Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Doors songs are the most Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: To celebrate the late Ray Manzarek...What Doors songs are Proggiest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [3.81%]
3 [2.86%]
3 [2.86%]
1 [0.95%]
11 [10.48%]
1 [0.95%]
22 [20.95%]
1 [0.95%]
1 [0.95%]
15 [14.29%]
1 [0.95%]
1 [0.95%]
1 [0.95%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [8.57%]
3 [2.86%]
1 [0.95%]
5 [4.76%]
1 [0.95%]
3 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [7.62%]
7 [6.67%]
1 [0.95%]
2 [1.90%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Doors songs are the most Prog?
    Posted: June 21 2013 at 16:49
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I just heard that Ray Manzarek has died.  As one of the first well known organ/keyboard players in rock, Ray helped create The Doors signature sound.  Besides the straight ahead rock numbers that brought The Doors radio airplay and fame, there were plenty of proggish moments for this genre stretching rock band.

To honour the memory of Ray, select those songs that you think defined the proggiest moments of The Doors.

This is a multiple choice poll so choose all The Doors songs that you think fall in the prog realm.

RIP Ray Manzarek...Break On Through!

Riders On The Storm

L'America

The End

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
FLAC View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 06:08
hello  I love you woun't you tell me my name,not sure if prog but still an awesome song 
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:36
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 09:03
^^^Why would anyone deliberately censor their own sincere wish for everyone to f.u.c.k off (to spare our feelings and sensibilities?) Disapprove

(BTW at least he's right about Prog ending in the 70's)
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 08:49
Here's my two cents
Jim had fun. He lived life to it's fullest, sometimes with total abandon. But he was also somewhat fragile, in a way, and something, maybe drugs, maybe all the fame, life in general, something tore him apart, and possibly killed him (we may never know). But most of all, he was a damned good lyricist and singer.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 03:21
Troll ... or something like that.

This commotion was brought to you by ...

... and ...

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 14 2013 at 03:24
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 02:37
Originally posted by humor4u1959 humor4u1959 wrote:

I think of the Doors as prog very much. But, they had hits on AM radio. There is the difference. Listen to what other bands were doing at that time and they were definitely prog. And, I love the Doors. They were so unique and original. Probably the best American band of that era. 'Unknown Soldier' is one of my all-time faves.

It's just sad that Morrison was so messed up.

The above is my original post that started all this crap. Read it. Then, read the replies. It IS sad that he was messed up. Heck, even the other Doors thought so. It was an innocent, factual comment. Then, we get all these folks who think it was okay?

I'm done with this site! You're all a bunch of idiots anyway. Thinking prog is alive and well? Give me a break! It died in the 1970's! Hello, is anyone home? Nobody wants to hear Supper's Ready or The End nowadays.

I joined this site thinking it would be a nice place to be nostalgic with others who enjoyed prog music. And I find idiots who DON'T think it's sad that Morrison was messed up and died???!!!

Edited by humor4u1959 - June 14 2013 at 23:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 16:24

TO: NotaProgHead:

If you truly believe that Morrison wrote the majority of songs, then I may have some swamp land to sell you in Florida. LOL! That's nonsense. Lyrically? Yes. Musically, no. I'm a musician and it's very hard to compose when one plays no instrument. Perhaps he would make up melodies, hum them to the band, and someone would write them down. Sure, that's possible. 'Hello, I Love You' is a good example. But, it's so simplistic.

Dayvenkirq tells you a good thing: "Lyric-writing and humming ... hum-m-m-m-m ... that's still writing".

If you don't believe this read Ray Manzerek's book (he's also a musicianWink), read once again Densmore's memoirs, find somewhere track lists and credits of "The Soft Parade" and "Morrison Hotel" albums and then laugh.

Oops, you're wrong 'bout LA Woman too. 'Love Her Madly' was all Krieger, words and music.
Cats and dogs know that "Love Her Madly" written by Krieger. But where I'm wrong? I only tell that all songs on "L.A. Woman" were credited as a collective effort. Obviously, except for John Lee Hooker's cover. 

It looks like you'd better save swamp lands in Florida for yourself and your heirs. Big smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 13:33
Calls himself humour and all  I see is a lack of it.Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 12:35
^ What's wrong with being on the EO team? Wouldn't make much difference if he was an admin/mod.

If you truly believe that Morrison wrote the majority of songs, then I may have some swamp land to sell you in Florida. LOL! That's nonsense. Lyrically? Yes. Musically, no. I'm a musician and it's very hard to compose when one plays no instrument. Perhaps he would make up melodies, hum them to the band, and someone would write them down. Sure, that's possible. 'Hello, I Love You' is a good example. But, it's so simplistic.
Lyric-writing and humming ... hum-m-m-m-m ... that's still writing.

