FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVegetarians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegetarians
    Posted: August 02 2005 at 11:21

Anyone a vegetarian or has been a vegetarian or would like to be a vegetarian or hates vegetarians?

I've been a vegetarian for 3 years now and there is no chance I would go back to eating any kind of meat or fish or seafood.  the idea repulses me.  especially after watching various programmes on meat and how it is processed or the kind of meat that hits the supermarket.  just last week there was a programme highlighting the plight of chickens used in major supermarkets - it was absolutely digusting.  I know the poor blighters are destined for our plates anyway, but the conditions they were kept under were horrific, not to mention the drugs that are pumped into them.  One of my fears is that we don't truly understand what the future result will be of our actions and that we'll be faced with another BSE type crisis.  at least with vegetables, especially organic ones, you can head off some of the problems we associate with meat - although I appreciate not even vegetables are immune to issues relating to food. 

"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 11:35

i'm a veggie, and since that time i globally feel better. you have to be careful when you are a veggie: you have to get the 8 essential amino-acids so that your body will have the complete protein intake: so, i eat soy, nuts, peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, cashews, pecans, pistachios, yogurt and cheese. the food elements combination is very important too, if you want to optimize your amino-acid intake.

i don't think we need meat: it is just too complicated and not useful.

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 11:40
I figure somethings going to kill me one of these days, so in the meantime I'm going to enjoy my steak, shrimp, chicken, bacon.  I do dislike the way they treat the animals destined for the slaughter, but I figure by the time they reach my table the animals are dead already.  The various governments should do something though about the way the animals are treated and processed.  The two things I won't eat are lobster (boiling something alive is too cruel even for me - of course the fact that it looks like a giant bug doesn't help matters either) and veal.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 11:44
I'm a meat eater, I like veg too though!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 12:19
i love meat. mainly steak and seafood. i don't like veggies that much, but i do eat fruit more than any other food.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 12:54
Meat all the way!!!!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 13:01
All of the veggies I know are kind to animals, except other humans.

So I'd rather eat meat.
Epic.
Humanizzimo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 13:43
I really think is nice to be a Vegetarian...but i cant stop eating meat...i love barbecue 
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 13:48
I eat anything but moles, but enjoy some fully vegetarian dishes alot! Many times in public cantines (schools, offices etc.) I tend to pick non-meat meals, as they are often IMO little more difficult to ruin than meat or fish.
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 14:06
I am against the way animals are treated but luckally there are some shops in rural areas that sell only local meats, which treat their livestock properly so im lucky that way. During the summer I only eat meat when a guest at other peoples houses or serving food to guests. For some reason I hate eating meat when its really hot out.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 14:10
Been veggie for five years. It's not a moral thing - I just feel uncomfortable with eating meat. Those who don't are welcome to carry on doing so.
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 14:11

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Been veggie for five years. It's not a moral thing - I just feel uncomfortable with eating meat. Those who don't are welcome to carry on doing so.

, my sentiments exactly.

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 14:11
Originally posted by Humanizzimo Humanizzimo wrote:

I really think is nice to be a Vegetarian...but i cant stop eating meat...i love barbecue 

Ever tried barbequed corgettes? Mmmmm...
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 14:29

I like meat.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 14:53
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

i'm a veggie, and since that time i globally feel better. you have to be careful when you are a veggie: you have to get the 8 essential amino-acids so that your body will have the complete protein intake: so, i eat soy, nuts, peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, cashews, pecans, pistachios, yogurt and cheese. the food elements combination is very important too, if you want to optimize your amino-acid intake.

It seems to me,Greenback,that your post is proof that we NEED to eat meat.Our bodies need (vitamin B4> EDIT:) Vitamin B12,(not B4) and if you dont eat meat the only way to get is by taking a supplement.Those 8 essential amino acids can all be found in a nice juicy steak,who wants to piss about reading labels on veg/nuts and seeds trying to get enough nutrients?

Edited by Tony R
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 14:58
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

It seems to me,Greenback,that your post is proof that we NEED to eat meat.Our bodies need vitamin B4 and if you dont eat meat the only way to get is by taking a supplement.Those 8 essential amino acids can all be found in a nice juicy steak,who wants to piss about reading labels on veg/nuts and seeds trying to get enough nutrients?

Sorry Tony, but you're talking rubbish.  Vitamin B4 is also found in in many green vegetables, pulses, yeast, and mushrooms. 

As for checking the labels, it's actually made me more conscious of what I eat, as I am forced to read labels to check what I am eating.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 15:07
Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

It seems to me,Greenback,that your post is proof that we NEED to eat meat.Our bodies need vitamin B4 and if you dont eat meat the only way to get is by taking a supplement.Those 8 essential amino acids can all be found in a nice juicy steak,who wants to piss about reading labels on veg/nuts and seeds trying to get enough nutrients?

Sorry Tony, but you're talking rubbish.  Vitamin B4 is also found in in many green vegetables, pulses, yeast, and mushrooms. 

As for checking the labels, it's actually made me more conscious of what I eat, as I am forced to read labels to check what I am eating.

Sorry,you are right. I meant Vitamin B12. Vitamin B4 is now believed not to even exist as a Vitamin.

spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 15:12

Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

Sorry,you are right. I meant Vitamin B12. Vitamin B4 is now believed not to even exist as a Vitamin.

It is essentially an acid (folic acid/adenine).  B12 can be found meat, dairy products and eggs. 

You have hit on an interesting point though; as a vegetarian you have to give more consideration to what you eat - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 15:23
i don't eat anything that has a shadow......

I was actually a vegetarian for 9 months, now im an uber-carnivor
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 15:57
Well I don't eat meat becouse I just don't lke the taste of it... But fish like hadock are great...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>