Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQUEEN on progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 01:09
I think bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple should be added to the archives before Queen! If bands like Queen are allowed into the archives, then it stretches the limits of true prog... there are tons of bands who write very creatively and wander into prog territory, but that doesn't mean they're a prog band!
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me. And do I take you by the hand and lead you through the land and help me understand the best I can
Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:05

Originally posted by SirPsycho388 SirPsycho388 wrote:

I think bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple should be added to the archives before Queen! If bands like Queen are allowed into the archives, then it stretches the limits of true prog... there are tons of bands who write very creatively and wander into prog territory, but that doesn't mean they're a prog band!

Of course not sir...because prog bands do not exist....hahaha, I'd love to go into my theory deeper, but it's late and I must get to bed......

But I will say this...what in the world is prog???..........I ask this simple question because, many of you act as if prog rock is a pure art form, and it is most certainly not...prog rock is a mixture of already pre-existing forms ie, classical, jazz, and of course rock.....also prog extends into many other genres as well....what is "TRUE PROG".......see this is why I HATE labeling and categorization, because it's unproductive......and I will not say that Queen in more prog than Led Zeppelin (although I BELIEVE THEM TO BE)....saying a statement like that gets us no where.

.....by the way Led Zeppelin never wrote a Bohemian Rhapsody!!!!..........( I love Led Zeppelin, so please save your hate responses for someone else)

oh one more thing.....I keep seeing this phrase all over the place.." If bands like Queen are allowed............"....what in the world does that mean??.......what is a band like Queen?..you guys act as if we just added the backstreet boys. Anyone with common sense would be delighted to welcome Queen...they are a PHENOMENAL BAND.....PERIOD!

Shane Wallace View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:20
congrats
To Seek the Sacred River Alph
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:34

Originally posted by SirPsycho388 SirPsycho388 wrote:

True,but its falling on deaf ears here.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:46
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

QUEEN @ PROGRESSOR, GROUND N SKY, PROGNOSIS, GERP and now in PROGARCHIVES

Queen (UK) - 1975 - "A Night at the Opera" ****+

Doubtless, "A Night at the Opera" by the legendary Queen is one of the greatest Progressive Hard Rock albums ever created in the history of Rock. More than the half of the songs contain real Progressive arrangements, and two of these songs I can call as full progressive compositions (incidentally, most prog-heads know it well, and I hope, will agree with my opinion). The both gem-pieces were placed on the LP's side B - the first and the pre-last. The Prophet's Song and A Bohemian's Rhapsody are unique proto-prog-metallic pieces based on high energy complex hard rock with lots of shifts, very good lyrics, and great varied polymorphic opera-like vocal harmonies.

Source: http://www.progressor.net/review/q.html#queen_1975

PROGRESSOR is for me ,  one the TOP prog reviewer in the
small (and opened-mind ) PROG community.

The main difference between the two "fractions" seems to be the question if "proto-prog" deserves to be called progressive:

• Some (including me and that review) say that although it's lacking some prog elements and is therefore called "proto-prog", it still IS progressive.
  • The others (including maani) say that the elements that this music lacks are so vital to prog, that it may not be called prog, although it features many other elements found in progressive music.

Yurkspb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:57

Adding Queen to Progarchives surely extends the limits of this site. But should it be so? Progarchives are about progressive rock, not rock music in general. In my opinion, this site benefits from this - it makes it unique.

Many of non-prog groups have written some amount of music that can be called progressive or at least semi-progressive. As it was said many times in this thread, I guess if PA should develop by including such groups they should be placed in a separate category, Queen among them.

M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 07:07

Originally posted by CrazyDiamond CrazyDiamond wrote:

Also mocking my nick is unjust and hurtful, don't you think? I was only explaining my ideas, there was no need to mock me, please read the whole post before asking strange questions, mate.

