Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow's the new Spock's Beard album?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How's the new Spock's Beard album?
    Posted: April 17 2013 at 08:09
I see that it's out, and I haven't gone to youtube yet and listened to any of it, if anything has been posted on yt.

I'm not really a big Spock's Beard fan...I saw SB open for Dream Theater once, I bought the 'V' album....decent album, if a bit too 'pop'-prog for my tastes so I never checked anything else out. I'm a huge Enchant fan, and love Ted Leonard's voice. 

Anyways, I generally prefer my prog to be melodic metal style prog, or at least prog that's a bit heavy on the guitars if it's not metal. So would I enjoy the new SB album, or is it more 'pop'-prog?

And mods, if there's a thread on this album already, please delete. I did a search, didn't see anything...
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 08:29
I think it's definitely a grower.  Some excellent material on that album, my favorites are I Know your Secret, Afterthoughts (which may very well be the best song the band wrote this side of V), Something Very Strange, Waiting For Me and Wish I Were Here (bonus disc).  Ted Leonard (new singer) is a marvelous addition to an already excellent band, Jimmy Keegan is more than a suitable replacement for NDV (he was, after all, NDV's live drumming substitute). 

This album is up there with the best of the Beard, in my humble opinion. Some new elements, some trademark elements... everything to keep this prog fan (and Beard fan) happy ! Clap
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 18:38
It's easily one of their more poppy albums (Submerged could be a radio hit). They have the mandatory counterpoint/Gentle Giant thing in Afterthoughts, and Waiting For Me is probably my favorite (Neal Morse influence). The rest aren't terrible, but are rather forgettable in my opinion. But it is heavier than much of the NM era Beard so you might like that.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 21:24
I agree that this album is a grower, but I find it a bit overrated. I don't think it deserves all of the 5 star ratings it's been getting. I personally loved the Nick era, and was very sad to see him go, and am also sad to see that many people seem to have a good riddance attitude about his departure. Nick was my favorite song writer throughout the years of his fronting of the band and I quite miss his influence.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:30
I think my last SB's purchase was Feel Euphoria. Is it heavier or lighter than that?
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 02:27
A solid 4 stars for me. Some pop influences for sure, but the sound is closer to classic Beard than in NDV era. Something Very Strange and Hiding Out are terrific songs. It was sad to see Nick go, as X is among my top 3 Beard albums (and I'm a total fan of the old ones), but it's good to see they didn't have the same kind of "downfall" as with Feel Euphoria and Octane (both are good, but imo just nothing compared to the absolute greatness of Snow and V). Ted is a fine vocalist, but I doubt if he has the same huge stage presence as Nick or Neal (at least from what can be witnessed in the dvd's). Anyway, long live the beard! Cool
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 03:19
I quite miss Nick's drumming.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cthulhu42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:51
I really liked the album, but it's not really all that different from most of SB's output, so if most of that didn't appeal to you much, this one likely won't either.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:17
It's more pop-prog than metal, but I really like it.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:40
This is a good question since I've been away for a bit. But yeah? No Neal Moorse, so how is the New spock's Beard album? Guess I better find out, but I know it's not gonna be as good as beware of the darkness or Snow. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 14:35
I loved it from day one, and every listen it still draws me in.  Love it greatly.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 07:56
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

This is a good question since I've been away for a bit. But yeah? No Neal Moorse, so how is the New spock's Beard album? Guess I better find out, but I know it's not gonna be as good as beware of the darkness or Snow. :)
Neal Morse left years ago, but he did have a hand in writing some of the songs on the new CD.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 09:09
It doesn't really feel like a Spock's Beard album to me.  I am only listening to it for the second time though.  I think that it will be a grower.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Neal Morse left years ago, but he did have a hand in writing some of the songs on the new CD.

Yup. I know that. Neal has been away for quite a while, but I just wanted to make the point that the 2 albums I listed are big forerunners in the SPOCK's career. It will be tough to top. Nice to hear though that mr. Moorse is still invved in one way or another. Nice to know and I did not know that, so thank you kind sir.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
BlackenedGass View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 13:56
First Spock's Beard album I've been able to find in the shops - good album! As noted above, Afterthoughts has a real Gentle Giant vibe to it. While the band may not be quite as good as when Neal Morse was in the band they are definitely improving.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 22:24
I like it more than the Neal Morse SB.  Except for the parts that sound like Neal Morse.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 18:57
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I quite miss Nick's drumming.

The drumming is actually quite good and you get to hear Nick these days playing with Big Big Train, so you have the best of both worlds.
 Post Reply Post Reply