Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattle of the Hipsters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these hipster bands is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
4 [7.27%]
12 [21.82%]
3 [5.45%]
22 [40.00%]
2 [3.64%]
6 [10.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

Isn't "hipster music" indie and folk rock?

The term hipster originates from the post-WW2 bebop era of Charlie "Bird" Parker and the Beat writers. From Wikipedia: "Hipster or hepcat, as used in the 1940s, referred to aficionados of jazz, in particular bebop, which became popular in the early 1940s. The hipster adopted the lifestyle of the jazz musician, including some or all of the following: dress, slang, use of cannabis and other drugs, relaxed attitude, sarcastic humor, self-imposed poverty and relaxed sexual codes." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:54
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

The term hipster originates from the post-WW2 bebop era of Charlie "Bird" Parker and the Beat writers. From Wikipedia: "Hipster or hepcat, as used in the 1940s, referred to aficionados of jazz, in particular bebop, which became popular in the early 1940s. The hipster adopted the lifestyle of the jazz musician, including some or all of the following: dress, slang, use of cannabis and other drugs, relaxed attitude, sarcastic humor, self-imposed poverty and relaxed sexual codes." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)

I'm aware of that.  I mean the modern meaning of the term.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 12:05

Edited by jude111 - March 06 2013 at 15:24
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 12:10
Anathema live was awesome (on a boat on the Danube) but I love Ozrics too
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 12:33

I'm aware of that.  I mean the modern meaning of the term.

Not to nitpick, but perhaps contemporary is a better word. Modernism began at the turn of the 20th century. Jazz was one of the dominant musical forms of the modern era. We live in the post-modern era (or post-industrial, post-fordist, however you want to term it), particularly in the US and Western Europe.

Is this serious? "Modern" meaning "current".

mod·ern

adjective
of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient orremote: modern city life.
characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; notantiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints.
of or pertaining to the historical period following the MiddleAges: modern European history.
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of contemporary styles of artliterature, music, etc., that reject traditionally accepted orsanctioned forms and 
emphasize individual experimentation and sensibility.

Edited by Earendil - March 06 2013 at 12:43
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 12:44

Edited by jude111 - March 06 2013 at 15:23
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 12:45
If we live in a post-modern world, then what kind of world will we be in in 20-30 years? Isn't modern like current? Modern jazz is not really modern anymore, as it's going on 60-70 years old now. How can we live in a post-modern world when we are living in a modern world right now with all the gizmos and gadgets we love so much? The "post" tag means it's not happening anymore, and is the time afterwards. Post-industrial makes sense because we're not a society of factory workers anymore. Like "post-rock" is supposed to mean "after rock", yet, it still sounds like rock to me, just more depressing sounding.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 14:50

Edited by jude111 - March 06 2013 at 15:23
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:05
Forget HIpsterism vs modernism - we want Bananarama!
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:15

Is this serious? "Modern" meaning "current".

Yes, I'm serious. Modernism is over, it's past. Joyce was modern. Elliot was modern. Picasso was modern. Surrealists like Bunuel and Dali were modern. Dadaism was modern, Pollock was modern. Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, Louis Kahn, I.M. Pei and the Bauhaus were modern. At university, unless you're a freshman, you better be careful when you use the term 'modern'.

I'm fully aware that within the context of art and literary history, there is a period referred to as "Modern".  I prefer not to act like an art historian when I converse on a daily basis, and I think most people would appreciate this decision.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:22

I'm fully aware that within the context of art and literary history, there is a period referred to as "Modern".  I prefer not to act like an art historian when I converse on a daily basis, and I think most people would appreciate this decision.

