Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 16:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I just mean you can analyze it and compare the two without emotion, just
using the intellect.  It's not really based on opinion, as in, this music is
better than that music. 

I think we knew what you meant, and we were, I hope, only poking fun at you.

However, being serious, I, for one, rather wish people would not endlessly analyse music, without emotion. There is far too much of it on this site (others are also guilty, but I think we are the worse culprits). It's music, for heaven's sake. Music, there to be enjoyed, to be moved by, to become emotionally charged by and with, not, as some would have it, there to be categorised and pilloried just because the fourth part of the fifth movement of the second track does not contain sufficient types of instruments or ways of playing to fit it into a particular sub-genre, most of which are entirely of our own pedantic making anyway.

I despair.
Nail on head - We all know that progressive rock tends to be played by musicians who are mainly of virtuoso quality - but concentrate of virtuosity and you tend to get souless music.......My emotional response to a peice of music is likely to fairly unique and personal.........
Thus I can enjoy Harvest of Souls and whilst appreciating it is lifted somewhat from Suppers ready - for me that does not deduct from my emotional response to the track - which I personally like....
Emotional response is essential to enjoyment in my opinion - once you analyse the musical composition scientifically it becomes a purely academic process - interesting as an intellectual pursuit, but pointless in terms of gauging a tracks emotional impact on any given listener.
Peace. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 16:39
The closer a band came to make a Supper's Ready copy is Marillion with "Grendel", but i can understand why some people see a resemblance with Harvest Souls, by the great IQ. Neo Prog, to me it's a new symphonic approach of the old 70's music with  more aggressive guitar and drums, to put it simply. 
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 16:40
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I don't really share his opinion about the term Neo, but I share his opinion that there is no reason for calling Anglagard any more "genuine" Prog than IQ is.

Do you notice this is a contradiction?

First you say you don't share his opinuion about Neo, but then you  say that a Symphonic band is more genuine Prog than IQ.

IQ is Neo Prog, Anglagard is Symphonic....Both are Prog bands.

I like Anglagard more, but that's a matter of taste

Iván

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 17:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I don't really share his opinion about the term Neo, but I share his opinion that there is no reason for calling Anglagard any more "genuine" Prog than IQ is.

First you say you don't share his opinuion about Neo, but then you  say that a Symphonic band is more genuine Prog than IQ.

Iván
No Ivan, quite the contrary, I said that IMO Anglagard's Prog is not any more genuine than IQ's. Maybe as a non-English native my sentence was not well constructed?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 18:14
No. You phrased it fine.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 01:35
To comment on Martin Orford's comment, if I may do so at this late date:  It seems to me he is more incensed with the connotations of the lable 'Neo-Prog' than the phrase itself.  As for me, all the bands that I have heard with that label have a consistency of sound and approach which place them in that category.  One of those aspects is that they all remind me of Genesis at one point in time or another.  It is clear to me that bands such as IQ and Marillion (at least Fish era) had built upon the foundation of earlier bands in a unique way.  The same goes for later bands such as Flower Kings and Spock's Beard.  That is a given.  No artist creates from a vacuum.  Even the much heralded early Prog bands such as King Crimson and Yes, etc. display influences.  Part of the problem seems that NeoProg is connected to a specific period of time which other genres are not.  Yet the term merely means 'New Prog' which is certainly fitting.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 04:24
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^Agreed. Someone posted earlier that the only Neo prog album they liked was Script. Well that album is  far from Neo as described here. So thge label is unhelpful. Not sure what point I'm trying to make. Oh yes.....New Wave Of Prog would apply better to it. Can't say I like that clumsy description either though. But is more explanatory at least.

Fair enough although I would also mention IQ's Tales From The Lush Attic as defying this convenient description of 'neo'.

Sorry for my earlier comment re Harvest Of Souls. Wasn't taking a swipe at you even if it might have seemed like it. Also the two people I was referring to you were you and Martin Orford so at least I was putting you in good company.Big smile

BTW totally off topic but both Orford's solo albums are masterpeices imo. He is amazingly talented and its a great shame that he stopped making music (aside from the occasional guest appearance)
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:26
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Roxbrough Roxbrough wrote:

What about stop all labels and just listen to music?
Not a bad idea, but with thousands of artists searching just alphabetically is not good. As reviewer, when I try to describe something "new" I often compare what I hear with something well known. Subgenres can help in this sense  even when they are not very appropriated or the artist is controversial. I think Vangelis is on prog related only because he moved from JR/F to Symphonic, to Progressive Electronic, to Krautrock, to Avant, (the B-side of Heaven and Hell may fit in Zeuhl, too) that assigning him to a specific subgenre is impossible.

But if you remove ALL the labels this would become www.archives.com and couldn't be distinguished from metal archives and jazzmusic-archives, too. 

I would prefer that, being as I know my alphabet. I don't need anyone else to tell me what, "in their opinion", music I like fits into what pidgeon hole,
Live Long and Prosper
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:28

Iván

IQ is what? Anglagard is what? Where do you get this information? if you are going to make bold statements you should back them up with source reference, or prefix it with "in my opinion".
Live Long and Prosper
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:30
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

See the debate on Improve The Site (Revolutionise the Site). That is precisely what I am arguing, but, aside from a couple of hardy souls, I am very much alone.
You are not alone and being in a minority does not make you automatically wrong.
Live Long and Prosper
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:36

Not a bad idea, but with thousands of artists searching just alphabetically is not good. As reviewer, when I try to describe something "new" I often compare what I hear with something well known. Subgenres can help in this sense  even when they are not very appropriated or the artist is controversial. I think Vangelis is on prog related only because he moved from JR/F to Symphonic, to Progressive Electronic, to Krautrock, to Avant, (the B-side of Heaven and Hell may fit in Zeuhl, too) that assigning him to a specific subgenre is impossible.

