Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 23:16
Zarqus: I too have been reading lots of H.P. Lovecraft! I've been binging on him hor the past few days, in the Mountains of Madness is my favorite! I think he's a mile ahead of Poe.
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghandi 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 00:43
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Xanadu:

How is Foundation?
I read all of the Robot and Foundation novels during one summer and reading a lot of his short stories recently, (The Empire series is in between those two on the timeline, but I skipped them) and I have come to the conclusion that Asimov is the greatest Sci-Fi writer ever. Not only is the volume of his body of work verging on insanity, but it's almost all good! Sure, some of his later novels sucked some, but they are still better than the **** Heinlein put out (and I like early Heinlein). I don't care what people say; Stanger in a Strange Land SUCKS! It is one of the very few books that I have never finished. The worst part was the the first 150 pages were actually pretty good, but then it really, really went downhill and I couldn't stand it anymore. Starship Troopers isn't that good either; oh boy, a bunch of philosophical nonsense from this guy's old philophy teacher. Now that's gripping military sci-fi!

Poe's problem is that he sucks unless he's writing dark stuff, although is dark stuff is good. I read about half of his short stories (it was a complete book of his short stories) and then I gave up because too many of them were bloody pointless. For example, his story The Balloon Hoax: he spends 30 pages describing how this guy was in debt and escaped the Earth to go the Moon, killing his creditors in the process. It is full of very bad science, and he finds aliens and some stuff happens and I think he stays on the Moon. Then the book ends saying that this was probably a hoax since the person mentioned in the letter (the story was a letter that had been dropped from a balloon) was seen at a bar in the next town 3 days ago.
SO WHY THE HELL DID I JUST READ THIS 45 PAGE STORY!?!?

Although his detective stories were important because they were the first ones, I don't like them very much because Arthur Conan Doyle did such a better job with Sherlock Holmes. I highly recommend all of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Edited by Ghandi 2 - June 13 2006 at 00:49
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zargus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 07:38
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Zarqus: I too have been reading lots of H.P. Lovecraft! I've been binging on him hor the past few days, in the Mountains of Madness is my favorite! I think he's a mile ahead of Poe.

Yes i also must say i like Lovecraft much beter then Poe, alltough this is my first ever book i read by him i like it very much. I bought 2 books by him at the same time and the mountains of madness is in the other book im gona read it right away after finishing this one. Smile
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 10:05
I also happen to be reading Lovecraft: The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 14:07
^ Finished that one and started Dostoevsky's first novel, Poor Folk.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Xanadu:

How is Foundation?
Poe's problem is that he sucks unless he's writing dark stuff, although is dark stuff is good. I read about half of his short stories (it was a complete book of his short stories) and then I gave up because too many of them were bloody pointless. For example, his story The Balloon Hoax: he spends 30 pages describing how this guy was in debt and escaped the Earth to go the Moon, killing his creditors in the process. It is full of very bad science, and he finds aliens and some stuff happens and I think he stays on the Moon. Then the book ends saying that this was probably a hoax since the person mentioned in the letter (the story was a letter that had been dropped from a balloon) was seen at a bar in the next town 3 days ago.
SO WHY THE HELL DID I JUST READ THIS 45 PAGE STORY!?!?

Take a look at the title of the story again. Poe didn't name it "The Great Balloon Hoax" for nothing.Wink

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Xanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 06:59
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Yes i also must say i like Lovecraft much beter then Poe, alltough this is my first ever book i read by him i like it very much. I bought 2 books by him at the same time and the mountains of madness is in the other book im gona read it right away after finishing this one. Smile

Great Great horror author who have been very overlooked over the years. Call of Cthulhu and The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath are among my favorite short stories
"Oh, yes, sitting-the great leveler. From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?"
crimson thing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimson thing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 07:40
Originally posted by Xanadu Xanadu wrote:

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Great Great horror author who have been very overlooked over the years. Call of Cthulhu and The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath are among my favorite short stories
Please forgive me butting in on your conversation (I have been lurking here for ages Embarrassed ), but I just wondered out of idle curiosity whether there was any connection between the book/story you just mentioned, "Call of Cthulhu" and the Caravan track "C'thlu Thlu". (The coincidence would be too weird; I'm assuming the answer is "yes", but it would be nice to have it confirmed.) The track I know & like; Lovecraft's book/story I don't know.....

Thanks Smile
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 09:52
Lovecraft was influenced by Poe a lot ("At the Mountains of Madness" is a kind of a sequel to Poe's "Arthur Gordon Pym").

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 15:18
Out of fresh reading material so I am re-reading the Ender series by Orson Scott Card.

Reading Ender's Game right now.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 15:19
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Lovecraft was influenced by Poe a lot ("At the Mountains of Madness" is a kind of a sequel to Poe's "Arthur Gordon Pym").

I like HPL but he doesn't hold a candle to Poe.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 15:37
Currently reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography of Lincoln entitiled "Team of Rivals".

Don't laugh, but "War & Peace" is probably next (a new translation is out that is supposed to be very good so I bought it).

In general I enjoy history books and biographies, but I've also started on a Russian lit. phase...
Falling Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falling Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 15:41
I'm re-reading Sacajawea Smile It's my favorite book, true story about an indian woman, from her birth till her dead. I love it LOL

Tool makes the butterflies in my tumybox go woooooooosh
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 18:00
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Currently reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography of Lincoln entitiled "Team of Rivals".

Don't laugh, but "War & Peace" is probably next (a new translation is out that is supposed to be very good so I bought it).

In general I enjoy history books and biographies, but I've also started on a Russian lit. phase...

You better start reading: The Master and Margreta by Mikhail Bulgakov.  It's on my list of books to read.  I also plan to read some Gogol eventually.
Xanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 19:59
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

You better start reading: The Master and Margreta by Mikhail Bulgakov.  It's on my list of books to read.  I also plan to read some Gogol eventually.

"The Overcoat" is a classic aswell as a good read. Hope to get hold of "Dead Souls" soon...
"Oh, yes, sitting-the great leveler. From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?"
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NetsNJFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 13:42
Just Read "Six Days of War" by Michael Oren.  Incredibly detailed look at the '67 Arab Israeli war.

Great quote from a general from the United Arab Command:  "A war is comign and we'll be sorting out the results 50 years from now" --- how true!
Marwin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 13:57
Now I´m reading Mikael Hakim by a finnish author Mika Waltari. In english I think the book is called The Wanderer and is the sequel to The Adventurer. It tells the tale about a finnish man in the 16th century and involves alot of historical events and people, but the character Mikael is ficitional. I really recommend it, especially to anyone interested in that historical period.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 14:40
I'm reading The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 21:05
I plan to read some Plato very soon, but I suspect it'll get delayed, but I'll try read some later.

I also need to finish reading the following:

Jorge Luis Borges - Ficciones
Charlie Stross - Scratch Monkey
Terry Pratchett - The Wee Free Men
Charles Dickens - Martin Chuzzlewit
Jim Christopulos and Phil Smart - Van der Graaf Generator: The Book
Franz Kafka - The Trial
George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London

So I have a lot to finish!  Wish me luck on this.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 06:51
No recent reading, but I highly recommend "Lempriere's Dictionary", a novel by Lawrence Norfolk, for which he won the Booker Prize.
Note about that book:; The author did a lot of research for this book (it is settled in the late 18th century), although many things are inventions too. In a short epilogue he explains how far his research went; he gives the example of a pot of geraniums standing on a balcony of a certain house in Paris in his book, which really stood there at that the time the novel takes place!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 320>