Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListening through Speakers or Headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 17:33
^ Your analogy of ..."What folks are listening to in the iPod's is nowhere near the quality of FM radio". Can be the same as saying....What folks are listening to in the digital is nowhere near the quality of analog.....iPods play digital files, FM radio plays analog and digital files....How to measure what is better over the airwaves seems pointless, way too much interference....maybe Dean would have better info here.

Fidelity refers to how accurate a copy is to its source, so I agree that a digital file (mp3, wma....) can be an inaccurate copy of an analog source, there are pcs of music missing, and the iPod or mp3 player cannot make the files sound better.
But I am not sure about FM radio being better, better at what? And a nice stereo that sounded almost as good as FM radio, or better....hmm, interesting but I don't think I could ever agree with that.

libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 18:32

I play 99.98% official CDs and LPs exclusively on my Man Cave set-ups.

I'm alot less strict in the livingroom & bedroom. As your gear improves, your source should also in order to get the most out of both.

In related news: I'm now in line to get a new Line Magnetic LM 215 CDP with a tubed stage later this month. WOOT! 
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 19:10
Usually speakers, whether at home or in the car. Only at times when I can't listen on speakers do I use headphones, but I don't prefer them as they cause pressure on my ears after a while.

And no ear-buds for me, I'd like to retain my hearing into old age.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 02:51
Come to think of it my headphones are the most expensive piece of audio equipment.
My Bose acoustimass 10 speaker surround sound system is 200$ bones less then the Magical HD 800's I own from sennheiser. Wow. I just blew my own mind. The HD 800's really are the most dynamic headphones on the planet.
Best cans For my tastes.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 09:33
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

I play 99.98% official CDs and LPs exclusively on my Man Cave set-ups.

I'm alot less strict in the livingroom & bedroom. As your gear improves, your source should also in order to get the most out of both.

In related news: I'm now in line to get a new Line Magnetic LM 215 CDP with a tubed stage later this month. WOOT! 

Nice! (saw that elsewhere)........I think this player will be head and shoulders above the Rega.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 15:43
The Rega was a pain in the arse. There. I said it.
It won't be a problem for me or anyone else now. I made sure of that.
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 20:48
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

The Rega was a pain in the arse. There. I said it.
It won't be a problem for me or anyone else now. I made sure of that.

Ha! It is for many people....but they have a hard following and some of those accept the "designed in" fault of the Rega hum, at least on the Brio-R. I could never accept any hum from my amp.
Now the Apollo-R seemed to have other issues...one to me was it was wayyyyy too expensive for its performance. Rega is too proud of their stuff.....I love their DAC, but will never shell out $1K for it...maybe $500 tops.

Look forward to your opinions of the LM CDP.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 00:08

Just got word that the LM is shipping to NYC from China in 1-2 weeks. I should have mine by late June/early July. Not too many of these CDPs in the States yet, but nothing but glowing reviews from loads of very jaded audiophiles. I should be pleased. I've only really been into audio now for 5-6 years. Still getting my feet. Still learning. Still looking forward to my dedicated listening sessions on weekends. God bless an empty house!

I loved my Rega Apollo, but i had to file for divorce due to constant frustration with tracking issues. That said, i'd like to at least demo the Apollo-R some day.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 15:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

In some ways this is the analog/digital discussion of other threads, about hearing the "real thing", or the vinyl discussions surrounding listening experiences and hearing the "full effect".
Interesting post..

This is  not about analog/digital at all!

It's the equivalent of headphones/speakers ... and the differences. But I don't do "earbuds"! I live with a set of headphones that cost $300 dollars ... why? ... because it's good! and the music is better! AND, above all ... on par with my speakers!

Here goes, again:

Ex: The remastered DSOTM -- was exactly the same as the English LP pressing. The American pressing was a copy of some sort that had cleaned out a lot of the background stuff, voices and words! Same thing for Sgt Peppers, Their Satanic Majesty's, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road and many others!

Ex: The KC remasters, did what KC could not do on a studio at that time because they did not know better. However, the clinical sounding remaster by SWilson, takes away a lot of the honesty and beauty that was there at the time and place ... which the slick studio version by SWilson, kinda lost ... it became like the effect was more important than the words or the music itself! I have a serious issue with that ... NONE OF THE Progressive pieces that we love from the era would have survived, if all they were doing was showing off a studio effect! NONE! Because most of them were not doing that, and it was not as important as the music itself!

