Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHighly regarded albums you haven't heard.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 20:04
Anything from RPI or Magma. Prolly more but those come to mind immediately. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 17:46
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

I would recommend pretty much anybody to start with Lateralus, simply because that's by far my favorite. It also has the most connection to prog. Aenima is a fan favorite too; that one is a bit closer to alternative rock/metal (but still pretty proggy), but I find that one a little too uneven honestly.

Thanks, I'll give it a try Wink

I agree that Tool is far from being typical "prog metal" and there's a lot of good to come from their music.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 16:16
I've never heard a complete Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Celine Dion album . They've got to be #1, 2 & 3 on my hate list. What I don't understand is how anyone couldn't have heard of Rush, Genesis or Jethro Tull? 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 14:25

I would recommend pretty much anybody to start with Lateralus, simply because that's by far my favorite. It also has the most connection to prog. Aenima is a fan favorite too; that one is a bit closer to alternative rock/metal (but still pretty proggy), but I find that one a little too uneven honestly.

Thanks, I'll give it a try Wink
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 14:10
I still haven't heard:

Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Animals, Godbluff, any Italian Prog, Aqualung (except for the song Aqualung), and a whole bunch of other stuff too.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 13:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 13:31

I'm really into some forms of metal like doom & stoner (old Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Electric Wizard, My Dying Bride, Cephalic Carnage, Candlemass, etc...) as well as Opeth, some Iron Maiden, Yob, etc...and have tried prog metal but just didn't like it.

Tool is nothing like typical prog metal. If you're into the kind of stuff you listed above, I'd say there's a decent chance you might enjoy Tool.
Thanks for the tip.  Based on my metal tastes, what Tool album would you recommend I try?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 13:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I still have never heard a Le Orme album.  Someday.

I looked back at the old thread Rushfan provided a link to above, and am happy to say that since my last post there over a year ago, I have taken the time to listen to a Flower Kings album, a Dream Theater album, and a post-Fish Marillion album.  They haven't become favorites or anything, but they are good albums and I can see why people like them.

Which Flower Kings album did you check out Steve?
"Unfold the Future".  A friend of mine thought it might be the one closest to my tastes.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 12:24

^Very nice list indeed.

You may want to skip Lateralus though, if you're not into metal. It's chuck full of tribal african drumming, Asian twists and some psychedelics as well, but at the core you'll find a lot of metal.

The others are all top dollar in my book(as is Lateralus), and you should be looking forward to them. That Caravan album fx is a classic for a reason. I can't believe you haven't heard it yet.

Into Canterbury bands like Hatfield, Khan, Soft Machine, National Health...guess I just never got around to Caravan Big smile  

I'm really into some forms of metal like doom & stoner (old Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Electric Wizard, My Dying Bride, Cephalic Carnage, Candlemass, etc...) as well as Opeth, some Iron Maiden, Yob, etc...and have tried prog metal but just didn't like it.  Anyway, dropping Tool from my list brings in Nucleus - "We'll Talk About it Later" as a replacement.

If you're into all those Canterbury bands, then you're going to flip out when you hear Caravan. They're the bee's knees!

We'll Talk About It Later is a worthy replacement, and if you enjoy Brand X there's even more to look forward to, as Nucleus and Brand X interchanged members throughout the 70s. This one is their best imo. Be ready for some cool n funky sounding fusion with a trumpet thrown in for good measure.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 12:23

I'm really into some forms of metal like doom & stoner (old Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Electric Wizard, My Dying Bride, Cephalic Carnage, Candlemass, etc...) as well as Opeth, some Iron Maiden, Yob, etc...and have tried prog metal but just didn't like it.

Tool is nothing like typical prog metal. If you're into the kind of stuff you listed above, I'd say there's a decent chance you might enjoy Tool.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 12:02

^Very nice list indeed.

You may want to skip Lateralus though, if you're not into metal. It's chuck full of tribal african drumming, Asian twists and some psychedelics as well, but at the core you'll find a lot of metal.

The others are all top dollar in my book(as is Lateralus), and you should be looking forward to them. That Caravan album fx is a classic for a reason. I can't believe you haven't heard it yet.