Cry You're right, sorry about that Wink
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:29

No worries.  You were right of course about what you were saying.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:40

No worries.  You were right of course about what you were saying.
I get carried away sometimes posting. Too much time on my hands LOLLOLLOL
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 16:57
Poor Red Sparowes... Cry
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 17:02
In all seriousness, it wasn't my intent to start a huge brouhaha over the definition of a hipster; that was just tongue-in-cheek. It just seemed to me that these bands, despite being vastly different, still share some common qualities, mainly being more passive, introspective music, so I thought it would be neat to compare them.  But then the internet hate machine happened. The hipster link came from the fact that many of the people who make up a certain sect of popular counterculture that has been commonly labeled as hipster seem to be attracted to that type of music, for many hypothetical reasons (many of them having to do with consumption of less than legal substances). The reason I sometimes find myself at odds with the so-called "hipsters" is that it seems that some of them express conformism under the guise of non-conformism, which I find disingenuous.

Now, in big letters: I WAS NOT INSULTING ANY OF THE BANDS LISTED HERE!!!!! I happen to love them all and don't care if they are hipsters or not.

Edited by Failcore - March 06 2013 at 17:10
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 18:53
Originally posted by Failcore Failcore wrote:

Poor Red Sparowes... Cry

At least someone realizes their awesomeness. 

Tongue
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 23:58
They're not a huge favorite of mine, but I do like them, especially when I have that Red Sparowes feel. And also, I think they are one of the more unique and unconventional PR acts out there.
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 06:48
Ozrics
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 16:48

In all seriousness, it wasn't my intent to start a huge brouhaha over the definition of a hipster; that was just tongue-in-cheek. It just seemed to me that these bands, despite being vastly different, still share some common qualities, mainly being more passive, introspective music, so I thought it would be neat to compare them.  But then the internet hate machine happened. The hipster link came from the fact that many of the people who make up a certain sect of popular counterculture that has been commonly labeled as hipster seem to be attracted to that type of music, for many hypothetical reasons (many of them having to do with consumption of less than legal substances). The reason I sometimes find myself at odds with the so-called "hipsters" is that it seems that some of them express conformism under the guise of non-conformism, which I find disingenuous.

Now, in big letters: I WAS NOT INSULTING ANY OF THE BANDS LISTED HERE!!!!! I happen to love them all and don't care if they are hipsters or not.

If I am included in the group called, "the internet hate machine," I am so sorry! I, too, love all of these bands and I am genuinely curious about the "hipster" moniker! I've been truly educated by this thread and really appreciate the learning experience herein! My posts were never intended as "hateful" or even sarcastic: I had never heard of the category you referred to as "hipster bands" and wondered why these particular bands have been so labelled. Again, I have been educated and for that I am grateful. (My above referred-to daughter, I've found, though sometimes using the term "hipster" derrogatorily [even calling me a hipster!], owns quite a little Post Rock music.)

Anyway, again, FAILCORE and others, I apologize profusely if I have contributed in any way to any anxiety or even surprise on your part. My intentions were quite far from critical--more quizzical.

P.S. I voted for Red Sparowes: I LOVE their political motivations.    
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

If I am included in the group called, "the internet hate machine," I am so sorry! I, too, love all of these bands and I am genuinely curious about the "hipster" moniker! I've been truly educated by this thread and really appreciate the learning experience herein! My posts were never intended as "hateful" or even sarcastic: I had never heard of the category you referred to as "hipster bands" and wondered why these particular bands have been so labelled. Again, I have been educated and for that I am grateful. (My above referred-to daughter, I've found, though sometimes using the term "hipster" derrogatorily [even calling me a hipster!], owns quite a little Post Rock music.)

Anyway, again, FAILCORE and others, I apologize profusely if I have contributed in any way to any anxiety or even surprise on your part. My intentions were quite far from critical--more quizzical.

P.S. I voted for Red Sparowes: I LOVE their political motivations.    

Nah, it's all cool, you're fine. Your post was fine. Really I shouldn't care at all even if you had though, I just had a migraine headache and when I reread all the negative comments, it made me extremely angry for about 5 minutes.

Edited by Failcore - March 07 2013 at 16:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>