Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedU.S. Supreme Court Considers Gay Marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Poll Question: What is your opinion on this?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [73.33%]
1 [1.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [10.67%]
9 [12.00%]
2 [2.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 09:17
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The state issue just really comes down to is how deeply divided/diverse this country is.  There are areas of the country that are deeply liberal and there are areas that are deeply conservative.  So the gist is, let the liberal states have their gay marriages but allow the conservative states to not allow them.  In a sense, this is a compromise that would make both sides of the argument "happy".  Although, if you are a liberal living in a conservative state (I am looking at you Slarti Wink) or a conservative living in a liberal state than it would continue to be an issue. 

Or if you happen to be gay in a conservative state.  Wink

Didn't they try that same sort of compromise in the 19th century regarding slavery?  Didn't really help the slaves in the south did it?  It's not about making liberals or conservatives happy, but about allowing people to be free to live their lives as they see fit. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 09:43
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The state issue just really comes down to is how deeply divided/diverse this country is.  There are areas of the country that are deeply liberal and there are areas that are deeply conservative.  So the gist is, let the liberal states have their gay marriages but allow the conservative states to not allow them.  In a sense, this is a compromise that would make both sides of the argument "happy".  Although, if you are a liberal living in a conservative state (I am looking at you Slarti Wink) or a conservative living in a liberal state than it would continue to be an issue. 

Or if you happen to be gay in a conservative state.  Wink

Didn't they try that same sort of compromise in the 19th century regarding slavery?  Didn't really help the slaves in the south did it?  It's not about making liberals or conservatives happy, but about allowing people to be free to live their lives as they see fit. 
I agree.  But doing so will make a lot of people unhappy.  I did get an earlier chuckle about changing the law in 49 states and leaving Alaska as a safe haven for those people who absolutely cannot accept gay marriage. 
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 10:24
I used to be a supporter of gay marriage, now I don't know if I support it or not, because I believe marriage should be a contract that two consenting adults sign. I also don't believe anyone should receive benefits for being married and discriminate against people who have not engaged in a country-sanctioned marriage.

Edited by King of Loss - March 27 2013 at 10:24
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 10:25
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I used to be a supporter of gay marriage, now I don't know if I support it or not, because I believe marriage should be a contract that two consenting adults sign. I also don't believe anyone should receive benefits for being married and discriminate against people who have not engaged in a country-sanctioned marriage.

Confused Gay people can't consent?  Or they aren't adults? 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 10:30

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Confused Gay people can't consent?  Or they aren't adults? 

I just don't believe the federal government should be using the federal government as a battering ram for opening promoting gay marriage, which I don't have a problem, but I do have a problem with the federal government forcing one or the other way on two consenting adults. I think all unions, be it heterosexual or homosexual, should be civil and should not be considered government-sanctioned marriage.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 10:41
^The government is not forcing anyone to choose gay marriage.  Hey, if the government told me I had to marry a man or else, I'd certainly have a problem with that.  It isn't about forcing people to make choices, it is about allowing people the freedom to make their own choices. 

Maybe the government shouldn't play a role in marriage, but that's another argument altogether.  As it stands, the government does currently play a role in defining marriage and providing benefits/penalties to marriage, and therefore should butt out of people's choices as to whom they wish to marry.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 10:42
Government aside, I think it should be up to the individual priest to decide whether he/she wants to marry any couple. Sure if it's done at city hall, it's an altogether different story.
Like I said earlier marriage should be about love, not about gender or sexual preferences. 
The hardest part of that equation is getting all the squares out there to realize and accept that the love between two men/women you name the constellation, is just as real as the one experienced by straight folks.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 10:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Government aside, I think it should be up to the individual priest to decide whether he/she wants to marry any couple. Sure if it's done at city hall, it's an altogether different story.
Like I said earlier marriage should be about love, not about gender or sexual preferences. 
The hardest part of that equation is getting all the squares out there to realize and accept that the love between two men/women you name the constellation, is just as real as the one experienced by straight folks.

I think the hardest part is getting everyone to realize that what other people do with their lives is none of their damn business.  It isn't about accepting anything, it's about live and let live. 

I do agree though that the government should not be able to force religious institutions to perform marriages to which they are opposed. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:01
I fully agree with everything you said, I've just come across so many people who refuse to acknowledge such a simple truth as the one I mentioned. It's of course much more than that as you point out, but I tend to focus on the little things that I meet every time I attend parties and get-togethers where there's hundreds of gay people around. It then gets very personal, and saying a thing like "it's none of your business" to one of these hot heads who only came to ridicule and throw stones, is simply beyond feasible. Doesn't work.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 27 2013 at 11:02
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:08

I think the hardest part is getting everyone to realize that what other people do with their lives is none of their damn business.  It isn't about accepting anything, it's about live and let live. 

I do agree though that the government should not be able to force religious institutions to perform marriages to which they are opposed. 
I agree with this as well.  If the church as a "business" decides to turn away potential "customers" that is their choice to do so. 

The only analogy that seems to come to mind is the one regarding the Augusta golf club and their refusal to allow women into the club as members.  (I believe that this glass ceiling was finally breeched on this if my memory serves me right).  The argument being that women are being discriminated against when it comes to the opportunity of participating in the types of backroom business dealings that go on in a club like that.  I am glad that the government did not step in and force the club to allow women, but I am also disappointed by the number of businesses that businesses leaders that continued to support the club despite its discriminatory practices.   
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:44
“You could have said in the Loving case, what–you can’t get married, but you can have an interracial union. Everyone would know that that was wrong."

Ted Olson, pro-marriage equality attorney, compared today's case before the Supreme Court to the case of Loving v. Virginia, which struck down laws against interracial marriage. http://on.msnbc.com/YH380o

Do you think it's a fair comparison?
“You could have said in the Loving case, what–you can’t get married, but you can have an interracial union. Everyone would know that that was wrong.&quot;     Ted Olson, pro-marriage equality attorney, compared todays case before the Supreme Court to the case of Loving v. Virginia, which struck down laws against interracial marriage. http://on.msnbc.com/YH380o    Do you think its a fair comparison?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:44
Silly queers...thinking they have rights!

Of course, option #1 for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be off to my BDSM, 17 husband, 22 wife afternoon orgy in the graveyard dressed as past US presidents using replica constitutions as birth control...

Edited by Man With Hat - March 27 2013 at 14:46
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:48
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be off to my BDSM, 17 husband, 22 wife afternoon orgy in the graveyard dressed as past US presidents using replica constitutions as birth control...

It's important to live a balanced twisted life. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:50
Easy for you to say, I'm husband number 12Angry

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:50

And you didn't invite me?  Angry
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:53
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

The name of this thread is a bit misleading: for a few seconds, I thought that it meant that some members of the U.S. Supreme Court consider marrying each other.
My bad.
!
Thumbs Up

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:54

And you didn't invite me?  Angry

We are planning on touring the US to look for more members. We'll be sure to stop in texas...they will love us down there.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:55

Don't forget the lube this time man...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:58

Don't forget the lube this time man...

I'll give you sand paper big fella, if you forget Valentines one more time...

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 15:14
photo

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 27 2013 at 15:14

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>