Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRiverside 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:28

I'm disappointed, dull ballad-based songs with an occasional hard-rock/heavy prog outbreak. Meh.

The most frustrating thing is that the instrumental 2nd disk shows how good they could actually be if they wanted,
but they play it too safe.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:42
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm not sure how boring compositions will be fixed with sound quality. 

The two are completely separate.  Sound quality is kinda like:   Having good manners or dressing well.  Those are always good to have going on.   But yes, any music has to be interesting regardless of the quality..

You say "boring compositions"?  Who is on the high horse now???

You didn't tell me if you had checked out the Mystery record.....

I've never heard of the band or album, sorry. And since when is having an opinion on a song make you act like being on a high horse.
I mentioned that because your response to me saying the album isn't good/boring is that i'm listening to mp3s on youtube and you decided to link me some stupid speakers.

You're making no sense.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:42
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

I'm disappointed, dull ballad-based songs with an occasional hard-rock/heavy prog outbreak. tThey play it too safe.

Agreed.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 12:29
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Dennis . . . pffft Big smile  Twas all meant in good fun.  The infamous 'fish face' comment just allowed me to open up a little more to you and give you the honor and pleasure of seeing my true maniacal and chaotic self . . . muhahahahaha

Yes, I know it was, you silly girl!Wink   I was so happy when I read your post that you finally gave me back a dose
of my own medicine.  Your post had me in stitches!LOL  LOL   LOL

I have just awarded you with the 1st:  "Little DennisMoore Award".  Well done, kind sir.
(We need to get a mod to help us get a little graphic for the "Little DennisMoore Award....)

Wear it proudly, Lad.

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 12:44

You didn't tell me if you had checked out the Mystery record.....

I've never heard of the band or album, sorry. And since when is having an opinion on a song make you act like being on a high horse.
I mentioned that because your response to me saying the album isn't good/boring is that i'm listening to mp3s on youtube and you decided to link me some stupid speakers.

You're making no sense.

Ok, from the top:   My comment "headbanging kids who play MP3s on youtube" , was to get your attention.
It worked and we are now having a dialog. Approve

Just now you helped me realize somethin, from your posts, it seems like you hear a clip on a PC in Youtube and you
judge the music based on that.  Don't misunderstand me.  I imagine more & more listen to music that way.
For me, before I offer an opinion on any song or band, I have already played the complete record(If I can stand it..)
on as good a system as I can so I can really see what the band is trying to do.  Prolly I am in the minority here.

So I guess my point is that you got me going when I saw your original comment when you said you saw a "clip on youtube" then you offered your opinion.

Perhaps most people now judge music that way?   Hmm, I hate polls but that would be a good question about forming
opinions about music:

Do people listen to a single clip/song on a PC with whatever cheap speakers the PC has?

or

Do people listen to a complete album on a stereo system?

I obviously have a PC and listen to music on it, but whenever I do, I make sure I listen to the same thing on my stereo
and it is always a whole different ballgame, so, very very hard to judge music just on the computer, and I do have some ok speakers on the PC.....

P.S.  Check out Mystery - One Among The Living, if you can get through the whole thing, and let me know what you think...   But I would ask that you try to find a half-decent system, that record has monster dnyamics on it that a PC will just not bring out.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 17:58
It's the execution and what the band actually does, not what they had in mind or were trying to do. 
And how i formed my opinion? Honestly it was a mixture of what you said. 

I listened to a few songs on Youtube to get a first impression. Then i sat through most of the album the next day to see if i missed anything and such. I don't even think the album is released here yet, not like i'd buy it anyway. The music didn't grab me whatsoever. I'll keep dipping my foot in the water, to see if my opinions change. But to me it's a clear step downward.

Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 07:48
Have only played it twice so far but I'm not impressed and it sounds like Porcupine Tree who I don't like much. Will keep playing it over the next few weeks and hope that it grows on me.
Wolfhound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 12:40
After a few playthroughs I enjoy the album for the most part, but not as much as some of Riverside's past releases like ADHD or SLS.
Wolfhound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 11:37
Happened to see the US Amazon.com MP3 store listing for this and they really screwed it up. The cost is $18.49 and they listed it with a second "disc" with only the song Coda on it.

FAIL!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 15:18

It's the execution and what the band actually does, not what they had in mind or were trying to do. 
And how i formed my opinion? Honestly it was a mixture of what you said. 

