Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Least favorite Rush longs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: What's your least favorite of Rush's longer tracks?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [16.67%]
4 [8.33%]
16 [33.33%]
4 [8.33%]
1 [2.08%]
1 [2.08%]
3 [6.25%]
3 [6.25%]
1 [2.08%]
7 [14.58%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Least favorite Rush longs
    Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:17
As a Rush fan I find it very hard to choose a favorite track or album, there is too much I love equaly - but in a band that puts everything they come up with on their albums there are bound to be some lesser material. Personaly, I find that most of their longer tracks are not at the same level as the shorter ones - they never did master the "epic" format, IMO. 

So, here is a list of all their tracks over 8 minutes long, which I find is an adequate lenght for a song to enter the "epic" scope. Jacob's Ladder, off by just over 30 seconds from the 8 minute mark, is the only exception, as I feel that track's structure is closer the other tracks that to Rush's shorter songs.

Myself, I think I have to go with The Camera Eye. I think it's the weakest piece on an almost faultless record, just too long, repetitive, boring. 

Edited by Kotro - February 14 2013 at 15:18
Bigger on the inside.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:21
Lamneth
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:28
Jacob's Ladder, too repetitive for my liking it's still good though 
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:30
The Camera Eye here also.  2nd least favorite of the longs would be Jacob's Ladder. Xanadu & Cygnus X1 are obviously excellent songs, but for some reason I have ALWAYS had a very soft spot for The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth, all of Caress of Steel for that matter.  Of all the early albums and epics, I think Geddy's vocals on CoS are the most heartfelt, and Necromancer has some very trippy moments and hard rocking moments, and I love the diversity of Lamneth.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:32
Originally posted by Melomaniac

The Camera Eye here also.  2nd least favorite of the longs would be Jacob's Ladder. Xanadu & Cygnus X1 are obviously excellent songs, but for some reason I have ALWAYS had a very soft spot for The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth, all of Caress of Steel for that matter.  Of all the early albums and epics, I think Geddy's vocals on CoS are the most heartfelt, and Necromancer has some very trippy moments and hard rocking moments, and I love the diversity of Lamneth.

What's wrong with The Camera Eye?? I love it

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - February 14 2013 at 15:32
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:34
Originally posted by Kotro

As a Rush fan I find it very hard to choose a favorite track or album, there is too much I love equaly - but in a band that puts everything they come up with on their albums there are bound to be some lesser material. Personaly, I find that most of their longer tracks are not at the same level as the shorter ones - they never did master the "epic" format, IMO. 

So, here is a list of all their tracks over 8 minutes long, which I find is an adequate lenght for a song to enter the "epic" scope. Jacob's Ladder, off by just over 30 seconds from the 8 minute mark, is the only exception, as I feel that track's structure is closer the other tracks that to Rush's shorter songs.

Myself, I think I have to go with The Camera Eye. I think it's the weakest piece on an almost faultless record, just too long, repetitive, boring. 

Smoke    you are smoking something, nothing repetitive about it, now Jacob's Ladder is a different story
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:35
Hemispheres.  18.04 minutes? I thought it was much longer!
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:35
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112

There is nothing wrong with The Camera Eye per se, I love it also (almost an unconditional Rush fan myself, except for that dreadful Test for Echo album), it's just the one I love the least ; I think it would have been a better song had it been shorter and less repetitive.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:44

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112

There is nothing wrong with The Camera Eye per se, I love it also (almost an unconditional Rush fan myself, except for that dreadful Test for Echo album), it's just the one I love the least ; I think it would have been a better song had it been shorter and less repetitive.

repetitive??? Confused  I don't hear it? Where?? the riff before the verses?? I feel it's brilliant and not repetitive

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - February 14 2013 at 15:45
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:47
Easily 2112 for me.  I like everything else on the list significantly better. 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Post/Math Rock Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:54
By-Tor is an easy choice for me. Never cared for it. I much rather listen to Anthem or Fly By Night.

Fountain having two votes? Have they ever listened to it?

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:58
Originally posted by Horizons

Fountain having two votes? Have they ever listened to it?
I feel the same way, I think it's absolutely amazing and varied.  But to each their own, and I think this forum would be a better place if we all respected each other's opinions and tastes !  Hug
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Earthmover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:58
What? Fountain of Lamneth is one of the best Rush songs, not one of the worst.
That said, I simply hate By-Tor.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:01
the Necromancer. 
Coldness doth get away with the badness.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:02
In all honesty, I like them all but I voted for the Fountain of Lamneth in part because it's not integrated as one unified piece imo and also because I like it least. It just doesn't strike me as an epic or long track but rather a bunch of songs stiched together.
Hercules View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:06
I like all of them a lot.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Post/Math Rock Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:10
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller

In all honesty, I like them all but I voted for the Fountain of Lamneth in part because it's not integrated as one unified piece imo and also because I like it least. It just doesn't strike me as an epic or long track but rather a bunch of songs stiched together.
It's a sort of a proto-2112. Instead of a single,progressing tune - it tends to have the feeling of movements. I don't really think this takes away from the song, but rather how the movements are stitched together. I'd agree that Fountain seems like the movements are a bit abrupt, but the track as a whole is quite enjoyable. 

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:18
The Camera Eye
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:23
They're all good, But The Fountain is a tad messy.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:51
I like all of these. I vote for By-Tor and the Snow Dog, just before The Necromancer and 2112.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>