Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour ultimate feel good album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:34
and Aqualung, of course
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:37
For me, the first albums which come to mind, mainly Canterburian -
                                                                               Steve Hillage's 'Open' - just bursting with positivity
                                                                                Soft Machine - 'Land Of Cockayne'
                                                                                Caravan - 'In the Land Of Grey And Pink'
                                                                                Khan - 'Space Shanty'
                                                                                Kevin Ayers - 'Joy Of A Toy'
                                                                                Jefferson Starship - 'Freedom At Point Zero'
                                                                                Ozric Tentacles - 'Erpland'
                                                                                Santana - 'Amigos'
                                                                                Sebastian Hardie - 'Four Moments'
 ..........probably many more too.........

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 01:39
Talking prog, these two.

Non-prog, this one is my choice, The Head and the Heart's debut. It holds some wonderful memories for me and I enjoy it very much.

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - March 15 2013 at 18:06
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 02:53
My favorite feelgood album are not classified as 'prog' as such

The Tubes - Remote Control

actually anything by The Tubes puts a smile on my face

within prog I would go for something by Mike Oldfield , probably Amarok. Delightfully silly complex music.
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 03:05
anything by Cardiacs.Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:17
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Lucio Battisti's Anima Latina hands down! Everything about this album makes my heart warmer and smile bigger.
Ohhhh....Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!
The cover alone gets me in the right mood.

I had a similar conversation with Jim(Finnforest) in one of my cover art polls, and I completely agree. This cover truly reflects the warmth and feel of the album in a way one very seldom comes across. There's a symbiosis going on right there.
I like the fact that I have sonic "brothers" from across the globe who dig stuff like thisClap 
Here's to you SagiBeer
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:23
This one always makes me happy Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:25
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nice ones MichaelLOL

Honestly, Dave, I kind of liked the idea of someone spraying their drink all over the screen upon seeing those Go-Go's/B-52's album covers on a PROG website lol!    

I remember many years ago, a local pool hall I used to spend most weekeds/Frdiay nights at, a bit rough, and they always had a jukebox booming out Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, Metallica, just big blokely `guy' songs, and my friend and I would always put on the Go-Go's `Our Lips Are Sealed' (you know, with the video of them in the water fountain lol?!), and the collective look of `What the F**K?!' around the place was priceless lol!

Although the place is long gone, I stil remember the jukebox code for that particular song - 00, 13 - lol!

LOL I read your post just before turning in last night(had to wake up early to go to class this morning, but alas the teacher called in sick todayBig smile), so didn't get to write you back oh kan-gu-ruuh!

I love to throw people - especially with music. Sometimes it rubs off to my persona, and I'll deliberately choose an opposing opinion to the one of the other person - simply because I sense a "narrow-mindedness", if you can dig it. I mean, if people only listens to hip hop - or if I meet folks who believe blindly in religion/government/newspapers whatever, - gotta challenge their views a bit to see if these creatures can put two and two togetherLOL

It's also about the fun factor though. Especially with music! Putting on Dolly Parton's Jolene at a heavy metal bar at 3 in the night after the onslaught of Pantera's Cowboys From Hell is a joy very few people know offLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:51

I love to throw people - especially with music.

And there, Dave, with your words, I present to all you prog rock fans, one of my favourite pop songs, that always make me smile and puts me in a good mood, from their wonderful second album `Life' (which I'd rate even higher if my ex didn't hang onto my CD when we split ):

The Cardigans - Carnival:

You must have a heart of stone not to smile when you hear this!

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:54
Like it too Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:57
LOL
I used to be a huge Cardigans fan back before they got famous! When they were underground and played some wonderfully unique cover versions of Black Sabbath tunes! 
But yeah, the clip you posted above is when things began to get a wee bit honey afflictedLOL
(I actually paused my Catapilla album for this.....)

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:02
Oh, yeah, Dave, their Sabbath covers are terrific! I remember reading how they were all big heavy metal nuts, and their record company didn't want them dressing in black, wanted them in psychedelic colours instead, which they hated!

Have you heard any of their later albums? Very moody and rather downbeat, a total reaction against the syrupy fizz they got caught up in! Well worth checking out, you might enjoy those more!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:09
No I haven't actually, and I have to admit that just now is the first time I've thought about The Cardigans for about 10 years or soLOL Damn....Jump straight back into the 90s! Jamiroquai, George Michael, Back Street Boys and a clothing style that beats the 80s in vileness imo:

I will however try to find Cardigans' latter day output by way of YouTubeThumbs Up

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:14
I'll send a few recommendations of later Cardigans tracks to sample when I get home, my friend. Don't think they've really been active for many years now?

Oh man, some of those 90's bands like Lush, Suede, Kula Shaker, Aussie band The Clouds, etc....I'd slot so many of their albums/songs into this thread!
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:17
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Magical Mystery Tour, as well. (Overall) a very upbeat album
 most Beatles albums make me feel good  [especially if i listen to it in the morning ]
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'll send a few recommendations of later Cardigans tracks to sample when I get home, my friend. Don't think they've really been active for many years now?

Oh man, some of those 90's bands like Lush, Suede, Kula Shaker, Aussie band The Clouds, etc....I'd slot so many of their albums/songs into this thread!

I was very much into 60s music during the 90sEmbarrassed The stuff from the 90s I listen to today is mostly electronic such as Future Sound Of London, Prodigy, The Orb, Aphex Twin. Also some Madchester scene, hip hop actually and the odd original metal releases. I'm thinking Neurosis and Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar, which I personally find to be a progressive rock masterpiece, even if it isn't prog. I don't know if that makes sense actuallyLOL

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:05

Chicago '16' album from 1982 - when I happen to be in an 'up' mood (quite infrequent, truth be known....) this album always rocks and makes my day. 

Generally I'm more 'at home' and 'cozy' with VDGG/Hammill, Magma, Henry Cow/Art Bears and most Scandinavian things..........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Chicago '16' album from 1982 - when I happen to be in an 'up' mood (quite infrequent, truth be known....) this album always rocks and makes my day. 

Generally I'm more 'at home' and 'cozy' with VDGG/Hammill, Magma, Henry Cow/Art Bears and most Scandinavian things..........

Those last acts you mention, Tom, aren't exactly cheerfulLOL But I can dig it.

Magma is far from being comfort food, yet I get uplifted by those operatic sprees and the jumpiness of the band which rivals the "feel good" vibe I get from an album such as Alan Parson's I Robot. Not that the two have anything in common....

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:58

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Those last acts you mention, Tom, aren't exactly cheerfulLOL But I can dig it.

That's exactly what I meant.  I find a certain 'comfort' in the unconventional.............
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 08:12
For a sheer feelgood album, it has to be this:

The band at their peak, having a whale of a time on stage - highly recommend the DVD, too.

As far as a feelgood prog album goes I can always go back to this:

Never, ever get bored of that one.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>