Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour first Prog Song?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 16:52
Although to some, Carry on Wayward Son might be a suitable answer. And it is almost there, but the real jump was after buying Leftoverture to deal with the weird last track (Magnum Opus). Once I absorbed that song, I was on the prog path. Then I started listening to AOR radio, and heard more Kansas, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull.

That is, I might have heard I Know What I Like before that--and I can almost swear that I heard Roundabout before that. I'm pretty sure I like Roundabout from the get-go, though there was something definitely in there that nobody else was doing. 

But my first involvement with prog was Kansas->Leftoverture->Magnum Opus
-John
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I can't even recall when I fist heard the term prog rock.
I can. I was in a usenet newsgroup when we got tired of punk-alternative fans going on to alt.rock.progressive and sniping that people still listening to 70s music was the opposite of "progressive". "Real progressive" was the simplistic angst-driven discordant folk(?) that they listened to.

It's a good example of how to win a battle by retreat. "Hey, let's just call it 'prog'! There's no contention over the name 'prog'." In the 70s, I'm pretty sure we referred to it as "Art Rock", but sometimes "progressive music". 
-John
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 18:43
Probably Genesis - Giant Hogweed & The Knife, I was given them on a mixed tape by a friend.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 23:25
I can't possibly remember the first prog song I heard (Kansas?  Pink Floyd?) but the song that kickstarted my prog addiction was The Spirit of Radio by Rush.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
c_hawkbob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 12:48
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Y'all might not consider it prog, but looking back on it I do!
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 14:30
I bought Roundabout as a single when I was 8.  I was working my way up from Donny Osmond and Bobby Sherman. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

theadolescentprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 21:06
For me? Probably "Wish you were Here" Pink Floyd!
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 21:17
Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth was my first encounter with prog.  I listened to that album many times as a child, long before I knew what "prog" was.  I only discovered the genre years later when I heard "Carry On Wayward Son" and Floyd's "Brain Damage" on the radio and took an interest.
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
xeizo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 17:08
The Beatles. "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band", the whole record through headphones on high-end equipment for the era, it was there it all started, as prog as prog can be and something alike never heard before. Jimi Hendrix was waiting in the wings ...

Of slightly more modern bands, Queen II was an eye opener, as was Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme, to keep it short that was the beginning since then hundreds of bands and thousands of records have passed. Dream Theaters Images and Words was a milestone in recent time, Steven Wilson holds up the flag today, but there are so much great music out there and a lot of it are crossbred and a fusion of different styles so much is prog without strictly being "prog". I think the bandname of Dream Theater says a lot, it's an audible theatre to dream to - even for us non potheads ;-)
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 03:38
Tom Sawyer. Heard it on the radio on my way home from school one day in my early-mid teens about a decade ago. I didn't think too much of it at first admittedly, but then when I started playing drums I decided to get the Moving Pictures album remembering the drum part was unlike anything I'd ever heard before and wanted to figure out what went into playing so masterfully. It all spiraled out from there over the next few years.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 11:34
Not sure which was my first song from a prog branded band. It was either ELP's The Three Fates or Close to the Edge. My friends dad had CTtE and my dad had ELP. It is entirely possible that I heard Nights in White Satin prior to that.

However, what I would consider the first prog song would be Elton John's Funeral for a Friend. And I stand 100% behind its progressive attribution, as well as that of several other songs on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Olivier! View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 11:46
My father (and mother) was loving a lot Caravan - In the Land of... I heard this album so many times when I was a child that when I really started to listen to prog rock, I already known every notes of the solos in nine feet underground... Still one of my all time fav album.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 12:02
Hm, either anything on OK Computer if you count it, if not Pull Me Under since it's the first song on Images and Words, was the album that got me into it.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 12:11
Before I knew what Prog is: TEARS IN MY EYES - URIAH HEEP

After I discovered Prog: ROUNDABOUT - YES

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 20 2013 at 12:13

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 20:43
The first one I really remember listening to on my own was Constant Motion by Dream Theater when I was in middle school.  It had just come out at the time.  

Then I bought Octavarium from iTunes, which was my first prog album.  The title track on that I suppose was the first song that opened my eyes to this new world.  I was utterly amazed that you could make a song like Octavarium.  Just stunned.  I listened to the song over and over and over until I started listening to Genesis (Gabriel-era only).  And we all know what happened from there Wink

Edited by Earendil - April 22 2013 at 20:48
lct View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 06:10
Mine was Queen 2, I was 8 years old and in hospital with meningitis, my dad worked at a sawmill and all his co-workers clubbed together and bought me a Panasonic Walkman. In their wisdom they bought me a Bros tape, which quickly made me more ill. Seeing my distress my  parents got me Queen 2 for Christmas as i fell ill late December. I can remember hearing " Procession" for the first time and a wonderful stereo image of an  almost orchestral arrangement leading into "Father to sun"  rock out was a real awakening for me. 23 years later it is still a delight to behold. 

Apart from hot space it is probably their least rated album, but for me it's one of their best.   
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 14:31
More metally than proggy, but Panic Attack by Dream Theater got me into them, and soon I branched off into the prog world.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 15:18
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

My dad had a lot of prog albums when I was growing up, so it's hard to say what came first.  I just kind of grew up with it.  Even when I was 5 years old I had 2 of my own Moody Blues records.
Realizing I never gave an actual answer to the thread's question, I'll go out on a limb and say "the Voyage" by the Moody Blues.  Read my bio on PA for details.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 19:39
Hard to tell. A lot of what is considered prog was on the radio. I remember a friends brothers listening to Fragile. I heard Smoke on the Water when it first came out, does that count? I first heard Twenty First Century Schizoid Man in '74. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and thought "what the hell is this"? Never really looked back after that.
JaySpiral View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 18:01
Technically it would be "Limelight". But the first prog song I listened to with the intent of getting into prog was "The Musical Box" by Genesis. Been one of my favorites ever since!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>