Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest 70s Wishbone Ash record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: What is your favorite Ash recording from the 70s?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
3 [6.38%]
27 [57.45%]
2 [4.26%]
2 [4.26%]
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
4 [8.51%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 00:30
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I was fortunate to catch the Nektar / M.T.'s Wishbone Ash gig at BB Kings, NYC, and Turner was the only original member.  But that's all they needed - wonderful Bowdown
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 11:07

Argus is probably their most consistent work. I like songs from New England, There's the Rub, and Pilgrimage. I bounce around between those 4. I also enjoyed Noveau Calls..which is not a 70's release, but a instrumental one and worth checking out. I didn't like the production on their debut and that gets to me. The debut is fine no doubt. Some of my favorite pieces/songs are "The Pilgrim"..(which is very Progressive Rock), "In All Of My Dreams" , and "The King Will Come". They often produced a style which ventured into Traditional Folk. The center of "The King Will Come" features 2 guitars blending and produces that traditional English style found on Fairport Convention, Pentangle, and Steeleye Span albums.

oldrok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 11:03
Good comments all...

Ok, Argus: For me is the best "technical" expression of the band to that point. Prog rock fans were surely wondering what limits WA could ascend to, and their Label fully expected future efforts to launch them deep into the mainstream, didn't fully come to pass though.

There's the Rub: I like a lot. Produced by Bill Scymzyk, and the overall sound and mix reflects that, it could have been, at least in my mind, far more commercially successful than it was with stronger backing and airplay. That is, of course if commercial success is important which ultimately I'll concede that it is not.

New England: What an album. Recorded "in the basement at Mart's place"(Martin Turners home in Connecticut), this effort is one that I have never tired of listening to in well over 30 years. A sort of return to garage band roots, for me it took the band in the direction that THEY wanted to go, something that not all bands would do even if they wanted it. Even with harsh tracks like "Mother of Pearl", which I take as an expression of living in their exile to the U.S. due to tax troubles in U.K., this album gets my vote.

Locked In: As noted or alluded by several was unlistenable, which having fallen in between two of the bands best efforts seems odd at best.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 13:16
Argus has always been  my favorite one but recently I was lucky to find a used copy of both Best of Wishbone Ash and Pilgrimage on cd. Other than the tracks on the best of I haven't heard any of the later Ash lp's.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 05:46
ARGUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 04:13
I just acquired the Wishbone Ash debut LP, and I have to confess that it is more me than Argus. And I can see how Steve Harris modelled Iron Maiden on this mob. Still, the San Fran band Quicksilver Messenger Service were a twin guitar revolution, with excellent music to boot.
Duncan/Cipollina are still my preferred guitar duo.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 04:16
Wishbone Four
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 04:20
Surprising there are no votes for the 'Live Dates' dbl LP extravaganza. Fantastic performances all 'round.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 04:27
OK, who's the comedian that voted for Locked In?!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 04:53
It wasn't me - honest - but so far it's the debut that does it for me. I still need to get more from them........I have my eyes on 'Pilgrimage', 'Fourth' and 'There's The Rub'. Then I will start to judge what I prefer most.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 08:53
The double live albums a bit special , as it reminds me of the time's i saw them at Reading University 75 and the Reading festival the same year .   top Live band !!

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 10:08
It doesn't fit into the 70s as it was released in 1980 (though recorded in the 70s) - but if you're talking live albums then Live Dates Vol 2 is well worth a spin.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 12:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It wasn't me - honest - but so far it's the debut that does it for me. I still need to get more from them........I have my eyes on 'Pilgrimage', 'Fourth' and 'There's The Rub'. Then I will start to judge what I prefer most.
I think you'll like Pilgrimage....similar to the first...imo.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 13:02
Thereīs the Rub is my favorite, but New England is a favorite too.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 13:03
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

OK, who's the comedian that voted for Locked In?!

Well taste is taste , but yeah I agree, itīs definitely not their best
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 17:47
If you notice the piano on "Blind Eye", it gives the song that characteristic of the British Blues Boom era. Wishbone Ash surfaced from that scene around the time when the structure of the British Blues was becoming heavier in sound. Surely not too obvious on Free's s/t , but more so evident on Fire and Water with songs like "Mr. Big". Andy Powell and Ted Turner seemed to be influenced by traditional Folk music. Take the intro to "The Pilgrim" for example, ....there is something very traditional European in the style. The center section of The King Will Come and Leaf and Stream are very traditional sounding like Fairport Convention pieces.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 01:15
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

If you notice the piano on "Blind Eye", it gives the song that characteristic of the British Blues Boom era. Wishbone Ash surfaced from that scene around the time when the structure of the British Blues was becoming heavier in sound. Surely not too obvious on Free's s/t , but more so evident on Fire and Water with songs like "Mr. Big". Andy Powell and Ted Turner seemed to be influenced by traditional Folk music. Take the intro to "The Pilgrim" for example, ....there is something very traditional European in the style. The center section of The King Will Come and Leaf and Stream are very traditional sounding like Fairport Convention pieces.

Andy Powell has stated in the past that he had great respect for Fairport Convention i.e. Richard Thompson and his guitar playing. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 07:42
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Andy Powell has stated in the past that he had great respect for Fairport Convention i.e. Richard Thompson and his guitar playing. 
tHANKS for the tip!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 07:53
Wishbone Ash had such a distinctive sound and writing style. It was difficult to run across any other artist in the 70's that sounded  anything close to the Ash  as they were very original. There was one person though... and that was Danny Kirwan from the early Fleetwood Mac.
Example : Child Of Mine, Bare Trees, Sands Of Time, Dust, and One Sunny Day are structured like the writing of Andy Powell and Martin Turner. It is also very easy to hear Danny Kirwan singing "Time Was" or Martin Turner singing "Bare Trees". "Time Was" is very much like a song Danny Kirwan would have written. Danny Kirwan's guitar playing is a cross between the sound and style of Andy Powell and Ted Turner. It's just really strange and I've observed it over the many years of being a Wishbone Ash fan.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:49
I voted for Live Dates, because it was the album that made me familiar with Wishbone Ash. And I'm thankful for that.
"We've got to get in to get out"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>