Dear Crazy Diamond: I'm back after a few days, and I'm amazed. Let me explain one thing: I DID HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTIONS OF MOCK YOUR NICKNAME! When I said "Keep on shining, Crazy Diamond", my intention was only to ask for your contribution. Please forgive me. BTW, I know that my English is not good, but I do also like to express my opinions.

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 08:46
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

QUEEN @ PROGRESSOR, GROUND N SKY, PROGNOSIS, GERP and now in PROGARCHIVES

Queen (UK) - 1975 - "A Night at the Opera" ****+

Doubtless, "A Night at the Opera" by the legendary Queen is one of the greatest Progressive Hard Rock albums ever created in the history of Rock. More than the half of the songs contain real Progressive arrangements, and two of these songs I can call as full progressive compositions (incidentally, most prog-heads know it well, and I hope, will agree with my opinion). The both gem-pieces were placed on the LP's side B - the first and the pre-last. The Prophet's Song and A Bohemian's Rhapsody are unique proto-prog-metallic pieces based on high energy complex hard rock with lots of shifts, very good lyrics, and great varied polymorphic opera-like vocal harmonies.

Source: http://www.progressor.net/review/q.html#queen_1975

PROGRESSOR is for me ,  one the TOP prog reviewer in the
small (and opened-mind ) PROG community.

The main difference between the two "fractions" seems to be the question if "proto-prog" deserves to be called progressive:

• Some (including me and that review) say that although it's lacking some prog elements and is therefore called "proto-prog", it still IS progressive.
  • The others (including maani) say that the elements that this music lacks are so vital to prog, that it may not be called prog, although it features many other elements found in progressive music.

Putting aside the question itself of whether QUEEN's music is, or is not, Progressive Rock, the term proto-Prog would not be the right term to use even if one is of the opinion that their music is Progressive Rock. As I mentioned to Trouserpress, the prefix proto- would imply that QUEEN's music was around at the beginning of the Progressive Rock era, which it most certainly was not (their first album came out in 1973, after many of the seminal albums from Progressive Rock bands). QUEEN's music is most certainly not proto-PROG. One could perhaps use the term proto-Prog to describe e.g. WISHBONE ASH's early music, or URIAH HEEP's early music, but not QUEEN's music.

proto-

prefix

1. first in time, earliest
  • protolithic
  • protomartyr
  • 2. original, ancestral
  • protostar
  • Proto-Norse
  • 3. first in a series, having the least amount of a particular element or radical
  • protactinium
  • [From Greek prōtos ; ultimately related to pro (see pro2)]

If one wanted to come up with a term for bands that play music that has an almost-Progressive Rock sound, then a better term would be 'quasi-Prog' or 'pseudo-Prog':

quasi [kwáy zī, kwáy sī, kwzi]

adj pseudo

almost but not quite: resembling somebody or something in some ways, but not exactly the same

adv

so to speak: so to speak (archaic) ‘under this roof, which is quasi mine’Sir Walter ScottWaverley1814

[15th century. Via Old French from Latin , ‘as if’, from quam ‘as’ + si ‘if’.]

pseudo-

prefix

1. similar
  • pseudobulb
  • 2. false, spurious
  • pseudoscience
  • [From Greek pseudēs , from pseudein ‘to lie’, of unknown origin]

Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 09:10

I agree, I just picked up the word from the review. How about one category "Proto-Prog/Influenced-Prog" for bands that played early forms  (prototypes) of prog like early 60s psychedelic bands and/or influenced prog like the Beatles or Miles Davis, and another category "Progressive-Pop/Pseudo-Prog" for bands like Queen/Zeppelin/Sabbath ?

maani View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 09:19

proglover:

In trying to make the case for Queen but against Zep, you say, "Led Zeppelin never wrote a Bohemian Rhapsody."  Yes, but by the same logic, I could argue that Queen never wrote a 21st Century Schizoid Man, a Close to the Edge, a Watcher of the Skies, a Thick as a Brick, or even a Metropolis, etc.

