Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was your first prog concert?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 06:56
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

My greatest experiences have been in small, crowded clubs watching punk and post-punk bands ....
Ditto for me.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 07 2013 at 06:56
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 03:04
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Rainbow in... I think it was 1982.

I think I saw them on the same tour at The Rainbow in London - Joe Lynn Turner on vocals & supported by Rose Tattoo; when asked how Rainbow was, the standard answer I gave was 'Rose Tattoo were good'

My 1st prog gig was a little one a couple of years earlier - Pink Floyd at earls Court; 1st night they played The Wall in London... stunning! Mind you, when I saw Roger Waters play The Wall last year at the O2 in London, I think it was actually better...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 02:00
Rainbow in... I think it was 1982. It was the New Wave of British Heavy Metal and my friends were into metal in general, and they took me along that route.

Well, Rainbow probably isn't vintage prog, but rather prog related. Okay, I went to the Genesis Invisible Touch tour in 1987. I had no prog friends back then, so I went all by myself. 

Okay, the Genesis concert wasn't really proggy either. First 100% bona fide prog concert then was probably Pink Floyd in (I think) 1988, the Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour. It was absolutely fantastic.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 01:54
Peter Gabriel at Earls Court about 1992 after the release of Us. Didn't feel like a prog gig especially with a guest appearance by Sinead O'Connor.
I only started going to prog gigs well into my 30's. I guess Yes around about 1996 at Cardiff International Arena might have been my first.
Thkasabrk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 00:37
Mine was Jethro Tull, Long Beach, California April 1977. Songs From The Wood tour.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 00:06
1976 Frágil en la Concha Acústica del campo de Marte, I was 12

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 07 2013 at 12:17

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 23:21
Rush. I was in the 8th grade. Tampa, Florida. This was... 1981. I was 13 yrs old. Yikes. MOVING PICTURES had just come out. It was my first concert ever. My parents dropped me and my little brother off to see it. It wasn't what I expected at all. For one thing, there was this horrible smell and smoke in the air, I couldn't breathe, it was clearly pot. Secondly, the band members never moved from their spots, never showed any kind of passion. I guess I was expecting smashed guitars, Geddy Lee to breathe fire (a la Kiss), or something. The songs sounded just like the albums, which also disapointed me a bit.

Perhaps because of that experience, I didn't go to many arena-type concerts after that. I saw Floyd in a stadium in D.C. after A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF STADIUM. Again, a bit disapointing. I was so far away, I could barely see the band. (Floyd's still my favorite band in the world, but let's face it, it's headphone music.)

My greatest experiences have been in small, crowded clubs watching punk and post-punk bands playing in Europe. In France I saw a post-rock Mogwai-type band playing a hypnotic set, and I was so close I could've jumped on stage. That's the way live music should be experienced.

Edited by jude111 - January 06 2013 at 23:27
bobthenob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 23:06
Genesis at the Roxy in Hollywood: 2 shows a nite for 3 nites (they were the first act to play there). First concert was Black Sabbath, Yes, and Wild Turkey at The Forum in Inglewood CA. Got to see ALL the icons of the golden era, excepting VdGG, as they never toured the west. Saw Mr Hammill however, at The Troubador. Yes, Camel, PFM, Gentle Giant, Barclay James Harvest, ELP, RLO, Roxy Music, Nektar, Hawkwind, Floyd, Moody Blues, King Crimson (with The Strawbs opening), Zepplin, UK, Tull......damn, those were good times. And tix were less than $10.00 usually.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:53
Camel, in Denmark, Summer 1982.   They opened with Sasquatch.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:51
Rush's 2007 Snakes and Arrows tour. I was 13. Smile
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:41
I think the only prog show i've ever been to was when Roger Waters did Dark Side Of The Moon a few years back... it's too bad I was born long after the prime of my favorite bands...
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:40
If you count a proto-prog band, Led Zeppelin, Oakland Stadium, 1977.  If not, it was either Yes or Jethro Tull at the Oakland Arena, 1978.  My first concert ever was The Tubes, San Jose Auditorium, 1977 (I think).  Several tracks from the Yes performances are on The Word is Live album.  It was the Tormato tour and the first time they performed in the round.  I thought Tull would be kind of a mellow show, but when Martin Barre came on stage and started ripping into Minstrel in the Gallery, I knew how wrong I was.  It was a pleasant surprise.  Led Zeppelin was rather off playing an afternoon show, but both Derringer and Judas Priest (on their first west coast tour) tore it up.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:10
Since I grew up in El Salvador, in Central America, I never had the chance to see any prog act in the 70s, since no band came over there at that time. I moved to the US in 1988, and I made a point to make my first prog concert a memorable one, with my favorite band of all time. So I went to see Jethro Tull in 1989, for the Rock Island tour, and I have to say, I was not disappointed, even though it was not in their golden days.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 20:03

