This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Tangerine Dream Album
    Posted: July 27 2005 at 05:41

I think the options explain everything at all

One more thing: feel free to write your comments on favorite TD era (you don't have to classify according to "official TD" classification. For me, each one of their albums in '70's represent one different era! Almost identical Phaedra and Rubycon is an exception...

Too little people put posts on my Tangerine Dream thread. I hope this one gets better attraction

keep on proggin'

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 06:31

Force Majeure, Cyclone close behind.

Meanwhile, here's a quiz question about TD: in which film can be heard a passage from Force Majeure and also some other TD stuff? (I was embarrassed to hear it in such a stupid film!)

Hint: here's to choose from: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:88239~C

Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 06:36

"Rubycon" is one of my all top ten albums! Therefore it's little strange that I never got exited about their other albums I have heard.

But there's a good supply of TD's albums on vinyl at the library near my office. I'll have to keep eye on this thread, and visit there after few days, loan some and do little listening after washing them!

But I'll leave soundtrack for the Shy People on the shelf.

philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 07:05

Alpha Centauri and Zeit for me, their earlier period is simply the best, macrocosmic music, a very physical experience.

here is what I can say about their major, revolutionary album "Alpha centauri":

After their first experimental album, Tangerine Dream launched themselves in the “cosmic” course, using more and more electronic / keyboards equipments instead of standard electric instruments. “Alpha Centauri” marked a new step in TD career. With this album they started explorations in synthesisers sounds, expanding experiments in sonomontage and electronic collages. Absolutely not rhythmical orientated, the music which prevails is built around long epic meditative / incantatory suites made by electro acoustic structures, discreet electric guitar lines and acoustic elements (mainly the flute). There’s only one short track, gradually combining vintage electric organ works to guitars, psychedelic flute lines and early analog instruments. Very suggestive and mentally abstract, this tune is followed by two epic compositions dominated by the same musical ingredients. The result is really hypnotising and cerebral. The music is long, indefinitely extended in time but completely captivating. The 22 minutes title track is incredibly spacey and a timeless experience. It brings your attention first to calm, strange electronic sounds and exotic flute variations, then it progressively reach you into a total amazing universe. You have the impression that you leave our current world. The sinister, haunted lament for several voices at the end of the tune closed this fantastic adventure. Highly recommended to stimulate the listener’s imagination. The summit of the band and an uncompromising classic album

Post Reply Post Reply