Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 09:18
Ermm do you need to listen to The Sentinel again Jim?
What?
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 10:06
I've read a few issues of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. They were fun but not 'cathartic' I'd say. I'm looking for graphic novels that will, I dunno, make me want to think, feel, and have nervous breakdowns. I'm looking for richly detailed, terribly human, sincerely metaphoric and deep works. I'm looking for comics that will change the way I see them. 

I'm looking for cheap copies of the Sandman novels, but nothing good so far. I hate how expensive this stuff is. My copy of 1984 cost me 3 dollars. My copy of Watchmen cost me 20. How in the hell does that make sense?
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 10:27
^ Color print is expensive nowadays? I don't know, that is kind of messed up.

Winter's Tale is shaping itself very well even though I've spent more time writing than reading it, alternate reality of New York City, characters are very well developed. You might like it, Dustin.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 11:12
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm do you need to listen to The Sentinel again Jim?

Let me think

No

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 14:18
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

I'm in the middle of reading 'Maus', the graphic novel - I love it so far.

Anybody know any graphic novels that are, well, nowhere near like a normal comic?

I hate superheroes, but I really enjoyed Watchmen, V for Vendetta, most of the Sin City stories, and this Maus one. I'd prefer them to be rich in metaphor and humanity. I've heard good things about Gaiman's Sandman series, but I can't afford that stuff. I may get PDFs or something, though.

Ok, do you want some great Graphic Novels? "Rich in metaphor and humanity"? So check this ones:

Every work from Joe Sacco. This guys is a jornalist that make Graphic Novels. All of them are excellent. Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Sacco

Please, read the manga Barefoot Gen. A history about people who survived the nuclear bombing over Hiroshima. It's touching! Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_Gen

Read ALL, I said ALL Graphic Novels of the supreme master WILL EISNER! The most human of the comic book creators! Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Eisner#Graphic_novels
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 20:02
Are any of you guys on Goodreads.com? 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 22:58
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Making an account now.

Reading the Mark Z. Danielewski short story All the Lights of Midnight tonight I think.

Edited by The Truth - June 13 2012 at 23:20
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 05:25

Bigger on the inside.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 06:17
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Dostoevsky, although I haven't read that one yet.

It's long and boring but really, really good.

Am I the only one seeing a contradiction here ?

Who was the greatest French Poet of the nineteenth century? André Gide’s immortal comment—"Victor Hugo, alas!" - fits the bill innit?Confused
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 06:31
Jean and I share an account there using our shared e-mail address [email protected].

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 06:36
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Dostoevsky, although I haven't read that one yet.

It's long and boring but really, really good.

Am I the only one seeing a contradiction here ?

Who was the greatest French Poet of the nineteenth century? André Gide’s immortal comment—"Victor Hugo, alas!" - fits the bill innit?Confused

I disagree about that statement. The greatest French poet of the 19th century was Isidore Lucien Ducasse, better known under his nom de plume Lautréamont.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 06:36

Yes I am. haven't looked in for a while though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 06:42
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I disagree about that statement. The greatest French poet of the 19th century was Isidore Lucien Ducasse, better known under his nom de plume Lautréamont.

Yep fine, but the whole point of the Gide quote is that 'lazy conventional wisdom' is invariably flawed, an affliction you are clearly immune toWink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 06:50
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Yep fine, but the whole point of the Gide quote is that 'lazy conventional wisdom' is invariably flawed, an affliction you are clearly immune toWink

No, you got it wrong. It has nothing to do with conventional wisdom at all, but everything with personal preference. For somebody else the greatest French poet might be someone entirely different.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 07:04
Including the personal preference and autonomy afforded to be completely different to the one in blue/pink (delete as applicable) You are clearly not obtuse so why can't you accede that conventional or received wisdom makes no concession to subjectivity i.e. I'm talking about conformity and you know that
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 07:26
Anyone added as a friend by a pimping Euler, that would be me. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 07:27

Making an account now.

Reading the Mark Z. Danielewski short story All the Lights of Midnight tonight I think.

Ughhghghhghgh. Mark Danielewski. Soo goooooooodd. You read Only Revolutions?
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Snob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 07:30

Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

I just finished reading Game of Thrones. I plan on starting A Clash of Kings as soon as I finish studying for my CCNA.  
I found it so hard to put down Game of Thrones that I actually put a pdf of the book on my cell phone so I could read it any chance I had. 

Powering my way through the series of books at the moment - if you think GoT was good, you'll love Clash Of Kings (I nearly appreviated the 2nd book title as well, but that read wrong )

LOL

Looking forward to digging into it.  Any favorite characters from the series? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 07:32
I usually can't stomach any fantasy besides Tolkien. I'm thinking about checking out GoT when I find a used copy at one of the stores I frequent. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 07:45
I certainly know what you mean. In Germany it is all about Goethe and, to a lesser extent, Schiller and in more modern times Thomas Mann,, but I put my money on Georg Büchner, who sadly died too young (at age 23) and Heinrich Heine. and in more modern times on Thomas Mann's brother Heinrich.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 320>