But if you remove ALL the labels this would become www.archives.com and couldn't be distinguished from metal archives and jazzmusic-archives, too. 

I would prefer that, being as I know my alphabet. I don't need anyone else to tell me what, "in their opinion", music I like fits into what pidgeon hole,
The idea of pigeonholing is to enable people who have never heard a band (say Harmonium for example) to discover their music by association with other bands that they have heard of and do like. Knowledge of the alphabet does not give you that. We provide both methods of locating bands - you can take your choice of which you prefer to use and certainly serendipity is a wonderful method of finding that surprise discovery. But with 7,605 artists to pick from chance discovery is a needle in a haystack approach.
What?
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:38
If we all own up, Progressive is not the right tag for what we listen to now anyway. It is meant to indicate 'progress' and taste wise we all really hanker for a certain 'formula'. Punk was more progressive than progressive music when it arrived, but I doubt  many of us on here prefered it.
We would all be better of finding a new tag if we simply MUST have one.
I propose we all think of what we like as 'Intricate music'.

Get ready, ha ha ha
Live Long and Prosper
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:47

If we all own up, Progressive is not the right tag for what we listen to now anyway. It is meant to indicate 'progress' and taste wise we all really hanker for a certain 'formula'. Punk was more progressive than progressive music when it arrived, but I doubt  many of us on here prefered it.

Get ready, ha ha ha
Adjectives and Nouns.

Progressive Rock (n) vs. progressive (adj)
Neo Prog (n) vs neo (adj)
Symphonic Prog (n) vs symphonic (adj)
Eclectic Prog (n) vs eclectic (adj)
Heavy Prog (n) vs heavy (adj)

Ready whenever you are. Tongue
What?
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:56
I never thought about neo prog bands as "less-genuine" bands. To me it's just a label that describes their sound, not their quality..
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 07:56
[/QUOTE]
The idea of pigeonholing is to enable people who have never heard a band (say Harmonium for example) to discover their music by association with other bands that they have heard of and do like. Knowledge of the alphabet does not give you that. We provide both methods of locating bands - you can take your choice of which you prefer to use and certainly serendipity is a wonderful method of finding that surprise discovery. But with 7,605 artists to pick from chance discovery is a needle in a haystack approach.
[/QUOTE]

As you have refered to yourself in the plural, I am guesing you are one of the owners of the site, so let me take this opportunity in thanking you for a very good site indeed, I have used it many times.
Regarding the point you make about finding like material once one finds a single album that really strikes a chord, being nearly sixty I had no choice but to use the serendipity system in my youth.
Both approaches have their merits, but my how valuble my needles seemed when I finally had sorted through the haystack.
Maybe making it  easy for some individuals is a good thing. Making reward as a result of industry can be too though, can't it? 
Live Long and Prosper
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 07:58

Get ready, ha ha ha
Punk was a change, but technically it was regressive rock, not progressive.
The aim was to take all of the experimentation (or pretention, as they called it), and make it very basic.
It was not, by any stretch, progress.
That isn't to say it was all terrible.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 08:09
[/QUOTE]
Adjectives and Nouns.

Progressive Rock (n) vs. progressive (adj)
Neo Prog (n) vs neo (adj)
Symphonic Prog (n) vs symphonic (adj)
Eclectic Prog (n) vs eclectic (adj)
Heavy Prog (n) vs heavy (adj)

Ready whenever you are. Tongue
[/QUOTE]

Neo Prog is not a noun it is a noun and an abbreviation fused together and does not mean anything in the Queen's English.
When Progressive music first arrived on the scene the average listener would never have dreamed of calling it 'prog'.
Next it will be alleged that music is too long a noun and we should all call it 'Mu'!
The great thing about loving 'Progressive music' was that it was considered 'high brow' and music for universites, I would like to suggest we do not ruin that image with 'hip speak'.

Just an opinion gentlemen and ladies.
Live Long and Prosper
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 08:14
[/QUOTE]
The aim was to take all of the experimentation (or pretention, as they called it), and make it very basic.

[/QUOTE]

In order to allow those who had previously not created, do so. It was therefore progress in that sense.
Live Long and Prosper
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 08:19

Iván

IQ is what? Anglagard is what? Where do you get this information? if you are going to make bold statements you should back them up with source reference, or prefix it with "in my opinion".

He got the information from progarchives, which lists IQ as Neo and Anglagard as Symphonic.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 08:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

This is another great point Dean.  With our database people can search for bands either way they prefer, we offer the option.

If you want to use our genres to narrow your search, you have that choice.  Our definitions may not be the only way to sort bands but they are one way.   If you want to disregard them and cast out the labels, then ignore them and use the random or alphabetical or some other method to examine bands.  No one is forcing you to like sub genres in order to use the database.

But there is no reason to kill a system that many of us enjoy and find very valuable,  just because you don't.  Just use the site in the manner you wish. 

Some of the other issues raised in the revolution thread are as Dean pointed out yesterday,  grossly overstated.  I feel we were making real progress on new bands monitoring, team cooperation, team building, and morale.  Chris, Yam, Andy, and others, have been increasing efficiency of process.  It felt pretty good of late, so I thought.

Edited by Finnforest - January 19 2013 at 08:33

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>