Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour first Prog Song?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:16
It was probably "Night In White Satin"; but when I was a child in the 60s I have had the possibilty to listen to a lot of music from my elder brothers. If proto-prog counts, I was a Beatles fan since from the early 60s when i was used to ask my mother for coins to put in the juke-box. I think I have learned alphabet and numbers in this way.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:25
I imagine growing up in the 60s and 70s would render this sort of question almost impossible to answer. I know I have trouble finding out myself, because I didn't know about 'prog' for a loooooooooooooooooooong time - even if I listened to music that evidently was 'prog'. But if you grew up listening to this stuff on the radio from way back, then who's not to say that you popped out of momma's baking oven to the sounds of the hospital staff radio playing Careful with that Axe, Eugene?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I imagine growing up in the 60s and 70s would render this sort of question almost impossible to answer. I know I have trouble finding out myself, because I didn't know about 'prog' for a loooooooooooooooooooong time - even if I listened to music that evidently was 'prog'. But if you grew up listening to this stuff on the radio from way back, then who's not to say that you popped out of momma's baking oven to the sounds of the hospital staff radio playing Careful with that Axe, Eugene?

It was not the kind of things usually on air LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Cornelius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 06:24
Hi all,

Mine was "Close To The Edge" by Yes

I Think

Edited by Cornelius - May 10 2013 at 06:28
I Like To Drink Cough Medicine..!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:01
Maybe... "Bohemian Rhapsody"?
Yet, since my father is a huge Pink Floyd man and had a cassette of the Alan Parsons Project, I guess I may have heard songs from these two bands even before Queen.
lioninfire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 09:48

There was a song which I’d classify from the prog rock genre from around 1974ish which I haven’t heard since the 70’s. I never was able to catch the artist/title. I suspect someone on this site might remember who the artist is and what the title was. WLIR on Long Island NY was notorious for playing this song.

The synopsis of the lyrics is a spaceship lands, a landing ramp opens, children board it, the ramp closes up and takes off with the children. I remember it starting with a synthy type of intro.

I've mentioned this to people and the first thing they say is Styx "come sail away" but that is not it. Some have suggested Klaatu “Calling occupants of interplanetary craft” or Billy Thorpe “children of the Sun”. Not those either.

It’s definitely something obscure. Nothing popular that anyone remembers or ever plays. Can you recall the artist/title? Do you think anyone in your prog rock circles may know?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 13:17
1967......I was 16...so prolly Nights in White Satin, Tuesday Afternoon., and Whiter Shade of Pale.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
lioninfire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 13:59
If you want to be blown away by one of the most amazing Prog Rock songs check out the 15 minute long song "Utopia" from Todd Rundgren's Utopia. It has the same effect on me now as it did when I first heard it. I would rank it in the Prog top 5 of all time. Brilliantly amazing!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:03
Not sure which one I listened to first actually but it had to be "Dodo/Lurker" "Home By the Sea I & II" or "Hearts" as the first prog song I heard.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
trevortjes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:07
It all started for me with Boston. Foreplay / Longtime made me very curious about the hammond organ and so I found other bands like ELP and Yes :)
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 23:29
My first prog song was 'Repent Walpurgis' by Procol Harum. I believe it was in 1968 and my drum teacher had me play along with it. He lived next door and I was 8 years old. He had this huge console stereo that was so loud it was unreal. He would have me play along to records, after teaching me the parts.

Fond memories, for sure. And I'd never heard anything so powerful as Procol. I was a bit intimidated, to say the least.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 02:36
I guess OK Computer, but Radiohead isn't generally a progressive band in the traditional sesne so Dream Theater with Images I suppose, if you're even more accepting on borderlines of prog then SOAD was one of my first too.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 14:31
Heard Yes-Roundabout when it first debuted on FM radio in 1971 (I was in junior high-school).  That got me to buy Yes-Fragile, which got me into other English and European progressive bands of the early 1970s...
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 19:18
Possibly "The Runaway" from Gentle Giant when I first discovered FM radio. I'll always remember the sound of the glass smashing. Didn't rediscover the song until a few years ago when I picked up the album.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 23:17
Hmmm...not counting Beatles or Moody Blues songs, it was probably "Aqualung" when I was 11.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 18:00
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I've been wondering when you finally heard your first prog song?I'll give mine away "The Spirit of Radio" by Rush.WinkWink
I might get heat on this one, but I have to say for me it was the complete Beatles Sgt. Pepper album. Art Rock, it was Progressive, etc. Big smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Dhorr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 19:15
I probably heard a bunch of Pink Floyd or ELP's Lucky Man at some point on the radio, but the first song I deliberately listened to, knowing that it was progressive rock, was In the Court of the Crimson King, coming across it while reading about the groups various Asia members came from. It certainly hooked me on the genre right away.

Edited by Dhorr - May 30 2013 at 19:15
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
- HP Lovecraft, Call of Cthulhu
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 18:16
i bet it was tom sawyer from Rush, either that or Welcome Home from Coheed and Cambria
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 18:37
The first I can remember is Rush's R30 Medley (when my Dad got the R30 DVD). But my first song was way too early in my life for me to remember.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 18:59
ahhhh lucky i want that dvd if not others
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>