Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:05
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Just ordered: 

Blood Meridian and All the Pretty Horses because apparently McCarthy is like the greatest writer of his time. I've not even read The Road yet! 

Also ordered Infinite Jest. 

Preparing mind for scramble mode

You can play this game with McCarthy where you open any book to a random page, read a sentence, and it will be the best prose you've ever read. I think only Vladimir Nabokov can compare in this regard. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 11:07
I've been making my way through this one:

This is one of the biggest head trips I've read in a while, not in the least because of the ongoing disputes on it's meant as a defence of Social Darwinism or a satire of it. The author using an obvious pseudonym does not help.

I have no idea either. The prose shows a certain sense of skill and wit, but the actual content has an astounding tendency to make an insightful point of common sense only to follow it up with something completely idiotic... and as I said, I'm not sure when "Ragnar Redbeard" is being serious and when he isn't.

More than anything else it reads like a desperate attempt at imitating Friedrich Nietzsche both in thought and writing style, that by accident ends up somewhere totally different.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - December 31 2013 at 11:12
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 17:43

Recommended for fans of The Watchmen.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 03:51
Last night I've finished reading this:

Even better than the short stories anthologized in The Name Is Archer. Plays lot like how I imagine Chandler's post-WW2 stories to, in that it turns loose that kind of romantic cynicism on the modernistic optimism of late-1940s/early-1950s California, except Macdonald's plot construction skills is at least on Hammett's level and he might be even better at characterization than either. The prose is also superb, he writes like Edward Hopper paints.

Which reminds me that I'm also reading...

Got this as a Christmas present: Biography of one of my favourite painters, the Russian Symbolist Nikolas Roerich about whom books are near-impossible to find here in the West so I'm very appreciative of it.

One of those books of political philosophy that are extremely influential but very few have read, I guess it doesn't help that it's been one of the most banned nonfiction books ever. Max Stirner's one of the grandfathers of both atheist existentialism and anarchist political ideology, but he hasn't become anywhere as well-known as the others probably because he doesn't fit anywhere as easily into neat "-isms" as them.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 10:16
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 02:58

Another book from the 1970s about UFOs, but nowhere as "this is your brain on Hawkwind!" as the cover art suggests. It's actually very reasonable in how it examines the evidence for various theories, and spends less time on the extraterrestrial hypothesis than on which poorly understood or hitherto unknown natural phenomena might lie behind some UFO sightings.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 12:22
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Another book from the 1970s about UFOs, but nowhere as "this is your brain on Hawkwind!" as the cover art suggests. It's actually very reasonable in how it examines the evidence for various theories, and spends less time on the extraterrestrial hypothesis than on which poorly understood or hitherto unknown natural phenomena might lie behind some UFO sightings.
Think I read that one a long time ago................did you ever read this:

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 19:27
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Just ordered: 

Blood Meridian and All the Pretty Horses because apparently McCarthy is like the greatest writer of his time. I've not even read The Road yet! 

Also ordered Infinite Jest. 

Preparing mind for scramble mode

You can play this game with McCarthy where you open any book to a random page, read a sentence, and it will be the best prose you've ever read. I think only Vladimir Nabokov can compare in this regard. 

I will be sure to give that a try before I tackle him!

I have started Infinite Jest, and I've been interrupted by power outage and football games but so far so good. Hesitant to say much when not even 9% into this beast yet, but I like what's been going on. 

It's actually been exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something challenging but not tooo much so. I attempted Danielewski and got hit outside the head. After a refresh attempted Pynchon but decided that was also a bit much at the moment, but thus far Infinite Jest has been a nice blend of all. It's challenging but still normally written (thus far) is building emotional connection but isn't a traditionally done novel in that regard. 

I'll work up to those other works later. 

Edited by JJLehto - January 12 2014 at 19:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 11:41

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 14:00
Finished On The Road by Jack Kerouac yesterday, now I'm moving on to A Farewell To Arms
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 05:11

I guess this is ground zero for the type of crime fiction where every single major character is basically a textbook sociopath. Along with the writing being extremely bare-bones, that makes it a very uncomfortable read but also interesting in its exploration of how that type of person can function in respectable society to begin with.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - January 14 2014 at 05:15
mononokifool View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mononokifool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 05:24
I am getting ready to re-read through the Shannara series by Terry Goodkind. I read through the books available throughout highschool but it seems he never stopped writing books for that series. To be honest I really have not been able to get into any series after I finished the Wheel of TIme series last year so I am hoping that this will kick start my reading again.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 09:21
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Finished On The Road by Jack Kerouac yesterday

I did greatly enjoy that one
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:39

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:45
Currently reading: 

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 12:50

Just started this, into the first two chapters already and all I can say is WOW. Such amazing writing!
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 10:34
^ I have read a lot of her poetry but never The Bell Jar. How does it compare?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 10:53
Yes, actually....

Patti Smith's "Just Kids" reads more like a Sun Magazine long form than a rock and roll book.  This is not about the rock icon's career, but rather about two young people falling in love in the gritty late 1960s New York of Andy Warhol's circle.  The boy would be artist Robert Maplethorpe..

Patti met him completely by accident when the two were unknowns and basically homeless, crashing with friends.  Their love affair was so sweet and later turned into a great friendship that survived decades, long after they parted ways romantically. 

The book is so well written and well intentioned, placing their feelings and intimacies so honestly that there is zero sensationalism to the telling.  Probably my favorite read of the year because it reminded me of what first loves feel like, and that is a wonderful time in life.   :-)

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 11:11
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

^ I have read a lot of her poetry but never The Bell Jar. How does it compare?

I do love her poetry, and it is the main body of her work (The Bell Jar is her only novel), but this book is still masterful. I'd recommend it for sure!
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 13:16

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Finished On The Road by Jack Kerouac yesterday

I did greatly enjoy that one

Me too.

Now I'm done A Farewell To Arms so I'm going to start Suttree by Cormac McCarthy soon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 320>