Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi from Beijing!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Beijing!
    Posted: August 01 2013 at 11:58
Hi all!

I'm Ben, actually from Stockport (don't go there! No really, don't...) near Manchester, UK but I've been living in China for the past few years, getting by and improving my Chinese so I could study here, which hopefully I'll be starting doing from next month Smile I also play in a band here, but our singer is an aging punk who still holds a prejudice against prog!

I've been reading/using this site for a couple of years I guess, getting some great music recommendations from all the excellent reviews you guys have posted! For some reason I never bothered registering until now, prompted by a certain Neu! album I thought had been unfairly dismissed (Neu! 2, if you must know!). I love pretty much all kinds of music (except commercial pop/RnB/indie), but I suppose that's a bit of a cop-out for a self-introduction!

So anyway, in terms of prog I guess krautrock (especially Can, Amon Duul II, Faust and Ash Ra Tempel) and the Canterbury scene (especially Caravan, Soft Machine, Gong and Kevin Ayers - I was born there, actually!) are my favourite genres, though I'm also a big prog metal fan, especially Opeth, Death, Enslaved, Meshuggah, Shining, Ihsahn, Agalloch, Moonsorrow, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Fantomas, and love a lot of other prog like Van der Graaf, The Mars Volta, King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant and Henry Cow, and some prog-ish folk like Jethro Tull, Steeleye Span, Comus, Incredible String Band and Roy Harper (legend!). A lot of this stuff I got into via this site, so thanks and any more recommendations would be welcome!

Other than prog, my first musical love was probably classic rock/indie/alternative like Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, The Fall, etc, though I don't listen to much recent indie or alternative rock (except anything related to Mark Lanegan or Mike Patton...). I do however really love some recent post-rock like Talk Talk, Mogwai, Tortoise, Grails and Battles, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Yr Skinny Fists... is probably my favourite album of any genre (along with Roy Harper's Stormcock, Soft Machine's Third and Opeth's Ghost Reveries) and some recent electronic music like Autechre, Venetian Snares, Four Tet, Boards of Canada and Burial. I'm also a big fan of artists like Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits (probably my favourite singer), Scott Walker, Einsturzende Neubauten, Swans, John Zorn and Bjork who don't seem to belong in any category!

Recently I've also been listening to more jazz, I've loved Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Mingus, etc for a while, but lately I've got hold of some more free/experimental jazz like Eric Dolphy, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, and McCoy Tyner, as well as some older/classic stuff like Art Tatum, Lennie Tristano and Bill Evans and recent groups like EST. I like a bit of folk too, especially Dylan, John Martyn, Townes van Zandt, Tim Buckley and John Fahey, as well as a lot of older pre-war blues and folk (just got hold of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music, amazing!). Finally I also love classical music, especially Beethoven and Messiaen (definitely my two favourite composers), as well as Shostakovich, Sibelius, Mahler, Bach and Bartok.

I guess that's about all! I would recommend some good Chinese prog music to you, but unfortunately a lot of the good bands/artists I've seen here are either a bit derivative of Western styles or aren't recorded well if at all Unhappy Still early days for China's modern music scene though! The best (well-recorded) one I've heard so far are called Omnipotent Youth Hostel (万能青年旅店), they play prog-influenced classic rock/indie with horns and Chinese-style melodies and are surprisingly popular! Worth catching live if you're ever in the China-area...

Hope to meet you around the site! Smile
"A single voice for the whole thousand-voiced multiple, a single Ocean for all the drops, a single clamour of Being for all beings" Deleuze

"Densensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?" MJK
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 12:59
Welcome, we need some voices from that part of the world Big smileHug

Feel free to recommend some bands for inclusion if you think there is merit.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 16:07
Welcome. And here's some Chinese prog for you ;-)

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
 Post Reply Post Reply