FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RIP thread
    Posted: December 14 2018 at 15:54
Nancy Wilson, 81.

Quinino View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 14:21
RIP Jutta Nienhaus from ANALOGY

Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 17:31
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

^ Along with the Damned and the Skids, Buzzcocks were my fave 'punk' band! Pete Shelley was a great writer of short, melodic, up tempo Pop-Punk songs with tight, choppy guitar very much in a 'Bill Nelson' and early Be-bop deluxe vein. RIP Pete.

I forgot to mention he was 63. I actually just picked up "singles going steady" today for 5 bucks on cd today at a local record store(along with the Beatles "let it be"(6 dollars)and Def Deppard's "high and dry"(also 5 dollars).  Anyway, I only have a few other punk(or punkish)cds in my collection(the others being one by Husker Du and two by Pere Ubu). So far I like the Buzzcocks' cd. Anyway, again RIP. 

I've heard of the Damned of course but not the Skids so I guess I'll have to look into them.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 08 2018 at 17:33
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 15:51
^ Along with the Damned and the Skids, Buzzcocks were my fave 'punk' band! Pete Shelley was a great writer of short, melodic, up tempo Pop-Punk songs with tight, choppy guitar very much in a 'Bill Nelson' and early Be-bop deluxe vein. RIP Pete.
'Arse, Feck, Drink. Girls..' Father Jack Hackett, Craggy Island.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 14:45
RIP Pete Shelly of the Buzzcocks (a couple of days ago). 
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 14:12
^ One of the great 'nice guys' of TV, up there with Bill Bixby and Michael Landon .

Edited by Atavachron - December 02 2018 at 14:13
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2018 at 08:48
Ken Berry, popular TV actor in the 1960s and ’70s who starred in “F-Troop,” “Mama’s Family” and “Mayberry R.F.D.,” died Saturday.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 15:45
Rest in peace Stephen Hillenburg :'( creator of Spongebob Squarepants
Quinino View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 04:51

Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 10:10
^ i was just gonna post that but you beat me to it. Sad day. The Residents were one of the MOST unique musical bands of all time. They will never be the same without Fox if they continue.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
historian9 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin / JRF Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote historian9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 02:00
Hardy Fox also known as Charles Bobuck, co-founder, composer and long time associate of The Residents and The Cryptic Corporation.

"It is with great sorrow and regrets that The Cryptic Corporation announces the passing of longtime friend and associate, Hardy Fox. As president of the corporation from 1982-2016, the company benefitted from Hardy’s instinct for leadership and direction, but his true value came from his longtime association with The Residents. As the group’s producer, engineer, as well as a co-creator and collaborator on much of their material, Fox’s influence on The Residents was indelible; despite any formal training, his musicality was nevertheless unique, highly refined and prolific. Blessed with a vital sense of aesthetics, a keen ear, and an exquisite love of the absurd, Hardy’s smiling face was a constant source of joy to those around him. He was loved immeasurably and will be missed dearly.

After a series of recent health problems, Hardy succumbed to a brief illness, He is survived by his husband, Steven Kloman. An announcement regarding memorial services will be forthcoming."

Edited by historian9 - October 31 2018 at 02:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 15:26
A few weeks back but gotta mention Chas Hodges 28 December 1943 – 22 September 2018 of Chas & Dave..
A real character, a really good piano player and his book 'Chas & his Rock n roll allotment' is a great read- he and Lemmy should have got together! Maybe they can now!

RIP Chas!
Image result for chas hodges
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 14:35
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

^^ We do like our British children's TV nostalgia, Cosmiclawnmower! My children liked Postman Pat, but I always looked upon it as a natural successor to that wonderful Camberwick/Trumpton/Chigley rural idyll of my childhood. However, personally I loved watching Rosie and Jim with my daughter even more - that Romany/Canal lifestyle was strangely alluring for a 9-5 man!

ClapEmbarrassedThumbs Up That pretty much sums it up for me!