Peace.

Yurkspb View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 09:19

I agree, I just picked up the word from the review. How about one category "Proto-Prog/Influenced-Prog" for bands that played early forms  (prototypes) of prog like early 60s psychedelic bands and/or influenced prog like the Beatles or Miles Davis, and another category "Progressive-Pop/Pseudo-Prog" for bands like Queen/Zeppelin/Sabbath ?

I agree, but we should select the right name for the category - Queen would be very surprised to find out they played Pseudo-Prog  .

spectral View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 09:26
    queen just aren't prog though.
    "...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
    Proglover View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 09:32

Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

queen just aren't prog though.

Yeah I think thats the problem...Queen crosses so many categories

Proglover View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 09:43
    Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

proglover:

In trying to make the case for Queen but against Zep, you say, "Led Zeppelin never wrote a Bohemian Rhapsody."  Yes, but by the same logic, I could argue that Queen never wrote a 21st Century Schizoid Man, a Close to the Edge, a Watcher of the Skies, a Thick as a Brick, or even a Metropolis, etc.

Peace.

True...very very true.....My statement about Led Zeppelin never writing a Bohemian Rhapsody was in reference to a member saying that Zeppelin should be on the site BEFORE Queen.....In my humble opinion, I believe that Queen is more prog than Zeppelin....I was also making reference to the text book structure of Bohemian Rhapsody......but once again, what is TRUE prog? ......I don't think anyone could give a definitive answer.

Most of the songs that you mentioned are 20 plus minute epics....and TRUE Queen never wrote a 20 minute epic, but then again that wasn't what they were about......then again Gentle Giant never wrote a 20 minute epic either....but the one thing that many Queen songs have in common with those 20 minute epics, is that both pushed the limits of ordinary rock music....and ladies and gentlemen, once again, I beg and plead....Queen is certainly not an ordinary rock band.

Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 09:53

Mike, personally I would prefer the term 'Prog precursor' or 'Prog-influenced' to the term 'Influenced-Prog' (purely on English semantic and grammatical grounds ).

The second category is perhaps a little more problematic to name, as LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH are not 'progressive pop' by a long shot and I wonder if some would object to them being put into the same basket as progressive/imaginative pop groups such as 10CC. Just to be awkward (well, to try and be constructructive, actually) I personally would prefer the term 'progressive pop' (or Tony Banks' term 'imaginative pop' which I have fixed on because I find it quite evocative) to be reserved for the more commerical-sounding bands such as QUEEN, 10CC, ELO and SUPERTRAMP, to name a few. I would rather put LED ZEP and BLACK SABBATH into a different basket to 10CC. That's my preference, even if it appears to make the issue more complex. I suppose what  I'm saying is that there ought really to be three categories (++ ducks as the buns start flying over ++). However, if people prefer to keep it down to two categories, then how about 'Progressive pop or pseudo-Prog' (Jeez, I'm discussing the impact of a slash on the sensibilities of fans! ). Do you follow my reasoning and does it sound reasonable?

Edited by Fitzcarraldo
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 10:08

Just an addendum to my previous post: in another thread someone has mentioned that the prefix 'pseudo-' may be taken by some to mean 'fake' rather than 'similar to', and he would prefer the prefix 'quasi-'. Although the intention of 'pseudo-' here is not to mean 'fake', I take the point and therefore suggest 'Progressive pop or quasi-Prog' as the title of the second category (if people don't want to have 'Progressive pop' as a separate, third category, that is).

Sean Trane View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 10:24

OK , here my two cents's worth! (BTW, I did not read the first 9 pages)

I believe it was better to leave Queen out as well as it was better to leave Roxy Music out . Now , we cannot escape 10 CC inclusion can we?  Those three  groups made clever , excellent pop rock tunes sometimes crossing over prog , jazz , blues and just abour every conceivable genre possible as a pop band should (Beatles being the best example) . No , not really prog , influenced by it? Tell me which early 70's British band never made a bit of prog in their albums? It was the era that made it so.

