Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013, the rebirth of Neoprog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 01:35
Don't we have a new Shadowland album from Clive Nolan due sometime soon? I just picked up their debut `Ring of Roses' the other day, and it's a terrific blend of 80's new wave/new romantic styled pop in proper Neo Prog style. Those same kind of darkly romantic/over dramatic lyrics like Fish, only the vocals aren't angry like his .

With so many of the founding bands of this sub-genre having more or less moved on from that style, I actually really hope this one will be purely, proud Neo-Prog!
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Don't we have a new Shadowland album from Clive Nolan due sometime soon? I just picked up their debut `Ring of Roses' the other day, and it's a terrific blend of 80's new wave/new romantic styled pop in proper Neo Prog style.
this IS Neo-Prog, bro, and "Ring of Roses" is one the genre's definitive albums

Btw, just checked COMEDY OF ERRORS new album...these guys literally don't give a prog! They're sounding like it's 1983 and they're the new biggest thing next to MARILLION! Amazing, my top-10 record for 2013's Prog for sure
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:00
Prog-Jester, I was shocked when I first heard that Shadowland album! I thought `Wow, that singer has got a really strong, confident and unique delivery....' and then I looked in the booklet to discover it was actually Clive Nolan singing! I knew the band was his baby, and of course he playing the keyboards as well as writing it, but I had no idea he sung!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:04
to me SHADOWLAND is way more important band emotionally than both PENDRAGON and ARENA. "Hall of Mirrors" is one of the best epics in neo-Prog ever written, and "Jigsaw" stands on a par with TWELFTH NIGHT's "Love Song" and MARILLION's "Chelsea Monday" and "She Chameleon"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:05
also check their next two albums, "Through the Looking Glass" is like a sequel to "Ring of Roses", and "Mad As A Hatter" got a bit prog-metallic edge, but still very enjoyable
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Guess some of us are in agreement with IQ being at the top of the Totem poll of Neo Prog. I've been looking at the history and I think that they are the most consistant with the genre itself and their music seems to be unmatched. Marillion's Fish years were excellent as well, but that lasted only 4 albums and I think the fab 4 (misplaced Childhood, Script, fugazi, clutching at straws) don't match up against IQ's finest 4, which in my opinion are THE WAKE, Subterranea, The Seventh House and Ever.) I'm just looking at it from a consistency stand point. IQ really have 7 studio gem albums. That's more than any other Neo band I can think of. :)

As much as I am an IQ fan I wouldn't play down Marillion or their post Fish output. I love Seasons End and have been a fan of Hogarth for a long time. His recent album with Richard Barbieri is very beautifull imo.
I also believe Seasons End was vital to the evolution of neo prog as a genre. That was released in 1989 a full 3 years before IQ's Ever and I'm sure IQ gained some ideas from what Marillion were doing. In fact I would go as far to say that Marillion have pushed neo further forward than IQ although purely on listening and taste I tend to gravitate more towards IQ.

Interesting, but would you say that Marillion are still modernized symPhonic prog today? I don't think so. Releases like Marbels, Brave and their most recent Sounds that can't made don't sound like Neo prog to me. Marillion sound like a really good progressive rock band to me, which is why IQ get the node for best Neo prog band be ause they have really remained true to the genre itself in their entire 30 year career....well 28 to be exact. :)

I don't believe the genre is just an extension of Symph prog. It incorporated elements of pop,psyche and even punk as well when it rose from the ashes of seventies based prog. Atmosphere and emotion were vital elements and Marillion have carried on that 'tradition' extremely well. IQ are.. well just IQ. They do being IQ better than anyone elseWink

Ok ok. Yes. I would add a few mixes of sound other than just saying Neo prog is modernized symphonic rock. I'd say ambience is a HUGE part of Neo's unique, quality genre. Ambience exists largely in Marillion's sound and I do love that, but can I just say that Galahad are really something special and the album Empires Never Last was a shinning example of perfect Neo prog with a heavier richness to it. Perfect!! It's everything we love about the genre. Ok....I'm putting that album on right now. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:15
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

to me SHADOWLAND is way more important band emotionally than both PENDRAGON and ARENA. "Hall of Mirrors" is one of the best epics in neo-Prog ever written, and "Jigsaw" stands on a par with TWELFTH NIGHT's "Love Song" and MARILLION's "Chelsea Monday" and "She Chameleon"

Shadowland more important than Arena? Let's not get too carried away.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:17
Comedy of Errors is the next Neo adventure for me. Hearing great things. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:19
I much prefer Arena to Shadowland, too, Nick!

