Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog !!  is it a one man effort , or a Teamwork  !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg !! is it a one man effort , or a Teamwork !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog !! is it a one man effort , or a Teamwork !
    Posted: July 09 2013 at 15:56
   Nothing to add , my Question is above !!  Wink 
Tracking Tracks of Rock
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:06
Just to be clear & honest in this   .   Is Ian Anderson (  Jethro Tull )  ?   is he the only man behind the Beauty of Aqualung , TAAB or APP ?  is Roger Waters or David Gilmour behind the 5 masterpieces of the Floyds  !?   is Robert Fripp the only Genius to create 4 masterpieces & 6 excellent albums !!?     my Question is Flat & Clear , Kindly be short & accurate , i 'm not into bullsh*tting anyone in here , but , i would like to hear your answers !

Edited by trackstoni - July 09 2013 at 16:07
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:11
It's always a band effort in my opinion.
No question. 

It's ridiculous to say that Gilmour is the reason PF produced their albums solely. Same with Fripp and the others that could be considered for this list.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:19
Some would have us think it is a one-man effort (think of Bruford calling Anderson "Little Napoleon"!) but, as a musician and band mate of some great musicians, I can tell you that it is a band effort.  

Some members contribute more than others, and if you think of their solo releases, you can get an idea of their contributions as composers vs. players.  For example, Chris Squire's solo catalog is rather sparse compared to Anderson's.  

When it clicks, it really clicks!  I can't tell you the joy & power that happens onstage when a band is truly connecting on a very high level.  It's nearly indescribable. 
unforgivable74 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:53
The ideas may well eminate from one person but unless he or she plays everything on the album surely the end product is a melding of the idea and the execution.

To use a 'current' example, Steven Wilson's 'Raven' is very much a solo project but you can't take away the contributions from the wonderful musicians on the album. 
Laughs as I clean my teeth, laughs as I rub at my eyes.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:35
There's Prog of all kinds, one-man efforts and team-efforts.
Even in the case of one-man efforts (unless it's a one-man band), the other band's members performance is extremely important, they need to understand the idea from the creator and create and play accordingly, Queen's March Of The Black Queen may have been Freddy Mercury's composition but I can guess that the other band members had an important role in how the song sounds.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:45
It always makes for better music when the personalities are fused. And even better when every single person is 100% behind every part. I usually keep going until that happens.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 20:37
Yes.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 22:18
The only One-Man-Effort that really works for me is Mike Oldfield. It might be because he has always been a lone bard. People like IanAnderson, who may have thought they were the only or most important ingredient in a stew, weren't. He may have been the meat, but beef stew without the rest of it it's just soggy meat.

Sorry, I love Ian. But he wasn't Jethro Tull.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 23:07
Since it seems we're picking on Ian Anderson, he may have written TAAB but he certainly did not tell Barriemore Barlow how to play the drum solo that opens side 2...and in Aqualung, he may have written the song but he assuredly did not tell Martin Barre what notes to play in the guitar solo.  One person may bring the chords and lyrics but the individual quirks, style, and personalities of the other band members are what makes the finished song.  I've always believed that if the songwriter tells the other band members exactly what notes to play and how to play them, then the songwriter should get the sole credit (and royalties), otherwise, it should be credited as a band composition.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 23:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Some would have us think it is a one-man effort (think of Bruford calling Anderson "Little Napoleon"!) but, as a musician and band mate of some great musicians, I can tell you that it is a band effort.  

Some members contribute more than others, and if you think of their solo releases, you can get an idea of their contributions as composers vs. players.  For example, Chris Squire's solo catalog is rather sparse compared to Anderson's.  

When it clicks, it really clicks!  I can't tell you the joy & power that happens onstage when a band is truly connecting on a very high level.  It's nearly indescribable. 

Very well said. You took the thought out of my mind. Even though there might be a main or sole composer, the music comes from the band effort.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 00:10
Originally posted by trackstoni trackstoni wrote:

Is Ian Anderson (  Jethro Tull )  ?   is he the only man behind the Beauty of Aqualung , TAAB or APP ?  

No

is Roger Waters or David Gilmour behind the 5 masterpieces of the Floyds !?   