Into Canterbury bands like Hatfield, Khan, Soft Machine, National Health...guess I just never got around to Caravan Big smile  

I'm really into some forms of metal like doom & stoner (old Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Electric Wizard, My Dying Bride, Cephalic Carnage, Candlemass, etc...) as well as Opeth, some Iron Maiden, Yob, etc...and have tried prog metal but just didn't like it.  Anyway, dropping Tool from my list brings in Nucleus - "We'll Talk About it Later" as a replacement.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:59
Never heard RUSH. Not too much in girls bands.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:45
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I looked back at the old thread Rushfan provided a link to above, and am happy to say that since my last post there over a year ago, I have taken the time to listen to a Flower Kings album, a Dream Theater album, and a post-Fish Marillion album.  They haven't become favorites or anything, but they are good albums and I can see why people like them.

Which Flower Kings album did you check out Steve?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:42
^Very nice list indeed.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:35
The 10 highest ranking PA albums I've never heard (I left off the "prog metal" albums as I'm not into the genre)

1) Banco - Io Sono Nato Libero
2) Banco - Darwin!
3) Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn Part 1
4) Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim
5) Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
6) Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
7) Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
8) Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window
9) Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
10) Tool - Lateralus

This looks like a great list to check out Wink
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:33

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:17
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

^^^ ooooh, Wind and Wuthering is a gorgeous album I don't see Selling England on your list so I'll assume you've heard that. Not nearly the same, a lot more airy and pastoral but definitely worth a listen for Eleventh Earl of Mar and One For the Vine

I've personally never heard any of Anglagard's works and those are kind of a big deal so I hear

I took a listen to it after you posted this, and I enjoyed the album very much! Quite airy and lush, I especially enjoyed Blood on the Rooftops and Eleventh Earl. I hate to admit it around here, but Your Own Special Way really isn't that bad. I remembered a few more albums I've never heard...

Hybris
Godbluff
Depois do Fim
Dun
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 10:22
My post from a previous thread with same topic.

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I have missed pretty much the entire RPI category so far aside from a couple of PFMs.
VDGG - Godbluff and Still Life.
Anglagard - Hybris or Epilog
Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage (and many of his other solo works)
Harmonium - Si On Avait...
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Bacamarte - Depois De Fim
Focus - Hamburger Concerto (and most of their other albums)
Bubu - Anabelas
Frank Zappa - much of his discography.
Hatfield and the North - S/t and Rotters' Club.
Hawkwind - most of Hawkwind, aside from Blood on The Earth, Hall of the Mountain Grill and In Search of Space.
I am sure there are quite a few others but these are what i can think of as far as "major" misses. I referenced the PA top 100 to compile the list.
EDIT: Also thought of others:
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acoltyte
Can - Tago Mago
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (recently purchased though so will be able to check off of the list.)
Wishbone Ash - Argus
On the flipside, I can say that I recently listened to Mirage from Camel for the very first time. There was also a second classic album that I recently listened to for the very first time which I was going to include in this edit, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was now that I am typing it. LOLEmbarrassed Getting old does wonders for one's......oh what do you call that thing again? EDIT EDIT: Now I remember, it was In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85482&PN=3
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 10:21

Pain of Salvation is a band I haven't heard a full album by yet. I'm not sure I want to either. The same goes for Ayreon.
I've sampled a little here and there, but for my tastes the cheese content is too overpowering. 

Pain of salvation I cannot touch. Guildenlow's vocals are 'pain'-ful to that extent. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 10:17
Vandergraff generator-- Gold Bluff and Pawn Hearts
Gentle Giant--Octopus
Gong---I've listened to nothing. Haven't explored them yet
Hawkwind--Warrior at the edge of time. They just released a remastered special Ed of this album and I want it. :)
ELOY--haven't explored them yet, so nothing. Think I wanna start with Planets
Kayo Dot--Choirs of the eye. This is in large part cause i didnt love Toby driver's work on maudlin of the well.
EROS-- DüNs. I cannot get a hold of this album. Maybe Doug Larson has it?

That's all I can think of right now...sure there is more. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>