Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho is peaking right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:25
White Willow. Took a few years off after Jacob got burnt out a bit on progand then came back with their best album yet in Terminal Twilight.

To-Mera. Keep getting better with every release and It'll be hard to top Exile, much more inventive thanh sister band Haken.

Toby Driver. He doesnt make bad music. Period.

Between the Buried and Me. Like To-Mera, they keep getting better with every album, only they're onto their 6th now and it really is a surprise to see just hoe much they improve for each album.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:30
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Agree on Aranis (although I rate Songs from Mirage a bit higher than Roqueforte) and Yugen, still have Future Kings on my "to check out" list.

Rational Diet would make this list if they hadn't just imploded, but there is a potential upside in that they split into two acts, if both are as good as their origins they will be worth hearing for sure.
Check out TFKOE, you won't be disappointed, excellent modern spacey atmospheric stuff, way way too unknown for the quality of the music.

I've listened to samples of the two ex-Rational Diet bands, Five-Storey Ensemble and Archestra, both sound extremely promising. I have the FSE on order from Wayside and the Archestra one is due to be released by the end of March. Good Times. Then there is also the new Yugen/AltrOck side project "Not A Good Sign" that I'm really looking forward to, they keep posting facebook updates of the recording process.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:12
Hiromi for sure. She has been on a roll since Time Control in 2007. Same with Beardfish as well. Haken is definitely on the up-swing, I'm not sure if they're peaking yet with only 2 albums, but both albums are very good. Umphrey's McGee has been peaking for a few years now, their live shows have been becoming epic. Riverside for sure, I feel their new album is great and is becoming a slowly emerging gem.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:34
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

PA's top 100 albums of the last few years:

Oh my, I looked through that entire list and haven't heard a single one of those albums. Confused
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:16
I  highly recommend The Tea Club.  They were under my radar screen until they showed up in the top 10 of 2012.  I had to get all three of their albums.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:57
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Hiromi for sure. She has been on a roll since Time Control in 2007. Same with Beardfish as well. Haken is definitely on the up-swing, I'm not sure if they're peaking yet with only 2 albums, but both albums are very good. Umphrey's McGee has been peaking for a few years now, their live shows have been becoming epic. Riverside for sure, I feel their new album is great and is becoming a slowly emerging gem.

I'd second Hiromi, though I'd say it started earlier with 05's Spiral, love that album.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'd second Hiromi, though I'd say it started earlier with 05's Spiral, love that album.
Yeah Hiromi is excellent, loving VOICE.
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:12
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

PA's top 100 albums of the last few years:

Oh my, I looked through that entire list and haven't heard a single one of those albums. Confused
I have about 18 of those and can highly recommend most of the RIO/Avant/Zeuhl/Fusion stuff. There have been some terrific recent releases though surprising most of my recent favorites aren't on that list.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - March 18 2013 at 16:28
Ian

Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:14
Big Big Train for me. Their albums just keep getting better and better. IMO PT peaked at Deadwing. The last two albums have not been their best.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:24
I would agree that Astra are getting better, Phideaux is on a roll, and Big Big Train are sounding better than before.
I think Wobbler keeps getting better and I am looking forward to the next Sanguine Hum cd.
Oh....and imho IQ has never sounded better, their last 2 cd's are as good as if not better than anything they have done before imo.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 17:14
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Anathema. No doubt at all. They are the best band in the world right now, they've basically invented two separate genres, and I think in a few years we'll see "atmospheric rock" coming through as a real thing, all based on their last 3 records.

Circus Maximus, unless they top their latest album (not likely). Same with Haken, who are bombarding my facebook feed with HEY GUYS LOOK WE'RE RECORDING DRUMS.

I actually agree with Steven Wilson, Raven is his best since the Incident, but a lot of people didn't like that, so could even be his best since FOABP.

Anathema would be my choice as well. Weather Systems impressed the hell out of me.I have started buying their albums and have 5 that preceded it. They are good but Weather Systems is still my favourite.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yeah Hiromi is excellent, loving VOICE.

I think she topped "Voice" with her new album "Move". Same lineup, but sounds proggier.
dysoriented View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 18:01
I wondered this, to me it feels like most bands had their day before I was even thought of.
I can't recommend anything that hasn't already been recommended here lol. iamthemorning's new album is a breath of fresh air, anathema absolutely smashed it with weather systems. The Tea Club has been mentioned too, I found them a couple of months back, haven't looked back!
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 06:55
Some Norwegian art-rock has also been gaining a lot of fans and critical acclaim worldwide - you've mentioned White Willow, but I'm especially thinking of Motorpsycho, Jaga Jazzist and Susanne Sundfør.
Bigger on the inside.
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:00
Already mentioned but would definately agree with BBT, Anathema and Mr Wilson.
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:44
Cool and thank you for the input.  I'm going to put a spotify playlist together over the next couple of days based on all of the recommendations that I can find on there.  Once I get the playlist, I'll share it on here if I can figure out how to do that.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:58

Who will turn out to be the Yes or Genesis of this decade? Mastodon? Astra? Phideaux? Big Big Train? Beardfish?

imo Big Big Train are already the Genesis of this decade. If English Electric 1 had been released in the 70s we'd be talking about another SEBTP by now.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:10

Herd Of Instinct, Vespero, Astra, Diagonal, Leprous, My Brother The Wind

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:18
I agree with most of the suggestions here and just wanted to add District 97. Most probably haven't peaked yet (only 2 albums up to now), but after an amazing debut, improved on that wonderfully with their second album. Lots more great material to come from them, I feel.
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:01
My first two thoughts when I read the topic were:  Anathema and Big Big Train.  But why not include Neal Morse?  The man has sustained greatness through the years with no signs of letting up.  I would love to include Marillion but they have been too up and down the past few years- though I do love me a big bowl of STCBM!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>