No

is Robert Fripp the only Genius to create 4 masterpieces & 6 excellent albums !!?

No   
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 00:35
Obviously there are many solo projects out there that were the product of a single artist, but as the member of a (prog-ish) band I can testify to the fact that the contribution of every band member is vital to the success of a musical project.  I write the majority of my band's songs, but they would never be nearly as good without the input of my band members.  I do most of the basic composing (and when someone else has a basic idea I usually arrange it) but the other guys typically work their own parts out along the basic harmonic structure - and I know nothing about drums so my drummer writes all his own parts.  Many of my songs would have been unbearably annoying had the rest of the band not had vital input in their composition (like "do you really need that third guitar solo and does this song really need to be 8 minutes long?) and often a part added to an already composed song completely changes it's character and makes it better; for example, we just got a second guitar player who has added so much to our sound - I had written a singer-songwriter type thing that the band was working on, and Jim (the other guitar player) came in and started playing this dark, slightly dissonant arpeggio over the chords that completely changed the character of the song and more poignantly illustrated the theme of the piece.

So yeah, it's a band effort.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
tripplec723 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 01:43
Check out my band Vie Jester's new EP Cognisense   www.reverbnation.com/viejester

www.viejester.com
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 02:52
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

It's always a band effort in my opinion.
No question. 

It's ridiculous to say that Gilmour is the reason PF produced their albums solely. Same with Fripp and the others that could be considered for this list.
This
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 03:10
It's always a band effort if it's a band. Robert Fripp chose people who could complete his vision to an extent, but if King Crimson had been a one-man thing he wouldn't have had a band to begin with. You play with other people because the result is better (or just different and interesting) compared to playing alone. I don't think good music ever works in the way that someone writes a masterpiece, then hires some people and tells them exactly what to play. Perhaps some of my favorite albums are made that way, but I highly doubt it.

That said, I don't doubt that great albums like "Story of I", "Olias of Sunhillow" etc are one-man efforts, but those were never labeled as a band effort either.
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 10:48

Nothing to add , my Question is above !!  Wink 

You will find just as many of one person, as you will bands ... !!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 13:02
I know a lot of people who seem to think that a band consists of a vocalist with nameless people playing instruments. LOL

Definitely a band effort in my opinion though, even if a song were written by one person, I don't believe that if they had someone else play a small sax part (lets say) that it would sound the same if someone else had played it (not applicable if the one person wrote all the music and played all the instruments).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Obviously there are many solo projects out there that were the product of a single artist, but as the member of a (prog-ish) band I can testify to the fact that the contribution of every band member is vital to the success of a musical project.  I write the majority of my band's songs, but they would never be nearly as good without the input of my band members.  I do most of the basic composing (and when someone else has a basic idea I usually arrange it) but the other guys typically work their own parts out along the basic harmonic structure - and I know nothing about drums so my drummer writes all his own parts.  Many of my songs would have been unbearably annoying had the rest of the band not had vital input in their composition (like "do you really need that third guitar solo and does this song really need to be 8 minutes long?) and often a part added to an already composed song completely changes it's character and makes it better; for example, we just got a second guitar player who has added so much to our sound - I had written a singer-songwriter type thing that the band was working on, and Jim (the other guitar player) came in and started playing this dark, slightly dissonant arpeggio over the chords that completely changed the character of the song and more poignantly illustrated the theme of the piece.

So yeah, it's a band effort.

Another great answer from a fellow musician!  

And I agree, I'm a much better bassist/guitarist than drummer!  On keys, I just plain suck (unless it is a Mellotron patch, in which case I can grab a handful of keys, make a major/minor chord and just hold it for a while!!).  

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 17:05
There would seem to be a rather simple answer to this question. Unless one plays every instrument, sings, writes lyrics, and produces (including mixing), it is all but impossible for any "progressive" project to be "one-man." Having said that, there are probably a handful of people who could pull this off, but none of them have done so (at least that I am aware of).

So...even if it is just a multi-instrumental, lyric-writing singer, it would still have to be a "collaborative" effort if a separate producer and/or engineer was involved.

??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>