23 [47.92%]
25 [52.08%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 11:59
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

T O R   I By faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!   (Never got to understand what is there to like about Bjork)

If you can't hear the magic in these, then Bjork's not for you Wink

It also didn't hurt that she worked with some of the best electronic/dance producers in London (Nellee Hooper, Marius de Vries, Howie B, Matmos, Tricky, Goldie, Plaid, 808 State, LFO, Talvin Singh), or that her music videos were often directed by the greatest video directors of their generation, people like Michel Gondry, Chris Cunningham, Spike Jonze, Stéphane Sednaoui. All these people did among their best work with Bjork. [See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rk_discography#Music_videos]

Edited by jude111 - April 12 2014 at 12:09
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 13:01
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

This got me thinking how you can connect the two, degrees of separation.  Let's see. Tori Amos-Adrian Belew-Robert Fripp-Brian Eno-Fred Frith-Zeena Parkins-Bjork.  I got it in six. LOL

Strange Little Girls provides the key linkage.  Can anyone shorten it up?

They can be connected in a few other ways too. Tori Amos has covered Bjork's "Hyperballad" in concerts. Apparently, Q Magazine got Tori Amos, Bjork and PJ Harvey together in the same room for an interview in 1994. And they have spoken about each other in various interviews:

QUOTES >>

"Recently I met Bjork, and she's exactly how I picture my best friend of the future. She's so free and full of wild ideas and without pose or false pretenses. Also, she doesn't have this cramped rock and roll habit to wake all sorts of demons in herself. She sees creativity wider than that. A wonderful person. I don't see her as a musician, rather like the phenomenon Bjork. I had the same feeling with Evan Dando of the Lemonheads. In my songs I am open, but I am still fighting with all sorts of problems. Bjork and Evan seem to have passed that stage. Their work is pure life's joy and childish openness. I have thought a lot about that lately: why am I still in the cellar groveling between the rats, whereas Bjork and Evan are upstairs cooking? And it smells so darn good there... I still need my songs to cope with my double cursing of feelings of religious and sexual guilt. And I would like by now to peek in the kitchen upstairs."
-- Tori; Nieuwe Revu, Feb, 1994

"I'll tell you now that there has not been one woman from a band that's turned up at my gigs. Polly Harvey and Bjork are the only women I know in the music business. I know hundreds of men in bands. And not just because they wanna get with me. There just ain't that kind of supportiveness among women in rock."
-- Tori; New Musical Express, Dec 17, 1994

I: That was big news in Australia, because Bjork just arrived in Bangkok and obviously lost her cool with a young Thai reporter who greeted her with a welcome to Thailand, and actually got hit by Bjork as she arrived.
T: Well, I don't know about that. I mean, from what I understand...and Bjork is a good acquaintance, and a lovely, lovely, lovely lady. And I've known her for a while, and never seen her lose her patience. And her son was with her, and I think that you saw the mother lion come out protecting her cub. That's what I truly think happened from what I gather. I think people saw the mother come out as Bjork, and nobody's really seen that. You see the playful, young, quote-unquote "woman", but the mother is quite, ah, powerful, wonderful and protective. And I think any mother would protect her child the same way if she felt it was being harassed.
-- Tori; JJJ FM Radio (Australia), Feb 1996

"You get to know people through other musicians. I don't meet anyone. I only run into Bjork when we're in the airport for ten minutes. We have a giggle, a scream and a laugh and go our separate ways."
-- Tori; Deluxe Magazine, May 1998

"I talk to Polly more, probably because she lives in England. We don't see each other regularly, I wouldn't say we're friends exactly. But we all definitely give each other mutual support. We have similar jobs. Tori is mag-ical, euphoric and it's enjoyable to be around her. Polly has more of an earthy quality. She's so truthful and has so much integrity."
-- Bjork; Q Magazine, Oct 2000

"The trio thing [Q Magazine interview] was 1994. It was just a magical day. I really like those two. I had met Bjork before, 10 years ago. I have huge respect for her and for Polly. I haven't seen them in while, but messages get passed back and forth. We're always in a different part of the world. Once the camera was gone, we began to see what each other was about, and in a very brief amount of time we built up a huge amount of trust."
-- Tori; Q Magazine, Nov 2001

Nice to read those quotes, thanks for sharing!
My vote goes to Björk BTW.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 13:53
Although there are some Bjorktacular moments, I'd prefer Toricide. More consistent, less esoteric. Sometimes Bjork seems to prefer to be weird for weirdness' sake, and it sounds forced.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 19:56

Tori Amos

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 04:03
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

T O R   I By faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!   (Never got to understand what is there to like about Bjork)

If you can't hear the magic in these, then Bjork's not for you Wink
It also didn't hurt that she worked with some of the best electronic/dance producers in London (Nellee Hooper, Marius de Vries, Howie B, Matmos, Tricky, Goldie, Plaid, 808 State, LFO, Talvin Singh), or that her music videos were often directed by the greatest video directors of their generation, people like Michel Gondry, Chris Cunningham, Spike Jonze, Stéphane Sednaoui. All these people did among their best work with Bjork. [See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rk_discography#Music_videos]

no magic for me!
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 07:00
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Tori Amos by a mile for me. I just find her a lot more listenable. She's an incredible piano player.

THIS!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123