Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 312313314315316 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 12:31
I am currently reading "The House by the Churchyard" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. A hilarious satirical horror novel with lots of repugnant characters (which he however describes as if they were very honorable). Le Fanu also wrote the horror classics "Uncle Silas" and "Carmilla", the latter being the first ever lesbian vampire novel.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 15:50
^ I have Uncle Silas and some short stories by Le Fanu......good stuff.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 15:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

those were the days

Related image

It's 1974 in a photograph !

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 15:58
Killing time at work with Wayne Gretzky autobiography.
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 17:04
I recently finished reading Dear Reader by Michael Malice.

If you want to understand the history of north Korea then this is an excellent book to read. Extremely well researched and presented in an entertaining fashion to boot.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 17:25
The Run to the Outhouse by Will E. Makit is pretty good
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 18:50
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I am currently reading "The House by the Churchyard" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. A hilarious satirical horror novel with lots of repugnant characters (which he however describes as if they were very honorable). Le Fanu also wrote the horror classics "Uncle Silas" and "Carmilla", the latter being the first ever lesbian vampire novel.

Yeah, those Le Fanu's are classics.  Got to break out Carmilla again.  

I recently read "Antic Hay" and "Point Counterpoint" by Aldous Huxley    A pair of comedic novels, showcases self absorbed, cultural elite interlocked in bohemian, intellectual artistic, obsessive pursuits.   I laughed out-loud several times. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - June 07 2019 at 19:02
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 19:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

those were the days

Related image

It's 1974 in a photograph !

You are right on the money. Written by a guy born in 66, about him and his brothers in the 70s.  What a time to be a kid. 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 19:55
the Brady Bunch pretty much got it right

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog Loving Deadhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Loving Deadhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2019 at 13:43
That looks great!  I remember those days.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 21:02
Image result for white mountain christopher

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 13:49

Image result for white mountain christopher

Loved this when I was a teen.  Read all of the trilogy, White Mountains, City of Gold & Lead, The Pool of Fire.  Thought about them again about 10 years ago when I found one at a flea market and that led me to order the other two.  I think I read them again since then LOL.  Good read for young and old.  Noticed there is a "Prequel" to the series called "When the Tripods Came", did not know this was out there (by John Christopher), may have to check that out.

Also Jim, did not see your Sting Ray bike book before...loved mine growing up, great memories.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 19:53
Hey Jim. Wow, I didn't know there was a prequel. I may have to hunt that down too. I've been a fan since my 5th grade teacher read those books to us in class. Do they still let teachers read Sci-Fi to 5th graders? LOL

As for Stingray afternoons, it's a book about growing up in the early 70s midwest. If you were born in the 60s, you'd probably love it too.  I couldn't put it down. 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 11:57
^ Just ordered the prequel.  I did not know about it either until your post and I had to google the trilogy since I could not remember the name of one of the books.  That is when I found out. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 12:26
Speaking of your avatar, I just ordered Mad's "best of the 70s" book. That should be a hoot.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 13:58
^ ClapThat should be a blast.  I picked this up a few years ago at a bargain outlet store, hardcover no less.  Good stuff!  Even has a centerfold of Alfred himself, fully clothed...

Image result for inside mad magazine

Edited by AEProgman - July 05 2019 at 13:59
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 14:27
my favorite section of MAD-magazine was "Spy vs. Spy". I especially loved the sporadic episodes with the female spy (who always won against the other two). I remember that as a kid I wanted to become like her when grown up. other kids pinned photos of their favorite stars to the walls of their room, I pinned the "Spy vs. Spy" episodes with the female spy to the walls of of my room

Edited by BaldJean - July 05 2019 at 14:42

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 14:48
^
Yeah, I think that was my fave too...Spy.

And I have this memory of this feature about smoking, with all these unique and weird smoking inventions that were shown on the faces of people.  It has been AGES since I've looked at MAD, probably not since the early 80s. I'm looking forward to enjoying some of the more adult stuff that could have went over my head when I was a pre-teen.

I'm sure you both saw in the news that MAD just announced they are suspending newsstand distribution soon.  End of an era. While mail subscriptions will continue, it is apparent that the magazine is on life support now. 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 14:57
^ Yes, sad news.  They changed style, writers, or management a few years ago and it just wasn't the same, but still quite a long run for a magazine.

Spy vs Spy is the first thing I read (well, look at) when I flip the through it for the first time.  Still, I think my favorite is the stuff Don Martin would do in the magazine.  Also, the movie spoofs they did...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 15:01
the Don Martin stuff was good too, sometimes absolutely whacko even. but my fave was "Spy vs. Spy"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 312313314315316 320>