28 [84.85%]
5 [15.15%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 01:57
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

In the Hot Seat because of the good studio version of Pictures in Dolby Surround.

Iván

There is a good version of The Sage and Great Gates Of Kiev but its let down badly by a truncated version of the Baba Yaga section which is easily my favourite thing about Pictures.

Edited by richardh - April 02 2013 at 01:57
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 02:08
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Before I started this poll, I wanted to 'rehabilitate' Love Beach's popularity, as it's the butt of so many jokes around here (I rarely see In The Hot Seat being used in that way.)

Now my work is done, look at the percentages:

18 [85.71%]
3 [14.29%]
We're not out of the lurch just yet - I see the Anti-Love Beach wolf-pack is comin' a-runnin', frothing at the mouth and snarling - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not Love Beach - In The Hot S.h.i.t.!! - Hand of Truth (opening track in 9/8 time...) is the best thing on it, (and Piccies) - this is true, but overall, LB isn't a bad album at all.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 02:16
Originally posted by Adams Bolero Adams Bolero wrote:

'Love Beach' is actually a good album if you ignore the cover but 'In The Hot Seat ' definitively deserves the title 'On the Toilet Seat'.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 03:13
Love Beach is a stronger and more 'traditionally' progressive album than Invisible Touch................Ouch
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 15:38
The Dolby Surround version of Pictures was originally released on the box set called Return Of The Manticore which I already had in my collection when ITHS was released. It was of course a bonus track and an attempt to raise some interest in a very dull album. One track even featured a session keyboard player and a session drummer.Ouch
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Dolby Surround version of Pictures was originally released on the box set called Return Of The Manticore which I already had in my collection when ITHS was released. It was of course a bonus track and an attempt to raise some interest in a very dull album. One track even featured a session keyboard player and a session drummer.Ouch

Yers I know, I got Return of the Manticore after ITHS.

But still that piece pays the album, and with a small investment, I paid 100 bucks in Lima for the box set and like 6 bucks in Santiago de Chile for ITHS

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 11:53
Definitely Love Beach.  Ya, it has the gagworthy title track and  "Taste of My Love", but the sidelong "Memoirs..." more than makes up for that.  It's one of those "1 sided albums" that never got off side 2 on my turntable.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 14:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Definitely Love Beach.  Ya, it has the gagworthy title track and  "Taste of My Love", but the sidelong "Memoirs..." more than makes up for that.  It's one of those "1 sided albums" that never got off side 2 on my turntable.

The title track is saved by some very nifty drumming imo. Side One has some highlights especially the girlie backing vocals on The Gambler and more nifty drumming on Canario. For You is an excellent song that deservedly found its way onto the Return of The Manticore box set.
I like Memoirs parts 1 and 2 but part 3 just meanders before the sudden melodramatic 'the telegram...'.Part 4 is just plain lazy. Just had to be a ' March'Sleepy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 23:52
Palmer is on fire on this album.  The Gambler has such a good 'feel' and a cool moog solo in the middle. Emmo's Yamaha GX1 sounds a bit cheesy, but well played.  Always a joy to hear a clavinet, and surprisingly some e-piano too. The piano parts on side 2 are exquisite. I suppose Greg was using his 8 string Alembic bass at this stage..? And again, Palmer really put in some serious effort to raise the quality to another level.  Shame about the cover.........
'For You' is excellent.  Canario is excellent.  I've been acquainted with this album since 1988 and apart from the cover, I've never thought ill of this album - I was disappointed there was no Hammond, though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 01:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Palmer is on fire on this album.  The Gambler has such a good 'feel' and a cool moog solo in the middle. Emmo's Yamaha GX1 sounds a bit cheesy, but well played.  Always a joy to hear a clavinet, and surprisingly some e-piano too. The piano parts on side 2 are exquisite. I suppose Greg was using his 8 string Alembic bass at this stage..? And again, Palmer really put in some serious effort to raise the quality to another level.  Shame about the cover.........
'For You' is excellent.  Canario is excellent.  I've been acquainted with this album since 1988 and apart from the cover, I've never thought ill of this album - I was disappointed there was no Hammond, though.

Lack of Hammond is a real downer. Emerson wanted to try and create an orchestral feel with the keyboards (mainly the Yamaha GX1 as you mention) which he managed really well on Memoirs Part 1 but otherwise it sounds too 'thin' elsewhere for my taste. It was meant to be a radio friendly album so I guess the idea was to avoid too much of a big sound. However as I mentioned before Genesis created a radio friendly album in Duke that still felt like a 'big production to my ears.

