Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Should we care about New Prog mania ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Should we care about New Prog mania ?
    Posted: July 08 2013 at 07:36
  between 1968 & 1982 ,  we've had the best Masterpieces of Progressive Rock from Bands living in every spot of the Earth .  i really believe today in 2013 , that we've had it all from those people , my full satisfaction was always guarantied when i listen to those Pioneers & their Excellent releases , Close to the Edge for instance , Lark's Tongues or TAAB .... etc .....   are still my favorites in 4 decades , sometimes better than that !   i really know & appreciate what , some New Prog bands are trying to do , but i always find weakness in their productivity , they have much better equipment & tool then before , some bands knows how to take advantage from that , but the majority is not !!   Anyway , some new release from 1999 till now are much appreciated , it includes some Masterpieces , but not even on the level of one Harvest of the 70's , so , why should i turn my back on what i call Genius to what i barely call Amateur !  i've never though for a while that things can turn this way !!   there are excellent bands nowadays trying very hard to keep the concept of Progressive living , but seems cannot be compared with what was fulfilled  yesterday !   Yesterday , i used to Appreciate moments and feel the Greatness of Music , but , today i'm only trying hard to Appreciate the Power of Music again !  it seems it can't be done  !!!!!
Tracking Tracks of Rock
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 08:33
You shouldn't turn your back on what you define as genius. You might have to paste a phony smile on you're face, agree to disagree , just to avoid conflict of interest with unfortunately those who do not see what we see or simply don't get it. That's what I do at gigs you know? I stand there and smile like a moron and say..."Yes , you're right!" Everything is just fine. Renaissance plays Japan, they exit the hotel in the morning, enter the gift shop and there before them on a rack is last nights performance, sealed, packaged, and for sale. Why ask Annie Haslam if it's okay? Who is she anyway? Does anybody care? No.

You have mentioned the difference between 1968-1982 compared to now. I agree with that..BUT! have you taken notice of threads on prog sites that do not make sense and are ignorant to the artist? I find thaT revolting as well. A thread posted on another prog site which states that any founding/key member of a Prog band can easily be replaced. Really? Do you realize how rare it is for something like that to occur? Do you realize how stupied it is to say that it is a hundred percent true? What are these people talking about? A Philadelphia radio station put together an evening of Prog a few months ago. Chuck Van Zyl who has released some interesting electronic compositions ...gets on the air and says....."Here is something you don't hear anymore and it's Prog"....He then plays "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain. Really? Are you riding on someone else's bus and not wanting to give up your precious seat ...and maybe that's why you are saying garbage like this? Nantucket Sleighride? really? What are you....6 years old? Prog is definitely not as Prog as it used to be.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 09:23
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Prog is definitely not as Prog as it used to be.

^ Nostalgia ain't what it used to be Wink Interesting points in both posts certainly. I guess there are a few big factors which must affect the possibilities of hearing what might qualify as 'Prog' today e.g. the whole apparatus of disseminating music to the marketplace has changed now with internet downloads and artists selling/promoting their own product on line. You'd think that the foregoing would make more challenging and less commercially oriented music more viable but the evidence doesn't seem to support this (or is it just too many small fish slipping through the net?)  Digital technology brings higher fidelity within anyone's reach (talented and untalented) and love it or loathe it, the A&R system deployed by record companies of the past, did perhaps filter some of the wheat from the chaff?

There was clearly a large and (hence lucrative) audience in the 67-76 years who were receptive to risk taking and adventure in music but whether this demographic has been replaced by those with more conservative tastes is debatable. I'm sure that this type of 'generational' argument was in place for the years 57-67 also. We can't seriously expect that modern masterpieces should resemble those you consider unimpeachable from the past (that would be erm....regressive innit?)
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 09:37
Many good points made above concerning issues I have a keen interest in.  Great topic!  I totally agree, 68-82 were golden years for basically all genres of music.  An argument could be made for 65-83.  Dylan, the Byrds and Beatles really hit their stride in 1965 and I always thought Ammonia Avenue was the last bit of well produced pop/prog.  There have been outliers since then, but production values really went to sh*t by the mid 80s.  At the same time, quality of song writing dwindled.  This I think was do to the fact that the 70s zeitgeist imploded, creative sparks cooled and technology increased (to everyone's detriment).  The research on creativity shows that the greats usually have a good ten years and then another uptick years after.  So, in reality, these dudes were absolutely lucky and the stars aligned.  Analog instruments, the second decade of rock, no cliches yet, cool clothes, good taste, nonexistent profit motive...

