Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Should we care about New Prog mania ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 14:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I once posted something about birds that nobody understood - not even myself. 

in this case , you must reconsider posting it again , perhaps you get the inspiration to understand it !!??   but it seems to be ugly for me !!  cause it comes from an Ugly Person //   Behave yourself while others are checking there friends opinion in some issues !    Angry 
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 14:39
Polania View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 16:22
Sometimes I think that people cared about their work more in the past. I don't know why, maybe they had more time and put all of their effort into one activity that they chose. Of course it doesn't apply exclusively to the music field. 
However, some great artists of our time may be criticezed and ridiculed today. Maybe their time hasn't come yet, maybe it won't ever come because noobody can connect to their art or to what they are trying to convey with it. Who knows, maybe after 5-15 years their art will be needed and desired. I think prog bands aren't called prog for no reason. They are too progressive for their own time, even for prog lovers, old and young included. They can play in some bars and only their friends or small amount of fans listen to them. It's just like with books. Many of the writers and poets, whose art is on everyone's shelves now, they weren't recognised by the people of their era, no agencies or newspapers read them. Who knows ? Perhaps future generations won't need the books which are eagerly read today, even those which are considered classical. Every generation reads or listens to what is important to them, and even every individual person of that generation chooses different books or bands which he himself finds valuable, enjoyable. But tendencies always exist. And only time will tell if the band deserves more listeners or not at all. I try to be vulnerable and listen to the bands that don't seem promising at first and them I'm totally in love with them. Even if they aren't well-known yet, I'll take a chance and follow this band, who know what they'll write in the future?
Of course we can hear some repetitions here and there, many prog bands are influenced by each other and that's not a secret. Again, some book themes can also be repeated by the writers but the language is different and the young could relate better to the new ones. I think same applies to music, musicians can have fun with the same patterns, etc but they can bring their own style into it too. And when it's not so genuine and was made in short period of time, without care, only in order to get some money - then that's a disaster. Even some prog bands sell themselves.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 06:28
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Nod and smile folks... now read the track listing:

1 FREE - Wishing Well
2 KANSAS - Carry On Wayward Son
3 CRAZY HORSE - Beggars Day
4 MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Way From Memphis
5 WISHBONE ASH - Blind Eye
6 JETHRO TULL - Locomotive Breath
7 PORCUPINE TREE - Trains
8 RENAISSANCE - Northern Lights
9 MOODY BLUES - Dawning is the
10 EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Lucky Man
11 REO SPEEDWAGON - Keep On Loving You
12 JOURNEY - Who’s Crying Now
13 YES - And You and I
14 ARGENT - God Gave Rock ‘N’ Roll To You
15 CURVED AIR - Back Street Luv
16 HAWKWIND - Silver Machine
17 FREE - Wishing Well
18 KANSAS - Carry On Wayward Son
19 CRAZY HORSE - Beggars Day
20 MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Way From Memphis

...now walk away.

Mott The Hoople? Confused
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:48
I suppose there is a certain comfort in sticking to the old stuff and thinking that that is the end of it, but prog didn't die in the '80's and there is plenty of good stuff happening today.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 20:30
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

As far a the new bands go, there's some good ones.  I put up with modern production in order to hear something new.  The old stuff gets tiring, although I always end up back there.  I won't say the new prog bands' songwriting is as good as their elders.  Some is, but they are in a position where there's nothing new under the sun.  Also, they are slaves to technology and horrible production standard.  The ability to make albums listenable is there, but bands are clueless.  Add in crappy mixing and compressed mastering and it's a wonder anyone listens to new prog/metal.  For example, why why why the gated drums?!  What happened to that warm studio in the room sound?  

Some of my newer favorites are Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater.  However, all of these bands have healthy doses of cheese, questionable production and over-progging.  Let's bring back sane production, seriousness in the music and intentional songwriting!

Great points here. The cheese factor, shoddy production, and "over-progging" are three of my main complaints of a lot of artists who are intentionally trying to (re-)create prog music today. The three bands named above are, IMHO, three of the worst offenders of all three of these. Unfortunately, almost all of the symphonic and Neo bands of today are quite guilty of all three. I find that if you want to find the new, fresh, and innovative music in prog you almost have to go to the RIO/Avant or Experimental/Post Metal sub-genres.

I know that I am quite guilty of liking "new" music that fits snugly into the styles and sounds that I favored in the past (e.g. any similarity to the more ambient, synthesized, or world music elements of Sylvian, Eno, Sakamoto, The Cure, Shoegaze, Trip-hop, medieval/Renaissance chamber/neo-classical seems to win me over quite easily.) So much for personal growth and evolution, stagnation and nostalgia!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234