True ! Zep have never made Bohemian Rhapsody , but Queen never wrote No Quarter either.

Purple and Sabbath as well as Zep and Wishbone Ash would also deserve an entry simply on the ground that Uriah Heep has it?

Come on guys , this is without end. Ultimately it is M@X and Ron who decide and let's stop this endless disputes. Review it if you wish and if you cannot stand Queen in the PA , just do not click on their page.

Where the real debate is when some people put forth early 80's pop/new wave groups on the line. SM , XTC, etc....

Oooooooooops , sorry!  That was ten cent's worth!

let's just stay above the moral melee
    prefer the sink to the gutter
    keep our sand-castle virtues
    content to be a doer
    as well as a thinker,
    prefer lifting our pen
    rather than un-sheath our sword
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 20:55
    Originally posted by Fitzcarraldo Fitzcarraldo wrote:

Mike, personally I would prefer the term 'Prog precursor' or 'Prog-influenced' to the term 'Influenced-Prog' (purely on English semantic and grammatical grounds ).

The second category is perhaps a little more problematic to name, as LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH are not 'progressive pop' by a long shot and I wonder if some would object to them being put into the same basket as progressive/imaginative pop groups such as 10CC. Just to be awkward (well, to try and be constructructive, actually) I personally would prefer the term 'progressive pop' (or Tony Banks' term 'imaginative pop' which I have fixed on because I find it quite evocative) to be reserved for the more commerical-sounding bands such as QUEEN, 10CC, ELO and SUPERTRAMP, to name a few. I would rather put LED ZEP and BLACK SABBATH into a different basket to 10CC. That's my preference, even if it appears to make the issue more complex. I suppose what  I'm saying is that there ought really to be three categories (++ ducks as the buns start flying over ++). However, if people prefer to keep it down to two categories, then how about 'Progressive pop or pseudo-Prog' (Jeez, I'm discussing the impact of a slash on the sensibilities of fans! ). Do you follow my reasoning and does it sound reasonable?

By "Influenced-Prog" I didn't mean the same as "Proto-Prog", but rather "Bands-Which-Influenced-Prog". Maybe you know a shorter phrase that fits? These two "genres" are not necessarily connected musically, but they're both in the same timeframe (60's).

Your reasoning sounds reasonable ... I'll do what M@x suggested and create a poll listing the various genres.

BTW: of course I would separate the genres - I only grouped the similar genres like it is done in the top 100 list and similar pages. Here's how I would separate them - I'd appreciate any suggestions for better suited names:

• Proto Prog/Prog Precursers
      The Nice, 60's psychedelic bands
    • Bands-that-influenced-prog
      The Beatles, Miles Davis
    • Progressive/Imaginative-Pop
      Queen, 10cc
    • Pseudo-Prog/Quasi-Prog/Prog-Influenced
      Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple/Black Sabbath
    NetsNJFan View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 20:57

Originally posted by Fitzcarraldo Fitzcarraldo wrote:

By "Influenced-Prog" I didn't mean the same as "Proto-Prog", but rather "Bands-Which-Influenced-Prog". Maybe you know a shorter phrase that fits? These two "genres" are not necessarily connected musically, but they're both in the same timeframe (60's).

Your reasoning sounds reasonable ... I'll do what M@x suggested and create a poll listing the various genres.

BTW: of course I would separate the genres - I only grouped the similar genres like it is done in the top 100 list and similar pages. Here's how I would separate them - I'd appreciate any suggestions for better suited names:

The Beatles, Miles Davis
      Queen, 10cc

dude the NICE are pure prog, not proto-prog
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 21:22

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

The Beatles, Miles Davis
      Queen, 10cc

dude the NICE are pure prog, not proto-prog

Ok, then which bands would you call proto-prog? I'm not an expert on early prog, I'm just collecting pieces from different posts here ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>