As far a the new bands go, there's some good ones.  I put up with modern production in order to hear something new.  The old stuff gets tiring, although I always end up back there.  I won't say the new prog bands' songwriting is as good as their elders.  Some is, but they are in a position where there's nothing new under the sun.  Also, they are slaves to technology and horrible production standard.  The ability to make albums listenable is there, but bands are clueless.  Add in crappy mixing and compressed mastering and it's a wonder anyone listens to new prog/metal.  For example, why why why the gated drums?!  What happened to that warm studio in the room sound?  

Some of my newer favorites are Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater.  However, all of these bands have healthy doses of cheese, questionable production and over-progging.  Let's bring back sane production, seriousness in the music and intentional songwriting!

@Toddler, as far as ignorance of music, it's rampant in all circles, especially in rock.  I'm a geek, so I know minute details, but if you call yourself a fan of a certain genre or band, at least know what you're talking about.  My favorite example is the dude who goes to Crosby, Stills and Nash and expects to hear songs that are, unknown to him, Neil Young songs!  In fact, I was talking to a medical doctor friend the other day about some band and he was stating absolutely wrong information as if it was undisputed fact.  Astounding!  Extend this phenomenon to other areas of society and it's quite clear how ignorant people are.  We've been trained to NOT think critically and NOT understand ambiguity and nuance.  It's sad and will probably be the cause of our demise.

Edited by zumacraig - July 08 2013 at 09:43
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 09:38
To each their own.

There are many classic albums from the 70's that I love, just as their are many modern albums that I love. Without a doubt there is something very different about 70's music than music being produced today, even in the prog sphere, but it's just that, different, and the quality of such will always be in the ear of the listener. You may have to go a fair bit further today to find the experimental bands but they're definitely there and to me every bit as good as those of the 70's (well, those I like, but not everything worked in the 70's either so it evens out).  
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 09:45
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Many good points made above concerning issues I have a keen interest in.  Great topic!  I totally agree, 68-82 were golden years for basically all genres of music.  An argument could be made for 65-83.  Dylan, the Byrds and Beatles really hit their stride in 1965 and I always thought Ammonia Avenue was the last bit of well produced pop/prog.  There have been outliers since then, but production values really went to sh*t by the mid 80s.  At the same time, quality of song writing dwindled.  This I think was do to the fact that the 70s zeitgeist imploded, creative sparks cooled and technology increased.  The research on creativity shows that the greats usually have a good ten years and then another uptick years after.  So, in reality, these dudes were absolutely lucky and the stars aligned.  Analog instruments, the second decade of rock, no cliches yet, cool clothes, good taste, nonexistent profit motive...

As far a the new bands go, there's some good ones.  I put up with modern production in order to hear something new.  The old stuff gets tiring, although I always end up back there.  I wont the new prog bands's songwriting is as good as their elders.  Some is, but they are in a position where there's nothing new under the sun.  Also, they are slaves to technology and horrible production.  The ability to make albums listenable is there, but bands are clueless.  Add in crappy mixing and compressed mastering and it's a wonder anyone listens to new prog/metal.  For example, why why why the gated drums?!  What happened to that warm studio in the room sound?  

Some of my newer favorites are Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater.  However, all of these bands have healthy doses of cheese, questionable production and over-progging.  Let's bring back sane production, seriousness in the music and intentional songwriting!

@Toddler, as far as ignorance of music, it's rampant in all circles, especially in rock.  I'm a geek, so I know minute details, but if you call yourself a fan of a certain genre or band, at least know what you're talking about.  Extend this to phenomenon to other areas of society and it's quite clear how ignorant people are.  We've been trained to NOT think critically and understand ambiguity and nuance.  It's sad and will probably be our demise.