Besides, you made my case for me. Krieger wrote their top hit, 'Light My Fire.' Plus, 'Touch Me' and many others. Enough of this silly arguing about the Doors already.
1) Nobody made a case for you. Tell me what is the percentage of songs Robbie wrote for the band?
2) Who told you that you are in a position to tell other people not to have a discussion?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 08:33

Besides, you made my case for me. Krieger wrote their top hit, 'Light My Fire.' Plus, 'Touch Me' and many others. Enough of this silly arguing about the Doors already.

Oops, you're wrong 'bout LA Woman too. 'Love Her Madly' was all Krieger, words and music.

Interesting that he is on the 'Errors and Omissions' team.

Just saying......
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 03:13

Edited by humor4u1959 - June 08 2013 at 03:16
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 00:24
Thanks, that's what I was saying. I like the idea of zeal, in the right people, only.  Also,
the idea of calling people names can get really out of hand, or using adjectives, in reference
to the "moronic" comments, but it also was something Jesus seemed to do pretty frequently.   
I think it's about what kind of attachment it's done with.  Someone might say something is moronic,
and he might be referring to something you said, but it's done with a sense of concern for you, not
to ridicule you outright and bully you around.    I appreciate anyone's right to fight back about it, though. 

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 23:38
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

As I remember it, Jesus was a guy with a lot of zeal who use words like "brood of vipers" to describe
people He didn't think were doing much good in the world   "Don't give what's holy to the dogs, or cast
your pearls before swine."  He could have been more politically correct.  Maybe some of you can suggest
alternative wordings?  

You cannot petition the lord with prayer....
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 20:59
I think he was responding to Andrey's claim that there's never an excuse for "vicious zeal".   He says Jesus had a lot of zeal, and we all agree Jesus was a great guy, therefore it can be appropriate for one of us to use zeal.  Something like that, anyway.  Forcing you to either agree with him or claim that Jesus acted inappropriately. A trap!  
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 20:53
^ At least he mentioned Jesus in "When the Music's Over":
Persian night, babe 
See the light, babe 
Save us! 
Jesus! 
Save us! 

Though I didn't understand brainstormer's post. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 20:10
^ I must have missed some lyrical material where Jim was singing about Jesus ... ?
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 19:55
As I remember it, Jesus was a guy with a lot of zeal who use words like "brood of vipers" to describe
people He didn't think were doing much good in the world   "Don't give what's holy to the dogs, or cast
your pearls before swine."  He could have been more politically correct.  Maybe some of you can suggest
alternative wordings?  

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 16:36

Morrison, in fact, wrote very little of the Doors material. After all, he didn't play an instrument. He mainly wrote lyrics. But, I think they now credit all Doors stuff as a band effort.
Strange sentence if you are the Doors fan.

Yes, Jim didn't play any instrument, but he had not only lyrics, but melodies too, i.e. he wrote songs
And it was Jim's suggestion to credit all songs as "written by the Doors". When the band became famous Ray, Robby and John were pleasantly surprised by the amount of money when they started receiving royalty cheques. 

Some of the songs ("Light My Fire", "Love Me Two Times", "Spanish Caravan" (with a bridge borrowed from Isaak Albenitz's "Partido No. 1"), "Yes, The River Knows") were actually written by Robby Krieger, but all songs on first three albums were credited as "written by the Doors" (covers don't count, obviously).

Things changed during recording "The Soft Parade". Not because of money - Jim did not want to be associated with Robby's lyrics in "Tell All The People", he said "I don't want people to get their guns and follow me". And on this album and "Morrison Hotel" songs were credited individually.

When the Doors recorded "L.A. Woman" they returned to the old agreement to credit all songs as a collective effort.

Thus: 
1. Jim wrote the majority of songs (with a great musical contribution of the whole band).
2. Then and now the Doors credit songs as they did on their albums.

Edited by NotAProghead - June 07 2013 at 20:57
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 13:24

Some folks still haven't learned to read. I never called anyone a moron. Read it again if you must. I said that the idea that drugs inspire or make an artist more creative is a moronic idea. IT IS!

How many will have to die before people finally get it? Drugs kill and destroy lives.

I only reacted in a zealous manner because I was shocked by the comments. I posted a sincere statement that was factual. Morrison was messed up. And I get moronic replies? Of course, I'm going to respond. Nice, smart, or semi-smart people often say moronic things. Happens all the time.

Bottom is this. I was and still am a huge Doors fan. And I'll always feel it was sad that he died from his substance abuse. End of story. If I offended anyone, I'm sure you'll get over it.

So, if I could read I would have understood that you didn't call me a moron; however, my idea was moronic as well as my reply.  I'm really glad you're here to set me straight and though I've read your reply dozens of times, speaking as an apparently barely-literate semi-smart person, you're really starting to confuse me.  Could you explain this to me again this time in single syllable words?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>