen on, either. It stands though as a solid reflection on the history of Germany in the first half of the 20th century, and it has some innovative (I think) merits. My rating is good (6/10).
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 17:52
started into Berta Geissmar's book Two Worlds-interesting observations about musical life in pre Hitler Germany (her family knew Brahms family)
         She also was Dr. Wilhelm Furtwangler's secretary and friend, and gives fascinating details about his personality and reasons for his appeal as musician and conductor, and also why he did what he did regarding the Hitler regime

Edited by presdoug - October 16 2011 at 20:26
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 19:36
So I bought the First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (all 6 books) in a charity shop for £4.50.  Even if I hate the series I won't be too sad as that's a good price for 6 books even though they're second-hand!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 20:03
Has anyone read anything by Rabelais?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 20:21
Adam, Rob and Vompatti might have.  I certainly haven't.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 20:24
Ah, btw, I'm doing a work on 'We', well actually about dystopias, that has to be connected with the "failed promises of the age of Reason" in the 20th century.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 20:28
Oh cool.  I wish I had interesting essays to write!  Let me know what mark you get. Big smile
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 06:35

I read Gargantua and Pantagruel here: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/r#a551

I didn't enjoy it enough to recommend purchasing it right off the bat. It is interesting as an insight into very early satirical (pretty entertaining) works and its important regarding the development of the 'novel' , but from a similar period I much preferred Cervantes, which from memory you've already be initiated. I'd say give it a go for free, and if it ain't gelling, say f**k it, and move on. 

Currently I'm onto the third volume of In Search of Lost Time by Proust. sh*t, I've tried my best to hate this sentimental b*****d from the bottom of my heart,  but it just ain't working, I keep flipping pages and forking out my $12.94 for the next volume of over written, flowery, reminisces of a sickly sissy (it is after all, in part, autobiographical written in a fictitious guise... maybe not) who, in his current, sickened state fawns of everything I hate about society, but on the flip-side I find so god damn interesting. Wow, that was a terrible collection of thoughts about a work that deserves more.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 07:07
Somehow I knew Adam had read some. Big smile

Have you read any Goethe, Adam?
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:58
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Somehow I knew Adam had read some. Big smile

Your telepathic powers have also lured me out of lurking. Wink  BTW, are you free early August next year?

Originally posted by James James wrote:

Have you read any Goethe, Adam?

I've threatened to over years, but alas they've been empty threats. I nearly brought Faust from my local second-hand vendor last year but realized the more urgent matter was buying dinner.

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange: great book, and interesting to read with the film in mind. My rating is excellent (8/10).

This was one instance where I felt the movie was better than the book, but this by no means is a slight to the novel. Have you read any other Burgess? I've been wanting to commit to something like Earthly Power's, but have always been turned off the dichotomous nature of reactions, people either love it, or are overcome with boredom. Generally speaking I've a suspicion I revel in boring things.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 17:19
 I also like reading about Polar Exploration, and recently bought Pierre Berton's "The Arctic Grail" about the search for the Northwest Passage, and also some books by Farley Mowat about the search for the North Pole and the Northwest Passage
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

I read Gargantua and Pantagruel here: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/r#a551

I didn't enjoy it enough to recommend purchasing it right off the bat. It is interesting as an insight into very early satirical (pretty entertaining) works and its important regarding the development of the 'novel' , but from a similar period I much preferred Cervantes, which from memory you've already be initiated. I'd say give it a go for free, and if it ain't gelling, say f**k it, and move on. 

Indeed, you remember well concerning Cervantes. Alike someone from here, I'm not really up for reading online, but I'll take what you said, will only buy it if I see it cheap. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 193194195196197 320>