Again, regarding production it's entirely subjective. I'm not denying that there's a lot of lazy production going on today but there's a lot of really good work out there too. And not everything from the 70's was quality, most of those albums were recorded on the cheap as record labels wouldn't shell out for them, particularly if a bands first album failed to sell 600 000 000 000 000 000 000 records, and as such I've come across more than a few albums with lifeless sounding rhythm sections or seriously questionable mixes.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 10:18
It's just a proof that artistic inspiration has a lot to do with historical conjuncture. As much as I love much modern Prog, I feel the same way, I don't hear anything as wonderfully inspired as the classics. Possibly it's our mistake, just expecting to hear that again. I guess that historical conjunctural inspiration can also be found in contemporary music (not modern Prog I mean, but actual contemporary music reflecting today's culture), it's just that I don't like it Confused
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 11:12
You should try listening to good bands of today.

I prefer modern music over "classics" though. Never cared much for CttE, TAAb is awful, Foxtrot is great but I barely listen to it. I'm just more entertained by modern masterpieces and the music scene in general and not these nostalgia-soaked albums.

As to your statement about progressive music not reaching the standards, or fulfilling the concept, of the bands of yesterday.. I think Roger Daltrey made a statement that I agree with. He said that bands of his era had it easy because there wasn't much on the canvas of art, so the music that surrounded him were the first "colors" to grace the art canvas. He mentioned that bands nowadays have it more difficult to be more innovative in a sense because since then the canvas have so much paint all over it.

Just because the "prog" scene has been around for a while doesn't mean that bands aren't being progressive - it's just in a much different way I suppose. Adding a keyboard solo isn't prog anymore.

Edited by Horizons - July 08 2013 at 11:20
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 12:23
Because if you don't care about the new stuff, how could it ever be as good as the old? Simple really....
Most of what constitutes our appreciation of anything relies solely on perception, and which associations you wish to paint the sucker in. 
There is literally tons of music being produced today - every flavour you wish to taste, you just gotta take chances sometimes and go outside your box mentality - and reach for something different. 
I don't agree with the 1968-1982 period (nor the 1967-76) of music as constituting the "ultimate" altar on which progressive music aficionados wilfully should bow their heads in eternal grace. I agree that it was a period of music that wrapped up a certain - let's just say style of music pretty well, and yes a lot of the attempts of bringing back that same sort of vibe very seldom supersedes the genuine deal - the real McCoy so to speak. BUT real progress in music - the new kids on the block of what was, at the time extremely progressive musically speaking, were to be found in the avantguarde n RIO territories - the post punk scene, as well as the resurgence of electronic music in the late 80s early 90s with the likes of The Orb, FSOL and Aphex Twin. 
This is again all part of my perspective on things, but I find it increasingly painful to see people, whom evidently appears to dig music that pushes boundaries and explores new sonic ground, to never look further than a specific sort of sound. I simply love music, and the idea of it, too much to do that for myself.

There's that and the fact that the current prog scene actually is incredibly diverse and sprawling - again, you just gotta look outside the tried and tested formulas, or conversely try picking up the exact same thing as you always do, and then continue to separate it from where you think its blueprint came from - and just listen to the thing. Hard thing to do, but then again I don't believe any musician out there deserves to be met by some 45 years of sonic scrutiny.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 11 2013 at 06:53
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 12:56
Clap

