Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 220221222223224 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:03
Just read the biography on Ronnie Biggs His own words,one of the guys from the greatest train robbery in England in 1963.Quite the life.Always on the run.
Shake & bake.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:13

Curutchet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curutchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 18:05
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Alitare, if you see this by any chance: Did it hurt not having read "Blindness" ? It was referenced a lot, I looked up what it was about but not sure if actually having read it would have shed more detail.

It doesn't hurt. Seeing picks up the events and characters from Blindness giving enough info. Blindness is still a book of its own and a hell of a book. You may want to not grab it right away, though, if Seeing got heavy enough for you in certain moments. That didn't happen to me, though. I read it in a few days, sometimes not clutching to it for hours. I was luckily in vacation, up in the mountains. Sure picked a book not to be able to relax with.

Honestly, only at the very end.
It was actually a difficult read for me, first getting used to the style but second just holding my interest. I wasn't really captivated till near the end and the VERY end is when I was pretty shocked (though it wasn't even surprising, now that's some writing)! I mainly plowed forward to finish it and also find out what exactly happened...so it was pretty great when you never actually know who was the mastermind/what happened.

Someone else mentioned Blindness as being superior and an amazing read. Will pick it up today probably!

I absolutely loved the movie Blindness and wanted to read some works by Saramago, but not Blindness the book because I don't like reading books after I've watched the movie. So I read Seeing and Death With Interruptions instead. Have to say, I was really bored and had trouble finishing the books. I kept waiting for something to happen. Also, I love when authors put philosophical ideas into their work, but Samarago is too much of an "in-your-face" idealist.
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 08:29
^Read the book. You will not regret.

Another great books by Saramago are A Viagem do Elefante and O Conto da Ilha Desconhecida. I don't know if these books were released in english.

Edited by tupan - February 29 2012 at 08:30
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 10:33
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Today I started:

FINISHED!

Incredible, my favorite Hesse book. (I've read 3 so far) I think I read it at the perfect time, younger wouldn't have done much effect.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 10:35
Someone just gave that book to me to read. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 10:42
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Your first Hesse book?
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 21:57
Starting this:

It's already starting to challenge me. LOL
PolarWolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 02:16

Today I started:

FINISHED!

Incredible, my favorite Hesse book. (I've read 3 so far) I think I read it at the perfect time, younger wouldn't have done much effect.

I just finished Hesse's Rosshalde, which was very good. And now it awakened an urge in me to read more Hesse.
I've also read Steppenwolf (my favourite so far), Siddhartha and The Glass Bead Game a long time ago. Maybe I'll try to find Damien to read next, or re-read one of those.
Still... so many classics in my to-read list... 

Which Hesse's books have you read in addition to Damien?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 07:55

Your first Hesse book?

No. I read Siddhartha and Narcissus & Goldmund. I didn't enjoy either of them.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 11:08
Originally posted by PolarWolf PolarWolf wrote:

Today I started:

FINISHED!

I just finished Hesse's Rosshalde, which was very good. And now it awakened an urge in me to read more Hesse.
I've also read Steppenwolf (my favourite so far), Siddhartha and The Glass Bead Game a long time ago. Maybe I'll try to find Damien to read next, or re-read one of those.
Still... so many classics in my to-read list... 

Which Hesse's books have you read in addition to Damien?

Siddartha and Narcissus & Goldmund. The latter was pretty enjoyable, while the former I read out of pure curiosity.

I might read Steppenwolf now.

You should definitely read Demian, I think, although I'm not sure how old you are. (like I said, if I had read it prior to being 17, almost 18, it wouldn't have been too good, for me anyway)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 11:09

Your first Hesse book?

No. I read Siddhartha and Narcissus & Goldmund. I didn't enjoy either of them.

Ha, well, you're in the same line as me. I also read those two prior to Demian, and I wished I had read Demian first. Still, you might not like it at all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 11:52
I'll probably still read it. School forced me to read the previous two of his works. That generally leads to a negative experience so I don't place as much stock in my opinion. 
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 05:19
Gonna start this duesy today. Anyone here tackled it yet?

Bigger on the inside.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 05:31

I'll probably still read it. School forced me to read the previous two of his works. That generally leads to a negative experience so I don't place as much stock in my opinion. 

Ain't that a self fulfilling prophecy?Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:28
It's a reflection on past events so I'm not sure it would qualify as prophecy. 
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abstrakt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 13:07

Pretty proud of getting through this brick! Murakami is a genius, really. I've liked or loved most of what i've read by him so far.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 13:10
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Pretty proud of getting through this brick! Murakami is a genius, really. I've liked or loved most of what i've read by him so far.

Top 3 Murakami (so far, I still have a whole lot to read).
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abstrakt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 13:20

Of the novels i've read:
  1. Wind-up Bird Cronicle
  2. Kafka on the Shore
  3. Sputnik Sweetheart

I didn't really love the bird cronicle at first, thinking it was a bit too long, drawn-out and demanding (not language-wise. reading it just flows like running water, but the plot is pretty hard to get at times) , but man has it grown on me! Approve

If you havn't already, definitely read "Kafka on the Shore"! It's totally murakami, but not as drawn-out as the bird cronicle, and with a more interesting storyline.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 14:07

Of the novels i've read:
  1. Wind-up Bird Cronicle
  2. Kafka on the Shore
  3. Sputnik Sweetheart

I didn't really love the bird cronicle at first, thinking it was a bit too long, drawn-out and demanding (not language-wise. reading it just flows like running water, but the plot is pretty hard to get at times) , but man has it grown on me! Approve

If you havn't already, definitely read "Kafka on the Shore"! It's totally murakami, but not as drawn-out as the bird cronicle, and with a more interesting storyline.

I read it. Wink I like Wind-up more than Kafka, actually.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 220221222223224 320>