Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow come Wakeman did not have a Modular Moog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 07:25
Well Mad magazine had a field day with any film that made it big at the box office.

I never really knew about the Patrick Moraz thing. Yes were not an easy band to be part of. Vangelis did the right thing and said "I don't want anything to do with this conflagration", I'm sure that Wakeman returned with conditions.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 15:35
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well Mad magazine had a field day with any film that made it big at the box office.

I never really knew about the Patrick Moraz thing. Yes were not an easy band to be part of. Vangelis did the right thing and said "I don't want anything to do with this conflagration", I'm sure that Wakeman returned with conditions.

Wow, did Vangelis actually say that?  Quite an astute observation...I wonder how long it took him to figure that out Wink

As far as Wakeman coming back, he tells a story that while still in negotiations with the band to return, he sees the latest copy of Melody Maker and splashed across the headline was "Wakeman Rejoins Yes!"  He asks Squire, "what would you have done if I hadn't agreed to come back?" and Squire says something like, "we both knew that wouldn't happen".  Yes is one bizarre organization LOL
CKnoxW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 15:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

1. As a trained pianist (more so than Emerson) Wakeman prefered polyphonic instruments [there is an amusing anecdote that when he forst played a Moog he thought it was broken because it was monophonic]

Actually, he got his first minimoog half off because the guy that sold it to him thought it was broken because it was monophonic. Wakeman knew it was. It's in the Moog documentary.

Not trying to sound like an a****le by the way Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 16:18
Originally posted by CKnoxW CKnoxW wrote:

1. As a trained pianist (more so than Emerson) Wakeman prefered polyphonic instruments [there is an amusing anecdote that when he forst played a Moog he thought it was broken because it was monophonic]

Actually, he got his first minimoog half off because the guy that sold it to him thought it was broken because it was monophonic. Wakeman knew it was. It's in the Moog documentary.

Not trying to sound like an a****le by the way Wink
In the silent media of Internet forums I have no idea what you sound like... 

However, I knew there was a story about Wakeman and the monophonic Moog just forgot the precise details.Embarrassed
What?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 16:14

However, I knew there was a story about Wakeman and the monophonic Moog just forgot the precise details.

I hadn't heard that one. I just know the more famous story about Wakeman taping the knobs once he'd articulated a more than satisfactory patch so that they wouldn't move, and then going and buying another Mini-Moog.
CKnoxW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 18:06
It's crazy to think that there used to be a time when prog musicians were so rich that they could afford to buy, in Rick Wakeman's case, NINE Minimoogs, among the rest of their gear.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by CKnoxW CKnoxW wrote:

It's crazy to think that there used to be a time when prog musicians were so rich that they could afford to buy, in Rick Wakeman's case, NINE Minimoogs, among the rest of their gear.
NINE Minimoogs = ONE Moog Modular - that's why Wakeman didn't have a Modular unit, he spent all his dosh on Minimoogs LOL
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 21:44
He also had a Rolls Royce collection. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 22:26
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

He also had a Rolls Royce collection. 
.........and his liver was re-arranged to its solid mental grace........LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 02:39
Does anyone know how much of his "arsenal" Keith was able to hold on to after his divorce in the '90s? I recall he camped out on his keyboard tech Will Alexander's couch for a spell...
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 03:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Does anyone know how much of his "arsenal" Keith was able to hold on to after his divorce in the '90s? I recall he camped out on his keyboard tech Will Alexander's couch for a spell...
In this interview he talks about the gear he decided to keep and the gear he put for sale when he decided to move to California. Interesting interview btw

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 03:33

That's why you don't get married.............................................(it's only a 'status' thing................)

Shutoku View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 03:26
Wakeman's half off first mini story...the original owner was actor Jack Wild, best known as Artful Dodger in the movie "Oliver" and then on the Children's show "HR Puff 'n stuff"

On the 9 mini's he used to own...all were stolen. He had to buy new (to him) ones when he thankfully decided to start using them again instead of using digital synths to cover the old minimoog parts.

I do not believe the stories about him taping knobs in place and then buying a new one. Watch the original Journey to the Centre of the Earth concert and you will see he was very adept at making adjustments on the fly. There is a great scene of him playing Catherine Parr from 6 wives, with his right hand flawlessly at high speed on the Hammond, while looking at and totally focused on a minimoog to his left , making a full scale patch change on it.

You will find plenty of pictures and video where there are notes taped onto the panel...even to this day he does that, but I believe it is just a sort of short hand of where certain parameters go for certain pieces.

There is also the story he tells about a show with an intermission. One of the moogs wasn't working. Bob Moog happened to be at the show and went backstage in the intermission, saying he thought he knew what the problem was and would like to take a look. So off Bob goes to look at the moog. Wakeman heads back on stage a few minutes later for the second half of the show, and Bob has the synth completely dismantled and is working away on it oblivious to his surroundings. Wakeman went on stage and finished the show, the whole time with Bob also within the keyboard rig tinkering away. LOL (no word on if the problem was curry in the moog works!Wink )

Edited by Shutoku - August 12 2013 at 03:32
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 02:04
Originally posted by Shutoku Shutoku wrote:

I do not believe the stories about him taping knobs in place and then buying a new one.

I first read of that "legend" in Keyboard Magazine in the late '80s and back then the staffers were wired directly into the grapevine. I assume they still ought to be.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 10:27
Originally posted by Shutoku Shutoku wrote:

Wakeman's half off first mini story...the original owner was actor Jack Wild, best known as Artful Dodger in the movie "Oliver" and then on the Children's show "HR Puff 'n stuff"

On the 9 mini's he used to own...all were stolen. He had to buy new (to him) ones when he thankfully decided to start using them again instead of using digital synths to cover the old minimoog parts.

I do not believe the stories about him taping knobs in place and then buying a new one. Watch the original Journey to the Centre of the Earth concert and you will see he was very adept at making adjustments on the fly. There is a great scene of him playing Catherine Parr from 6 wives, with his right hand flawlessly at high speed on the Hammond, while looking at and totally focused on a minimoog to his left , making a full scale patch change on it.

You will find plenty of pictures and video where there are notes taped onto the panel...even to this day he does that, but I believe it is just a sort of short hand of where certain parameters go for certain pieces.

There is also the story he tells about a show with an intermission. One of the moogs wasn't working. Bob Moog happened to be at the show and went backstage in the intermission, saying he thought he knew what the problem was and would like to take a look. So off Bob goes to look at the moog. Wakeman heads back on stage a few minutes later for the second half of the show, and Bob has the synth completely dismantled and is working away on it oblivious to his surroundings. Wakeman went on stage and finished the show, the whole time with Bob also within the keyboard rig tinkering away. LOL (no word on if the problem was curry in the moog works!Wink )

That Bob Moog story is AWESOME!  Thanks for that!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234