Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 237238239240241 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:50
Thanks, that's enough for me to get the next two books as soon as Walmart has the paperbacks.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:25
Let us know what good Dr. Robert thinks when he reads them. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 17:41

Very good. It's much harder sci-fi than I imaged it would be. I love my edition because the illustrator clearly never read a summary of the novel.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 17:47
^I adore Jules Verne. His optimistic sci-fi is the antithesis of that gloomy gus H.G. Wells.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 18:02
Interestingly enough, Verne actually had a very dark view of human nature and the ultimate outcome of humanity. You can see this in his late works. He's far gloomier than Wells. However, Pierre-Jules Hetzel, who served as Verne's editor, demanded that Verne be optimistic.  After taking such a roundabout and dreadful road to become an author, Verne pretty much did whatever Hetzel told him to do.

I will say that I find Verne to be a better writer than Wells. I'm more of a hard science fiction guy though so undoubtedly his style influences me somewhat in saying that.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 20:39
Marzi - Marzena Sowa and Sylvain Savoia (4/5)
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 20:49
Re-reading a book for the first time? Yeah, somewhat:

It's not that I ran out of books, I just felt the need to re-read this awesome collection of short stories.

Edited by The Quiet One - July 01 2012 at 20:50
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 21:56
But I enjoy gloom.

I just finished "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac.
Good read, I liked the quick moving and free flowing nature, which I reckon is like being...on the road.

A classic, (or at least in my circles) that I never read so glad I finally got on that.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 22:53
Canterbury Tales

and many lols were had
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 01:41

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 02:39
Just finished "Assault in Norway", story of the sabotage of the Vermork heavy water plant which was a key element to the Nazi's atomic bomb aspirations.

Have managed 43 years without ever reading Dickens. Thus I am reading "Great Expectations". This far I have found him to be a master of the run-on sentence. Still entertaining.

Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 03:03
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

It's not that I ran out of books, I just felt the need to re-read this awesome collection of short stories.

I found a complete short stories comp for JG Ballard, truly amazing and inventive stuff.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:55
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

I found a complete short stories comp for JG Ballard, truly amazing and inventive stuff.

Yep, he's truly inventive. I'm no sci-fan, but Ballard just does for it me: the topics he chooses, the way he tells them, all splendid.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 12:00
I've never heard of this cat. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 12:34
But you have heard of the films Crash and Empire Of The Sun I assume...
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 13:00
I have heard of the former film and the latter book. I did not know whence they came. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 13:17

GAME CHANGE .  In depth insight on how hypocritical political parties are in the US and what miserable , invictive -laden potty mouths most politicians are . Party

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 13:22
^ Also known as the least illuminating book ever written. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 15:28
Confirmation is always good Violin
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 15:30
I'm reading a Helprin novel too. It's storyline and manner of writing are both good although its political messages often seem misguided.

Nevermind, that's Mark Halperin you're reading, not Helprin. Very interesting they are both controversial politically and have almost identical names.

Edited by The Truth - July 02 2012 at 15:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 237238239240241 320>