I definately don't dismss Shadowland at all, and will grab their new album when it shows up!

Tell me, Nick, did you enjoy the last Arena album `The Seventh Degree Of Seperation'?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:31

I much prefer Arena to Shadowland, too, Nick!

I definately don't dismss Shadowland at all, and will grab their new album when it shows up!

Tell me, Nick, did you enjoy the last Arena album `The Seventh Degree Of Seperation'?

Very different. I feel it's their most commercial sounding release, but the 'prog' factor was not diminished to the point where it was non existent. Paul Manzi is quite a strong vocalist and I really fell in love with the opening track 'the great escape.' it was powerful and to the point. I got huge respect for the way Manzi sings on that one. Overall, I'd give the album a solid 7 out of ten. It grew on me, but I'd like Arena to get back to what they are best at and that is heavy Neo Prog. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:36
I was so disappointed when I first bought it. I thought `Where's the prog?!' lol! But after lots of listens, you see how carefully arraged and put together it is, with a good flow, very melodic and tightly performed. The sheer strenth of the material got it through.

I too hope the next release from them has them back to longer, extended pieces, though, that they keep the Neo-prog flag flying!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:44

I was so disappointed when I first bought it. I thought `Where's the prog?!' lol! But after lots of listens, you see how carefully arraged and put together it is, with a good flow, very melodic and tightly performed. The sheer strenth of the material got it through.

I too hope the next release from them has them back to longer, extended pieces, though, that they keep the Neo-prog flag flying!

As I said. It was a very different listen, but I knew my ears were quite happy. I could hear the nicely crafted song arrangements in the album overall. It's quality, but we need more MOVIEDROME! Now that's Arena in perfect light!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:49
Yep, I think a combincation of the line-up of the current version of the band and the epic tracks of old will provide great results!

Have to say, the third track `One Last Au-Revoir' has a totally killer chorus, with a nice typical/classic Neo solo in the middle!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 04:06

Yep, I think a combincation of the line-up of the current version of the band and the epic tracks of old will provide great results!

Have to say, the third track `One Last Au-Revoir' has a totally killer chorus, with a nice typical/classic Neo solo in the middle!

Gotta go with Mitchell's wicked guitar solo on Catching the Bullet. You just know its coming!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 17:45
Meh. Honestly not that stoked about it anymore. But that's really just because my favorite Neo bands (Arena, Marillion, Pendragon, and Pallas) all have released mediocre albums recently. Maybe there are good smaller bands but I'm not into discovering new stuff anymore. At this point I still have hope they'll release a great new album (except Marillion is kinda puttering out more than anyone) and I think IQ and Pallas have new albums coming out late this year or early next.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 17:53
That's a shame, Stonebeard! I did enjoy most of these bands' recent albums (I think Pendragon's `Passion' was my least favourite, even though it eventually kind of grew on me, Nick Barrett and the band just seemed determined to not include much of anything that sounded like classic Pendragon at all ), although as much as I liked them, I guess the recent Arena and Pallas were closer to melodic AOR than proper Neo-prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:14
^ agreed. And I kind of agree with what some of stonebeard said except the part of not wanting to explore more neoprog other than the big 5. I think COMEDY OF ERRORS and EDISON'S CHILDREN are great and exemplary of what true Neo prog is all about. Even AIRBAG is pretty good. I think that Neo is in great shape and I cannot wait till that new IQ album comes out. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:17
Yep, my friend, I say the more Neo, the better! Join in everyone lol!

I've recently bought an Italian Neo band album by Yleclipse, but I'm not exaclty blown away by them. I recently mentioned them in the Italian Den, has anyone heard their new one and can offer some opinions?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:27
No, but I want in!!!! Lol
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:35
I'm not a big fan of it, Nick. The playing is immaculate, very grand Neo prog, and the arrangements would be superb but they are overloaded with vocals/lyrics almost all the time, not enough longer instrumental sections, worse the vocalist (singing in English) kind of runs all his (endless) words together and mumbles. Really annoying. Not feeling the love yet, mate...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>