I listened to a few songs on Youtube to get a first impression. Then i sat through most of the album the next day to see if i missed anything and such. I don't even think the album is released here yet, not like i'd buy it anyway. The music didn't grab me whatsoever. I'll keep dipping my foot in the water, to see if my opinions change. But to me it's a clear step downward.

sorry for the delay....

fair enough, I was really starting to wonder if anybody actually listens to a record/cd on a stereo from start to finish anymore...  Your original post was so short, it got me thinking.... 

Riverside are coming to my town so I was curious and wanted more detail on their stuff.   Bands just can't win, when they stick to a specific genre their existing fan base loves it.  when they change a bit, fans scream bloody murder....  Sounds like Riverside fans don't like the new record much.

Youtube for me is a waste, just a popularity contest.  Example, a band I enjoy: Unitopia, had a complete song/video on youtube, and I thought it was by far the worst song on the album but it was certainly the most commercial.  If I was going to make a choice on that based on the youtube presentation I would have missed out on a fantastic record.

Cheers,

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 15:32
^ This has been a problem with most prog bands. If they keep a similar sound, fans say they're not being progressive. When a band does mix it up, fans act disappointed and write the band off.
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 22:56
Originally posted by Wolfhound Wolfhound wrote:

After a few playthroughs I enjoy the album for the most part, but not as much as some of Riverside's past releases like ADHD or SLS.

I hated ADHD. My least favorite album from them. New album is definitely a grower. It gets better with every listen for me especially when I listen to it really loud and I also like to accompany it with their last EP (Memories in my Head)
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 02:16
Masterpiece. Buy it!
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 03:21
I'll have a listen soon... You guys are dragging me into buying prog again....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 04:58

Youtube for me is a waste, just a popularity contest.  Example, a band I enjoy: Unitopia, had a complete song/video on youtube, and I thought it was by far the worst song on the album but it was certainly the most commercial.  If I was going to make a choice on that based on the youtube presentation I would have missed out on a fantastic record.

Cheers,

Back when the Crossover Team was just Micky and I, I made the observation that MySpace was useless for evaluating Prog Bands, this became what Micky termed Dean's Law: bands put their most accessible/commercial songs on the Internet. Great for selling an album, poor for deciding how Prog it is (and that in itself is a somewhat insular act, liking an album shouldn't be predicated on how Prog it is).

Back on topic, I haven't heard the whole album yet - I started playing it in the car and then the car had to go back to the dealer on a factory recall before it had finished. Foolishly I forgot to remove the CD beforehand. Thus far I can concur that it is softer than any previous album - which is not disappointing because I like that kind of thing and Duda's melancolic voice suits that atmospheric style rather well - whether sustaining that for 50 minutes results in a wholely satisfying album remains to be seen (when I've heared the whole thing I'll know more). For anyone wanting to sample Riverside for the first time, this probably isn't going to be a good starting point.
What?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 10:55
So when Opeth releases a softer album, it's seen as a prog masterpiece. When Riverside releases a softer album, it's seen as garbage.Confused
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

So when Opeth releases a softer album, it's seen as a prog masterpiece. When Riverside releases a softer album, it's seen as garbage.Confused

But Opeth's was like 70's so it has to be amazing!!!

I didn't like Heritage btw

Edited by Horizons - February 09 2013 at 11:17
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:20

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

But Opeth's was like 70's so it has to be amazing!!!

I didn't like Heritage btw

I'm referring more to Damnation. Heritage was a big move away from their core sound, whereas Damnation was like an album of their softer songs they were doing up until then.

But what do you mean "like 70s"?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:29
Don't know how i missed the Damnation reference. Wacko

They use a lot of Mellotrons, Rhodes pianos, and Hammond organs here plus Opeth has said that Joni Mitchell, Rainbow, Magma, Alice Cooper, and such were big influences. 
That interview gives some insight in some of choices and influences for the album's sound. 

Either way, i'm not an Opeth fan. Even Damnation began to bore me after a few listens. 

Edited by Horizons - February 09 2013 at 11:30
Meegan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:35
I don't normally like Riverside...

I listened to Out Of Myself a few times and didn't really like it all of that much

However this album has changed my opinion about them, I think I'll give Riverside a second chance Smile

Overall, I would say the album is the best of 2013 so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>