Ex: FM radio in the early 70's in LA, at least where we were in Santa Barbara, was better than the LP's ... and I'm not sure why, but I can tell you that many bands sounded heavier and better than they really were as many turntables were slowed down a small percentage ... so Black Sabbath sounds lower and harder, for example! This is a massive thing for Chris Squire in YES, as it makes his bass comes out more. The "wave" effect on the music also added something that both the LP's and CD's do not have ... and I have many examples of it, if you would like to check!  I am almost convinced that FM, or "stereo", was the reason why so much of this music is remembered ... because it was indeed awesome to hear Eric and Duane having a duet! You would not even want to hear that on earphones! The FM dial is how you wanna hear it! You can't duplicate it in any studio, digital or analog! ... and this is the part that Neil Young does not know yet!

Edited by moshkito - June 09 2013 at 15:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:01
^ Well about all I can agree on is that FM radio in LA was the best......I grew up there early 70's and listened to KMET 94.7 and the original KLOS 95.5.....some of the only stations I know of that played progressive rock back then.

My father had a 7" Akai reel to reel deck and I used to record the night sessions as that is when the good stuff used to get spun......and yes that sounded pretty darn nice only due to my fathers nice setup.

But today.....nahhh. FM sounds bad compared to modern hi-fi equipment........Any remaster will sound different than the original, but the cleaning and in some cases the added musicality is worth it. My original Genesis SEBtP analog is bad, sounds like a blanket covers all the sound. The recent remasters are mixed much better and you just hear more music that digs deeper......As well as the SW remixes of KC. I enjoy my original US Atlantic copy of ItCOtCK, but much prefer the new version.

I don't listen to Neil Young so I do not know what he is doing.

Cheers
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 14:41
i do both, loudspeakers at home and headphones at school (and home sometimes), but despite my parents disapproval of my opinion, i recommend the loudspeakers because of the "freedom" it has lol
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 14:49
I love loudspeakers but I still have to say that listening on headphones I have found details which I had never noticed before on loudspeakers.
Tess Herect View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2013 at 05:51
I would only ever listen to headphones if it was at night and someone would call the police otherwise.  Besides being more comfortable and less head-crushing, my speakers were pretty expensive (at least in the early '80s) whereas I have relatively cheapy headphones.  The cans aren't bad per se, but after hearing an album on the full stereo system it's quite underwhelming to move down to little compressed ovals.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 22:12

My Man Cave right channel speakers: Klipsch Chorus II/Klipsch Cornwall II
Both modified (hot rodded) with more modern Bob Crites XO'ers and Ti tweeters. 15" woofers.
Approve
Livespecie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 01:08
At home I listen through speakers and I listen by earphones in my office so that no one gets disturbed.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 13:30
Still rockin the HD 800's by Sennheiser. This October will mark 2 years since I've had those puppies.
Changed my life. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 14:06
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Usually speakers, whether at home or in the car. Only at times when I can't listen on speakers do I use headphones, but I don't prefer them as they cause pressure on my ears after a while.

And no ear-buds for me, I'd like to retain my hearing into old age.

Same for me, though I already lost a bit of my hearing spectrum, it seems.

CKnoxW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 19:04
For me, speakers are king. Especially if we're talking about old Pioneer receivers and some excellent speakers to match. I tend to do whatever I can to avoid wearing headphones because I don't like the confining nature of them and I like to feel the vibrations from music pumped to rattling volumes. That being said, there are still situations when headphones are more appropriate, like when no one else wants to hear what you're listening to!
No matter what though, whatever you use to listen to music with, its quality should match how much you enjoy music. My Bose QC15's are a nice balance between sonic quality and usability. They might not sound as fantastic as a good pair of AKG's or Senheissers, but on the same token I wouldn't be able to "noise-cancel" out the sound of the lawn mower when I'm doing yard work. And they sound pretty good!
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 20:40
Headphones all the way. The sound from speakers tends to get lost and I lose my concentration very quickly. The thing is, I can already feel my hearing getting a little bit worse. But only a bit.
CouldntThinkOfAUsern View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:56
My earbuds are far superior to the stereo in my house. They're just so much less muddy. They have the add benefit of drowning out the outside world. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>