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Because if you don't care about the new stuff, how could it ever be as good as the old? Simple really....
Most of what constitutes our appreciation of anything relies solely on perception, and which associations you wish to paint the sucker in. 
There is literally tons of music being produced today - every flavour you wish to taste, you just gotta take chances sometimes and go outside your box mentality - and reach for something different. 
I don't agree with the 1968-1982 period (nor the 1967-76) of music as constituting the "ultimate" altar on which progressive music aficionados wilfully bows their head in eternal grace. I agree that it was a period of music that wrapped up a certain - let's just say style of music pretty well, and yes a lot of the attempts of bringing back that same sort of vibe very seldom supersedes the genuine deal - the real McCoy so to speak. BUT real progress in music - the new kids on the block of what was, at the time extremely progressive musically speaking, were to be found in the avantguarde n RIO territories - the post punk scene, as well as the resurgence of electronic music in the late 80s early 90s with the likes of The Orb, FSOL and Aphex Twin. 
This is again all part of my perspective on things, but I find it increasingly painful to see people, whom evidently appears to dig music that pushes boundaries and explores new sonic ground, to never look further than a specific sort of sound. I simply love music, and the idea of it, too much to do that for myself.

There's that and the fact that the current prog scene actually is incredibly diverse and sprawling - again, you just gotta look outside the tried and tested formulas, or conversely try picking up the exact same thing as you always do, and then continue to separate it from what you think its blueprint came from - and just listen to the thing. Hard thing to do, but then again I don't believe any musician out there deserves to be met by some 45 years of sonic scrutiny.
I get you, but I think we all have our personal perception of what we perceive as 'genuine artistic inspiration'.
Within my limited knowledge of modern music, I see that musicians still strive to be creative, producing stuff which is genuinely new, doing their best, or simply producing more new music following the footsteps laid out by former musicians and bands which is also fine by me.
That's not the point, it's just that, subjectively, people like me (and apparently the OP) find that all those efforts by more modern musicians, while entirely respectable and worthy of admiration, somehow lack the 'genuine inspiration' we find many classics had.
Sure, it's a subjective issue, but one I find real nonetheless.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:04
Thanks Pierre.
I like your hat today - suits your plumage perfectlyThumbs Up 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:06
Nod and smile folks... now read the track listing:

1 FREE - Wishing Well
2 KANSAS - Carry On Wayward Son
3 CRAZY HORSE - Beggars Day
4 MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Way From Memphis
5 WISHBONE ASH - Blind Eye
6 JETHRO TULL - Locomotive Breath
7 PORCUPINE TREE - Trains
8 RENAISSANCE - Northern Lights
9 MOODY BLUES - Dawning is the
10 EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Lucky Man
11 REO SPEEDWAGON - Keep On Loving You
12 JOURNEY - Who’s Crying Now
13 YES - And You and I
14 ARGENT - God Gave Rock ‘N’ Roll To You
15 CURVED AIR - Back Street Luv
16 HAWKWIND - Silver Machine
17 FREE - Wishing Well
18 KANSAS - Carry On Wayward Son
19 CRAZY HORSE - Beggars Day
20 MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Way From Memphis

...now walk away.

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:11
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't agree with the 1968-1982 period (nor the 1967-76) of music as constituting the "ultimate" altar on which progressive music aficionados wilfully bows their head in eternal grace. I agree that it was a period of music that wrapped up a certain - let's just say style of music pretty well, and yes a lot of the attempts of bringing back that same sort of vibe very seldom supersedes the genuine deal - the real McCoy so to speak. BUT real progress in music - the new kids on the block of what was, at the time extremely progressive musically speaking, were to be found in the avantguarde n RIO territories - the post punk scene, as well as the resurgence of electronic music in the late 80s early 90s with the likes of The Orb, FSOL and Aphex Twin. 

There's that and the fact that the current prog scene actually is incredibly diverse and sprawling - again, you just gotta look outside the tried and tested formulas, or conversely try picking up the exact same thing as you always do, and then continue to separate it from what you think its blueprint came from - and just listen to the thing. Hard thing to do, but then again I don't believe any musician out there deserves to be met by some 45 years of sonic scrutiny.
I get you, but I think we all have our personal perception of what we perceive as 'genuine artistic inspiration'.
Within my limited knowledge of modern music, I see that musicians still strive to be creative, producing stuff which is genuinely new, doing their best, or simply producing more new music following the footsteps laid out by former musicians and bands which is also fine by me.
That's not the point, it's just that, subjectively, people like me (and apparently the OP) find that all those efforts by more modern musicians, while entirely respectable and worthy of admiration, somehow lack the 'genuine inspiration' we find many classics had.
Sure, it's a subjective issue, but one I find real nonetheless.

