The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 118>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 06:49
Larry King died at age 87 from COVID.  A lot of ex-wives just lost their source of income I think.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 18:52
For some reason I thought Aaron was long gone.  I remember watching #715 live.
I heard today that he never got more than 47 HR in a season.  Now 47 is sure a lot especially during the dead ball era but think about his longevity as a power hitter just based on the math.  RIP Hank
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 16:07
That is sad.  We lost Mr. Tiger, Al Kaline, at about this time last year.  With Koufax, Lasorda, Sutton and Aaron amongst others dying in recent times, we are losing many sports legends.  I never say Aaron play, but definitely appreciate baseball history.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 15:12
I remember watching him hit #715 against my LA Dodgers, my dad and I watched that game, that was awesome! And he is still the Home Run King at 755 HRs despite Barry Bonds and his needles and pills aided HRs.

RIP Hammerin Hank Aaron, you will always be one of my all-time baseball hero's.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 11:30
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

R.I.P Hank Aaron, 86- Major League Baseball(non-steroid) Home Run King. One of my favorite all-time athletes.
Oh no, say it ain't so! RIP Hank. One of the GOAT.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 11:19
R.I.P Hank Aaron, 86- Major League Baseball(non-steroid) Home Run King. One of my favorite all-time athletes.

Edited by Tapfret - January 22 2021 at 11:20
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:23
My apologies if I strayed off topic a bit, it was perhaps wrong of me, although it does seem to have contributed to his tragic death.  I do remember him as being knowledgeable and a fine contributor, it is sad to have someone so obviously intelligent gone so young.  May he indeed rest in peace.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:23
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

This seems to be straying into the American politics thread.
Maybe the better place for this discussion.

I agree. Although these issues are likely not exclusive to the U.S., as Shadow's example would indicate. The topic is a worthy one, but not for the RIP thread.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Trying very hard not to make any comments about US society, because I don't want to offend anyone. I'll just say that following Brian's ordeal on FB was often very hard. Though many regard addiction as a moral failing, there is increasing evidence that it is no less a form of mental illness than depression or bipolar disorder. From what I understood, Brian also suffered from epilepsy, and his overall health was not the best, even without taking his alcohol problem into account. The merciless way he was treated in the places where he tried to find shelter, or even just a place where he could sit with his laptop, was totally heartbreaking. And then there were the times when he posted photos of him and his wife in happier timesCry. As I said, even though he may have been some responsibility in what befell him (and there is a lot I don't know), I firmly believe no one deserves what happened to him.

Nobody at all deserves what happened to him. Nobody at all. It is a symptom of a society which desperately requires uplift and compassion.
Agreed. Make no mistake, we have our own issues up here as well.

https://canoe.com/news/local-news/homeless-mans-death-near-shelter-during-curfew-spurs-call-for-resources/wcm/0f440673-c24f-4bf3-8edb-af254b886f79

Edited by JD - January 18 2021 at 16:15
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 14:59
This seems to be straying into the American politics thread.
Maybe the better place for this discussion.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

You can tell how many people have no idea what is in the Constitution based on cultists saying Trump's 1st Amendment rights are being violated because the twit can't tweet. That's not first amendment, that's a corporation with a T.O.S.

Hover text: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 14:04
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Sadly, the US does not have a lot of help for people in Brian's situation, we can thank the "saintly" (can you hear my sarcasm) Ronald Reagan in large part for that trend.  We really need some serious reform in my country.
I agree;  our country has some serious issues to say the least. A similar thing happened to one of my friends who moved to Denver and fell on hard times...he was lucky to get Social Secirity disability or I shudder to think what would have happened to him.
This is a problem all over with humanity ....and J Krishnamurti once said (paraphrasing), ' Things will not change for the better on earth until there is a fundamental change in the very nature of human consciousness.'
And sadly in the US human consciousness is currently at an all time low.
Unhappy
   Cry   Our forefathers certainly believed in the commonweal, it's right there in the Preamble to The Constitution.  

Silly Nickie. You assume people know how to f*cking read. They cherry pick either the 1st or 2nd Amendment rights that someone else gave them in a meme, and then parrot it back. You can tell how many people have no idea what is in the Constitution based on cultists saying Trump's 1st Amendment rights are being violated because the twit can't tweet. That's not first amendment, that's a corporation with a T.O.S.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 13:55

I firmly believe no one deserves what happened to him.

American culture is good at giving inspiration to the rest of the world, in a good way or a bad way. They do something, and the youth in my country are inspired by it or mimic it (the latter is the bad choice).