The other tv programme my daughter loved was Bodger and Badger.. we saw them 'live' (she really wanted to be a puppeteer when she was about 7) on a number of occasions including at Glastonbury festival and Cropredy! Apparently Badger loved mashed potato(!!?!)ConfusedWacko
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:16
^^ We do like our British children's TV nostalgia, Cosmiclawnmower! My children liked Postman Pat, but I always looked upon it as a natural successor to that wonderful Camberwick/Trumpton/Chigley rural idyll of my childhood. However, personally I loved watching Rosie and Jim with my daughter even more - that Romany/Canal lifestyle was strangely alluring for a 9-5 man!
"...and the man in the mirror has sad eyes."
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 16:57
Rip to a person whom have brought many generations adventures with that jolly Postman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 13:02
RIP John Cunliffe, creator of Postman Pat and Rosie & Jim; at very least for the great joy his programmes brought my daughter growing up :)

Image result for John Cunliffe

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - October 06 2018 at 13:05
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 11:04
Motserrat Caballe (85) R.I.P. - a great Spanish diva

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 05:10
^Sorry to hear of this. In prog circles, Geoff Emerick had mixed the tapes for Triumvirat's Spartacus album in the spring of 1975. RIP.
If you have nothing, you have everything.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 04:07

Beatles recording engineer Geoff Emerick dies age 72. Emerick engineered the albums Revolver, Stg. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road.

Geoff Emerick, the audio engineer best known for his work with the Beatles, has died aged 72 following a heart attack.

Emerick began working as an assistant engineer for EMI Records in the early 1960s when he was 15 years old. In 1963, he first encountered the Beatles when he was a tape operator on an overdub session for Misery and Baby It’s You. Three years later, aged 20, Emerick was promoted to engineer on the first session for the band’s album Revolver. On the song Tomorrow Never Knows, John Lennon asked Emerick to make his voice sound like “the Dalai Lama singing on a mountain”, as Emerick told Variety last year.

Of the invitation to work with the group, Emerick told The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions author Mark Lewisohn: “That took me a little bit by surprise! In fact, it terrified me … The responsibility was enormous but I said yes, thinking that I’d accept the blows as they came.”

Giles Martin, son of the late Beatles producer George Martin, described Emerick as “one of finest and most innovative engineers to have graced a recording studio … We have all been touched by the sounds he helped create on the greatest music ever recorded.”

Midge Ure, whose band Ultravox worked with Emerick on their 1982 album Quartet, called him “a lovely, quiet, unassuming man who helped change the way music was produced”.

Emerick also worked on Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and The Beatles (AKA The White Album). He briefly quit working with the group during the White Album sessions due to his unhappiness with the tense studio atmosphere. “The expletives were really flying,” he told Lewisohn. However, Emerick would mix songs on the Yellow Submarine album and returned full-time – at Paul McCartney’s request – to work on Abbey Road.

Emerick later worked on various McCartney solo albums, including Band on the Run, for which he won a Grammy. Emerick also worked with Kate Bush, Elvis Costello, Art Garfunkel, Split Enz and Judy Garland.

In 2006, Emerick published a memoir titled Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles. “What might have been a dry accounting for gear heads pulses with ‘Damn, I didn’t know that!’ narrative glee,” wrote Rolling Stone. However, fans criticised Emerick for dismissing George Harrison and Ringo Starr’s contributions to the band, calling Rubber Soul “not especially noteworthy” and the White album “virtually unlistenable”.

Abbey Road Studios MD Isabel Garvey described Emerick as “a true pioneer of the recording industry”. “His contribution to some of the world’s greatest musical recordings and his impact on popular music and audio technology is immeasurable.”

The British duo Field Music paid tribute to Emerick’s development of the studio as an instrument. “As much as anyone, Geoff Emerick ushered in a new era of recording, where the studio was a tool to be used and abused, as long as it led to making something new. If all he’d ever done was record Revolver, Sgt Pepper’s and Abbey Road, he’d still be one of the very greatest recording engineers there has ever been.”

Edited by SteveG - October 03 2018 at 04:16
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 01:47
RIP Chahnour Aznavourian aka Charles Aznavour.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
  Share Topic