Edited by richardh - April 04 2013 at 01:56
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 01:59

Regarding Palmer that would have been the last album that he played with a single bass drum ( or maybe he did with PM? - not sure). With Asia he adopted 2 bass drums and deliberately changed his style of playing. Love Beach is virtually his last hurrah as a top drummer sadly.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 06:56

Regarding Palmer that would have been the last album that he played with a single bass drum ( or maybe he did with PM? - not sure). With Asia he adopted 2 bass drums and deliberately changed his style of playing. Love Beach is virtually his last hurrah as a top drummer sadly.
The first time I heard Palmer with 2 bass drums was toward the end of 'Sole Survivor' - that first Asia album is another similar 'goodie' as Love Beach.  I'm really glad that there are many folks out there who appreciate LB.  It's possibly on par with 'Tormato'.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:02

The first time I heard Palmer with 2 bass drums was toward the end of 'Sole Survivor' - that first Asia album is another similar 'goodie' as Love Beach.  I'm really glad that there are many folks out there who appreciate LB.  It's possibly on par with 'Tormato'.

I agree that Love Beach is nowhere near bad as its most vociferous critics would have us believe and yes, Carl's drumming is excellent throughout BUT:
Nothing like damning something with feint praise is there?Confused
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:17
Tormato is much better than  Love Beach. But disagree with Richard(as laways it seems) Palmer  continued to  be a top drummer.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:22
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If a little more thought from the art department went into presenting the bloody thing, it may have saved it a lot of flack.  The cover shot is atrocious.  The back photo was quite mellow LOL. One of the worst covers of any record I own - even the 'Hawklords' album cover had a bit of intrigue to it.......not that it was much better..........

WEll the whole band hate the  cover and Emerson lobbied Atlantic to change the album title.
It could have been worse (just). They could have had the cover of the first Montrose album.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:36
^at least they ain't in their pajamas in the Bahamas
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 11:45
Love Beach by a comfortable distance, as it has far more energy than ITHS (anagram for SH!T). I agree with those who point out how good Carl Palmer’s drumming sounds on this album, especially the title track. With a bigger production Love Beach could have become an AOR hit along the lines of Boston - after all it's not a million miles from what Asia had success with a few years later. But the title and cover torpedoed any chance of that and turned it into a joke.

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

In no particular order of toe curling wretchedness:
When I Finally marched from Sandhurst, I'd learned to put my fellow man firstEmbarrassed

Yes it's great now you're a full time nurse, but do be careful with the air-raids getting worseDead

I'm gonna love you like nobody ever loved you climb on my rocket and we'll fly.Ouch

It's time to disappear - with you, to where the skies are blue.Cry

God there are so many howlers on Taste of My Love, I’ve often thought it must be a mickey take:

“I want to hold you and enfold you beyond reason
I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight”

“Call up room service, order peaches and cream
I like my desert first - if you know what I mean.
Yeah, taste it, taste it, taste it”

And the thought of chubby Greg Lake singing those lyrics with his big Cheshire Cat grin makes it even funnier than Spinal Tap’s Big Bottom to these ears.

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

God there are so many howlers on Taste of My Love, I’ve often thought it must be a mickey take:

And the thought of chubby Greg Lake singing those lyrics with his big Cheshire Cat grin makes it even funnier than Spinal Tap’s Big Bottom to these ears.

Great One LOL     

I used to have a .sig that read:

"Every day a little sadder, a little madder, someone get me a ladder" - and who says Greg Lake writes awful lyrics???

Edited by The.Crimson.King - April 04 2013 at 13:25
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 14:25
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Great One LOL     

I used to have a .sig that read:

"Every day a little sadder, a little madder, someone get me a ladder" - and who says Greg Lake writes awful lyrics???

Its shows a sense of humour at least that they embarked on the 'Someone Get Me A Ladder' tour following Brain Salad Surgery's release.

Lake has written some excellent lyrics. Trilogy (the album and track) from that perspective stands up well. BSS was more 'out there' and Still You Turn Me One is fine if taken in the context of the whole album 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 14:32
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Tormato is much better than  Love Beach. But disagree with Richard(as laways it seems) Palmer  continued to  be a top drummer.

By 'top drummer' I mean the very highest echelons. Palmer won loads of drumming awards in the seventies. In the eighties he turned himself into a proficient but  ordinary AOR drummer imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>