Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreatest record store of your youth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest record store of your youth?
    Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:16
Larree's post about Aron's in his newbie thread made me wonder, what is the greatest record store of your youth?  The long-gone, long defunct hole in the wall that had the best ambiance and coolest people, not mention great music.

My pick would go to Northern Lights in Saint Paul....where Husker Du hung out and where i frittered away many a day....bought my first CD here too in the 80s....they had so much great vinyl, with a heavy indie and punk focus.   Now it's a salon and rap store.  Cry

Here's the story about Husker with photos....

What was your "greatest" record store of your youth?

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:17
Circuit City.

Embarrassed
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:22
There was a used record store in Cincinnati called Ozarka Records.  Loved that place and got many a prog album there.  There was also a new record/CD store right down the block from Ozarka, whose name I can't remember any longer that was also really cool and also had a fairly decent prog selection.  And to top it all off, sandwiched in between the two was the Fantasy Emporium (a comic book shop).  All my shopping needs in one city block.  Headbanger
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:38
I'm pleased to see mine still exists:  Yesterday and Today Records, in Miami FL.

http://www.vintagerecords.com/

I was on a first name basis with the owner for many years, even though I was at first mostly known as "Dan's son" (I took after my dad).   I discovered so much great stuff there, and have fond memories of specific purchases.   I was just thinking about them this weekend when I was organizing my records and happened upon my old SST 45s of Black Flag and Minutemen that I bought there.  Ahhh memories.Approve

Edited by HolyMoly - March 11 2013 at 11:40
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:38
Wow Jim, great story and man that place had atmosphere! Love looking at old beat up American stores. Pure soul right there.

I remember growing up, me and a couple of friends in the know all went into the big city(Copenhagen) looking for one particular yellow sign that said GUF. This place was nirvana for folks who dig everything under the sun, even if they specialized in obscure rock from the 70s. This was of course down to the two guys running things, who had seen just about any interesting act you could ever think of. Man some of the stories they've told me.... I don't think I've ever been as jealous as one time where they told me about an open air Floyd gig they saw at the start of the 70s. Or maybe the TD gig in Hamburg trumps that, I don't know. Man those guys had stories, and a huge part of buying music back then was also about that. Talking music, spending 3 to 4 hours in there. Plus these guys smoked inside, drank beer and encouraged others (who could behave themselves of course), to do so as well. Far away from being a bar though, but the feeling of enjoying a couple of beers flipping around this labyrinth like store, with music stacked to the ceiling, that felt like freedom to me.
It's closed down now sadly, but I will never forget the good times I had inside GUF.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:42
David, I can't recall the name of the store, but I did go to a cool record store during the summer my family stayed in Copenhagen.  I remember buying the Police's "Outlandos d'Amour" there. I also remember the LP jackets on the racks were all empty, and that they kept the actual LPs behind the counter.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 11 2013 at 11:42

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:46
Let me say too, that this thread has really lifted my spirits today, if not made me a little nostalgic.  thanks Jimbo.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

David, I can't recall the name of the store, but I did go to a cool record store during the summer my family stayed in Copenhagen.  I remember buying the Police's "Outlandos d'Amour" there. I also remember the LP jackets on the racks were all empty, and that they kept the actual LPs behind the counter.

I keep forgetting that!
Love that you bought a Police album here, especially in a store that seems to have had it's fair share of Police dates. It must've had, seeing as it felt the need to hide away the records like some music store version of Gollum. My Precious!!!!!!!!!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:59
There's a shop called Vintage Vinyl that's pretty cool. Real nice and big selection.

I also used to go to Half Priced Books, which had used vinyl and books and other stuff for cheep. Usually had a limited selection, but cheep. Haven't gone sense I moved from Texas to St.Louis, as they don't have them here.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:44
Northern_Lights_Ron_Clark.jpg
Photo courtesy of Ron Clark
That Northern Lights is still the bar by which I measure all record stores. It was a cramped, crowded box with racks and racks of vinyl, no endcaps, or point of purchase displays, and a staff that couldn't care less if you were there or not. It had a smell that can best be described as '80s record store smell: incense over clove cigarettes, too much Aqua Net, a twist of wet wood with just a hint of Mennen Speed Stick. It wasn't a great smell, but still I'd love to encounter it again.
-Chris Strouth

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:50
The best record shop of my youth was called 'Davids Records' in Bracknell, England. This was just pre CD. It was very small, but I probably bought most of metal in there, and a fair amount of prog. It also sold tee-shirts and posters. It was totally independent and tucked away in the arse end of town. It stunk of old vinyl sleeves and dope, and there was usually a small gaggle of punks sat around drinking cider and Special Brew.