Incredible show.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
2112R View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 19:57
Rush Time Machine Tour 2010 @ Jiffy Lube Live Center outside of D.C. Simply Fantastic... then Dream Theater in 2011 and 2012 on the Dramatic Tour of Events.. again fantastic! 
"All (the naked man) means is the abstract man against the masses. The red star symbolizes any collectivist mentality." - Neil Peart
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 19:52
I actually haven't gone to one yet...I've been to a few non-prog concerts though. I'm seeing Nightwish very soon though Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 19:21

September 22, 1972:  Yes with The Eagles, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago

======

The Eagles were fresh out of the gate, their two big singles at the time were "Take It Easy" and "Witchy Woman."  The audience quite enjoyed them, and they introduced the next act as "Our friends, The Yes."  (old fartes like me recall that some called the band "The Yes" in those days)

Yes then came out and shredded everyone's consciousness with their "Close To The Edge" tour material, post-Bruford.  Basically, if you saw the movie "Yessongs," you have a decent idea of how it went.  

This seems to be the setlist as I recall it:  http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yes/1972/arie-crown-theater-chicago-il-63df369b.html

Squire in particular was amazing, he was all over the stage!!  He had a remarkable way of dancing and playing his Rick bass at the same time, I've only seen him do it that once...he traversed the width of the stage, and a roadie had to feed him his guitar cable by hand!  He was wearing those huge, thigh-high suede boots, a real attention-grabber!  

Howe was also amazing, playing his brown ES-345 Stereo guitar for much of the concert.   Wakeman was stunning in glitter cape and blonde hair probably as long as he ever wore it (past the middle of his back), it was the first time I'd ever seen stacked keyboards!!   

Anderson was, as always, magical.  White played the material as if he himself wrote it.   

Once the mirrored ball came down for "Close to the Edge," I was completely sucked in (I hadn't heard the LP before I saw this show).   Many good things resulted in my life from this experience.  

Edited by cstack3 - January 06 2013 at 19:24
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 18:06
Originally posted by Floyd Steely Floyd Steely wrote:

Pink Floyd at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, 1988.

I was also at the Queensryche concert at the Dane County Coliseum where their "Operation: Livecrime" DVD was shot.

HAHAHAHA ....

The Blues Magoos, The Who and Herman and the Hermits in the Dane County something or other ... have no idea what in 1968 or 1969. Later The Doors at the same place in Madison ... but Ben Vereen and Steve Miller ... were much more interesting running a muck in Madison! And in those days a couple of clubs were really hot, too!

For professive, Chicago, Sons of Champlin, Procol Harum in the days that they loved doing long cuts ... and it was cool to enjoy them, otherwise ... I would say that Pink Floyd at the Hollywood Bowl in 1972 would have been my "1st".  However, I do not consider a lot of that stuff not progressive, and find that the LA and SF scene was extremely progressive, and are not given credit for it. In those days, the long cuts that Santana, was doing, were far out. And the long cuts that the Grateful Dead were doing were also far out. And the 20 minute version of White Bird was also far out by It's a Beautiful Day ... but London is not king for me, and I don't thik the best. Babe Ruth was quite progressive and good at the Whiskey in 1972 for me, for example. Other than that .. .Tangerine Dream, and Nektar

Edited by moshkito - January 06 2013 at 18:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:54
Pink Floyd at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, 1988.

I was also at the Queensryche concert at the Dane County Coliseum where their "Operation: Livecrime" DVD was shot.

Edited by Floyd Steely - January 06 2013 at 17:56
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:52
Adrian Belew in Caracas, Venezuela 2005
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>