Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your favorite, everybody's worst (and vice versa)?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour favorite, everybody's worst (and vice versa)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 15:37
1. I looooooove David Bowie's Never Let Me Down, along with all his other 80s albums.
2. I consider Selling England By the Pound to be the most overrated prog album of all time.
3. I love Big Generator and Open Your Eyes. Especially Big Generator.
4. Yes' Drama is one of my very favourite albums.
5. I love Collins Era Genesis.

I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 15:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

I don't like anything I've heard from Gentle Giant. Can't put my finger on what's wrong with them, to my ears. They somehow lack charm and esprit.    

It was a struggle for me initially when I first bought the Edge Of Twilight compilation. One track though helped me get there more than any other - Playing The Game. Kerry Minnear's organ solo is just so lush and unforced. I love the feel of that track. I kind of agree about some of their tracks as you describe them.Maybe they were just a little bit too 'fiddly' at times for the sake of it.

Yes, maybe they're too technical for me. I'll give them another listen. Smile
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 16:38
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I consider Selling England By the Pound to be the most overrated prog album of all time.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that it is overrated. I much prefer Foxtrot, or the early post-Gabriel Genesis albums instead.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 16:43
Of King Crimson's first four albums, Islands is my favorite.

I find Yes's Relayer to be a quite overrated album.

otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 18:46
Love Eloy's Metromania. Dislike Planets. The first two tracks come off ok then it turns to cheese with the strings and female vocals.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 21:47
Love both the Tangerine Dream and Eloy debuts immensely. My least favorite Eloy is Floating.

Edited by presdoug - May 15 2013 at 21:51
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 22:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I consider Selling England By the Pound to be the most overrated prog album of all time.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that it is overrated. I much prefer Foxtrot, or the early post-Gabriel Genesis albums instead.

Same here, although I do think I prefer Selling England to W&W.  I like And Then There Were Three, however, more than Selling England.  Firth of Fifth, Dancing, etc are masterpieces but the album as a whole doesn't seem to match up to the more complex, meaningful, and coherent Foxtrot.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 01:14
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

Love Eloy's Metromania. Dislike Planets. The first two tracks come off ok then it turns to cheese with the strings and female vocals.

one problem with that album is that it was really part one of a concept and so feels too incomplete. I like the last track but it ends abruptly. As a whole perhaps not satisfactory but some of the playing on that album (drums and bass especially) is just too good to ignore.

I've always liked Metromania. Probably the best 'driving album'. Much more rockier and moving towards a sleeker AOR sound (but not too much).
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 10:47

one problem with that album is that it was really part one of a concept and so feels too incomplete. I like the last track but it ends abruptly. As a whole perhaps not satisfactory but some of the playing on that album (drums and bass especially) is just too good to ignore.
I've always liked Metromania. Probably the best 'driving album'. Much more rockier and moving towards a sleeker AOR sound (but not too much).
Hi, Richard. What do you think of Inside? It's my personal favorite. I've never heard Planets or Metromania
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 19:37
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hi, Richard. What do you think of Inside? It's my personal favorite. I've never heard Planets or Metromania

Inside is one of the better of the early Eloy. Land of No Body is a little over stretched but still good. Future City has Tull all over it. The only thing missing is the flute.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 20:24

Inside is one of the better of the early Eloy. Land of No Body is a little over stretched but still good. Future City has Tull all over it. The only thing missing is the flute.
Oh yeah, their Power and Passion album has some nice moments but it marred by the silly concept of a teenager using his father's science to go back in time! A particularly "cringe worthy " moment has our hero smoking-up a medieval princess in spoken word. Pure 70's hilarity.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 22:51

Oh yeah, their Power and Passion album has some nice moments but it marred by the silly concept of a teenager using his father's science to go back in time! A particularly "cringe worthy " moment has our hero smoking-up a medieval princess in spoken word. Pure 70's hilarity.

OMG, I always cringe when I hear that section...it's just so...so...so...Ouch

Inside was my 1st and favorite Eloy album..."Future City" is German Tull while "Land of No Body" is German Echoes...great stuff... 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 22:54
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

I love Saga (that in itself is a statement) !

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 01:42

Probably my favourite of the early albums although I prefer Eloy of the early eighties (Colours,Planets,Time To Turn) when they soaked their music in synths and had the wonderful bass playing of Klaus Peter Matziol.

Edited by richardh - May 17 2013 at 01:43
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 17:39

Probably my favourite of the early albums although I prefer Eloy of the early eighties (Colours,Planets,Time To Turn) when they soaked their music in synths and had the wonderful bass playing of Klaus Peter Matziol.
I will have to check out some early 80s EloyThumbs Up
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 17:41
Heh, I LOVE all of Eloy's 80's albums, except maybe that `Destination' one, or was that early 90's?

Even `Ra' gets my seal of approval, even though it's not highly regarded at all.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:23
I like Tangerine Dream's Hyperborea better than Tangram and force Majour
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 21:51
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

• Fish's album Suits is imho almost equally underrated.

smartpatrol View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 22:12
    Originally posted by mageestout mageestout wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I love Who Dunnit

SECURITY!!!
    Over here!
    The one clutching the ABACAB album. He's the one!!!!!

that's me :D
    Robert Placard View Drop Down
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 23:19
    • A Passion Play is best Tull album
    • Stormwatch is second best
    • Atom Heart Mother is awesome from start to end especially track 1
    • Rush's Signals is one of their best, only behind A Farewell to Kings of course
    • I think Ulver's Nattens Madrigal is great
    • The Resident's Third Reich and Roll is awful and The Tunes of Two Cities rocks
    • (already said) Islands is a great album
    • Frank Zappa's Civilization Phase III is super cool

and lastly......
    • "Classical" music is better than Prog.
    Edit: but just by a hair though.

Edited by Robert Placard - May 19 2013 at 23:20
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>