The owner was a rockerbilly with a huge quiff who had a very broad knowledge of music. It was the only shop in town that had 'The Lamb lies down on Broadway' at the time. My mum ventured in there to buy it for me for Christmas. 1984 I think. It later became Cave Records, and the window display was a huge ghoul dressed in monks robes. It was a big hang out for local goths at that point.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:58
Rob's Records, in Nottingham - so crammed with vinyl that there's a one-way system.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 13:03
Pittsburgh still has Jerry's

Time always wins.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 14:26
Ahh record shops of my youth!  I lived near Cambridge when I was young.  When I was a teenager I used to go into Cambridge to meet friends and hang around at record shops (or if my parents went shopping I would spend the whole time leafing through vinyl or at least the beautiful covers big and bold colourful covers aaah ! ) .  Probably not as cool as other record shops above, I used to hang around Andy's Records (AKA THe Beat Goes On) which was tiny (originally) and the basement was just sooo coooool (At least to a spotty teenager it was cool) and cramped, no room to get passed anyone.  Andy's also had a store on Cambridge Market which was also brilliant, always busy, I remember buying GonG live Etc from there.  The guy behind the counter was suitably sniffy about my purchase but I think he was a fan too.

There was also another record shop with individual listening booths  which was rare (old fashioned) then.  I can remember listening to Bill Nelson's Red Noise in one of them.  Listening posts came back again later on in the CD era. 

Anyway, Record shops eh?  Aaah!  Record shops .........
Help me I'm falling!
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 14:45
I used to visit a record store called 'Lost in Music'. It was close to Glasgow University in Ashton Lane near Byres Road. I spent many hours in it and discovered only fairly recently that the guy who owned it had sold up and moved to live in France.

I was introduced to Porcupine Tree in there - I bought 'Coma Divine' which was a signed copy (apparently) - I sold it on ebay later. Of course now I regret doing that

The bloke who worked in it knew me a little and would let me hear stuff he thought I might like e.g. Ozric Tentacles etc.

I miss that place and it held many memories for me over the years.
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 14:55
Cool thread, Finnforest!  Glad my post was inspiring.

Here is the link about the closing of Aron's for people to read on this thread.  Aron's was the greatest!

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:08
Anyone remember Musicland?  They used to be in strip malls all over the Midwest U.S.  I guess they also owned Sam Goody although I think those stores were more in the Northeast.  Musicland went bankrupt and FYE owns Sam Goody now.

As far as used records I built most of my collection (and spent most of my discretionary income) at Second Time Around Records on East Harry Street in Wichita, Kansas back in the early 80s.  Not sure when they closed but there were three guys who owned it, all musicians.  One of them was a jazz freak, one was into blues and one was kind of a psych & folk fan.  They turned me on to so much good music I had never heard of including Czesław Niemen, Plastic People of the Universe, Grateful Dead, Sweet Smoke, Atomic Rooster, and on and on.  Great place, now that you brought the subject up I miss them Unhappy

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:32
Rainbow Records in Oswestry, now sadly defunct for many years. Most of my vinyl was purchased there.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:35
Yep, Musicland, Record Shop, and Great American Music were typical "mall" shops in the suburbs.

To get to the gritty, cooler stores you had to venture into the city.  At least around here.  Saint Paul and Mpls had some decent ones.  A few were open late night so you could go out, party, and then hit the record store late before heading home..

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:59
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

I used to visit a record store called 'Lost in Music'. It was close to Glasgow University in Ashton Lane near Byres Road. I spent many hours in it and discovered only fairly recently that the guy who owned it had sold up and moved to live in France.

I was introduced to Porcupine Tree in there - I bought 'Coma Divine' which was a signed copy (apparently) - I sold it on ebay later. Of course now I regret doing that

The bloke who worked in it knew me a little and would let me hear stuff he thought I might like e.g. Ozric Tentacles etc.

I miss that place and it held many memories for me over the years.
Yep, same here. Knew it well but my youth was long gone at the time... Upstairs in De Courcy's, there used to be a cool new agey shop next door to it as well - Blue Moon or something similar. Brought back memories of the original Virgin store at Anderston in the city centre in the early-seventies when I was a kid. All gone now but wonderful memories.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>