This man (see the image below) has recently frozen to death in İstanbul. He was homeless. 

So sad... But the worse is, most of such people literally don't want to be helped.

The solution is therefore very difficult. And the only possible solution I can think of is an all-encompassing service that would provide the essentials to survive for everyone. Actually, this should encompass stray animals too. Otherwise, if it is like a "help" more than a "right"; some people would never accept the "hand" (metaphorically) that try to reach out to them. It shouldn't be a matter of dignity. NEVER. It just should be a right, and a normal situation to be provided with the essentials to survive. You know? We see a bald person, and see it as normal. We should see the "fallen" likewisely... Only then, they can have the motivation to stand up again.

I think Scandinavian culture is a good model, but their population is one of their advantages.

Sorry to sound ominous, but if the overpopulation problem cannot be solved, things will seemingly go worse, and worse, and worse...

Reformations? Sure, why not?.. The USA seems to need them. And the rest will likely follow them.

But, after/if we reach a population above 10 billions or so; I don't see a bright future for the ensuing generations.

I hope a prospective armageddon will not be our end. As, population growth could lead nowhere else, if not stopped or turned backwards... or if we can't find/create other planets for some of us (our descendants, most presumably) to go and live in.

558665-Image1
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 13:30

Trying very hard not to make any comments about US society, because I don't want to offend anyone. I'll just say that following Brian's ordeal on FB was often very hard. Though many regard addiction as a moral failing, there is increasing evidence that it is no less a form of mental illness than depression or bipolar disorder. From what I understood, Brian also suffered from epilepsy, and his overall health was not the best, even without taking his alcohol problem into account. The merciless way he was treated in the places where he tried to find shelter, or even just a place where he could sit with his laptop, was totally heartbreaking. And then there were the times when he posted photos of him and his wife in happier timesCry. As I said, even though he may have been some responsibility in what befell him (and there is a lot I don't know), I firmly believe no one deserves what happened to him.

Nobody at all deserves what happened to him. Nobody at all. It is a symptom of a society which desperately requires uplift and compassion.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 13:06

I absolutely agree, Raff.  The reasons for addiction are many and complex and we used to have a better support system in place for those who fell on hard times.  Imagine how much better it could be by now, with the continued and more in-depth knowledge that we have. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:51
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Phil Spector RIP.
I never liked him.
Neither did I, but all recording engineers, record producers and artists like Brian Wilson owed him an incalculable debt.
No--   Specter owes them an incalculable debt for letting him produce their music, and in some cases ruin it.
I'm surprised that a Brian Wilson fan would not know that he was primarily influenced by Spector's production technics and went as far hiring Spector's Wrecking Crew and Spector's main studio Gold Star Studios to record both Good Vibrations and the entire Pet Sounds album. That Wilson was infatuated with Spector's talent is a well known fact by often saying that the Spector produced single by The Ronetts "Be My Baby" was the greatest record ever recorded. Sometimes you have give credit where credit is due David.

Of course it's well known, but that doesn't mean 'Be My Baby' was the greatest record ever.   At the time Spector was doing something new and engaging, but quite frankly I never cared for that sound and don't find the projects he worked on to be appealing.   And ironically Let it Be, which was a triumph, sounded nothing like a Spector production.

I wager the Wilson Bros. would've been just fine without Spector's creepy, manic presence in their music and their lives.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:31
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Sadly, the US does not have a lot of help for people in Brian's situation, we can thank the "saintly" (can you hear my sarcasm) Ronald Reagan in large part for that trend.  We really need some serious reform in my country.
I agree;  our country has some serious issues to say the least. A similar thing happened to one of my friends who moved to Denver and fell on hard times...he was lucky to get Social Secirity disability or I shudder to think what would have happened to him.
This is a problem all over with humanity ....and J Krishnamurti once said (paraphrasing), ' Things will not change for the better on earth until there is a fundamental change in the very nature of human consciousness.'
Unhappy
   Cry   Our forefathers certainly believed in the commonweal, it's right there in the Preamble to The Constitution.  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:06

Unhappy

Edited by dr wu23 - January 18 2021 at 12:08
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 11:53
This really is a problem with our tax structure, it does need some serious reforms, with large corporations and the mega-rich paying their fair share.  We have no safety nets (outside of prison, as Steve G pointed out, which is a terrible option for mentally ill and addicted people, especially) for those who really do need help. Ridiculously outpriced rentals and home prices are putting more people out on the street, especially with the pandemic.  it's just shameful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 118>