Don't worry Gerard - I get you as well. Must be close to impossible trying to find that same sort of kick and nerve, if you've experienced first hand the prog scene evolve - or at least caught it's "dying breaths". Maybe it's over - I don't know. Maybe Prog, the classic sound of prog that is, maybe it ran its course? I'm not suggesting anything btw, I think music can continue to evolve - at least past some 10 years of initial magic - it just involves the audience being ready for it - the same way the old folks round here were when it first hit the airwaves oh so long ago now. 

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:29
Originally posted by trackstoni trackstoni wrote:

between 1968 & 1982 ,  we've had the best Masterpieces of Progressive Rock from Bands living in every spot of the Earth .  i really believe today in 2013 , that we've had it all from those people , my full satisfaction ...

The hard part of this is telling you ... that no one will ever compose/create any music better than Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinsky ... etc, etc, etc ... and so on ... because they did it yesterday and you are happy now, and you don't see/hear anyone that is making a difference stand up ... TODAY!

Even from a wider view spanning years, you, surely, see the error in your statement, right?

Perhaps you have gotten stuck on a few albums, that were ... ARE ... very good, that we remember a lot better than most crap out there ... and I'm with you on that ... but for me to say, that TODAY no one is doing it ... is not right ... it means that I think that the musicians of yesterday were better than the musicians of today, and THAT IS NOT RIGHT, and a gross generalization.

The musicianship is ALWAYS there, regardless of the day, night, time or place!

The problem is ... do you hear it ... now! ... instead of then? Because you can't!

You can sit and hear some Djam Karet, Herd of Identity and many others listed here on PA ... that are simply magnificent, and they are not trying to create more copies of the "original" ... sort of like we all have to look like ... that one over there ... which means that the definition is wrong, and not about the music ... it's about one album, or person!

Just remember, that time never was that we weren't. But the ears weren't there! And you can do something about that! NOW!

Edited by moshkito - July 08 2013 at 13:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:38

...now walk away.

James Gang!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:55
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Nod and smile folks... now read the track listing:

1 FREE - Wishing Well
2 KANSAS - Carry On Wayward Son
3 CRAZY HORSE - Beggars Day
4 MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Way From Memphis
5 WISHBONE ASH - Blind Eye
6 JETHRO TULL - Locomotive Breath
7 PORCUPINE TREE - Trains
8 RENAISSANCE - Northern Lights
9 MOODY BLUES - Dawning is the
10 EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Lucky Man
11 REO SPEEDWAGON - Keep On Loving You
12 JOURNEY - Who’s Crying Now
13 YES - And You and I
14 ARGENT - God Gave Rock ‘N’ Roll To You
15 CURVED AIR - Back Street Luv
16 HAWKWIND - Silver Machine
17 FREE - Wishing Well
18 KANSAS - Carry On Wayward Son
19 CRAZY HORSE - Beggars Day
20 MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Way From Memphis

...now walk away.

I'm sure you had a point to make there,... but what was it..?
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:56
Old ...new....in between.....it's all good if it's good prog to begin with.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 14:18

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Old ...new....in between.....it's all good if it's good prog to begin with.

This a million times over. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Never, NEVER, let a year dictate how much you like something. Sure, most of my favorite albums came from the 70s, but I'm not going to rule out the possibility that next year an album just might be released that topples the classic-era favorites in my book. It's all about keeping an open mind and enjoying the spirit and substance behind the music whenever it gets released.

This is PROGRESSIVE music we're talking about here after all. The music of today is different, yes, but by no means has it stagnated. If it had, it would be nothing but a bunch of cover bands and ho-hum acts generating material derivative of the classic eras of Yes or King Crimson. That would not remotely interest me in the slightest, particularly when I'm liking bands like Discipline, Riverside, and Opeth so much more than I ever liked Yes.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 14:23
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm sure you had a point to make there,... but what was it..?
Wink

I'll leave that for you to work out - if you can't ... *shrug*
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>