Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)
    Posted: October 13 2013 at 02:28
My favourite The Rolling Stones' song , from my favourite album by them..

I think that of all these old & legendary Rock bands who are still in bussines, The Rolling Stones look the best in that image of  "wheelchair rockers".

This is a footage from their concert in my hometown, 2007.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 02:40
I have odd faves from The Stones, at least compared to what my friends listen to - as well as their fathers. 
I really enjoy some of the tracks that happened in collaboration between Jagger and Mick Taylor. 'Sway' from Sticky Fingers is just so beautiful. I always return to that one.
Then there's three off of Goats Head Soup, imo their best album. '100 Years ago', 'Can you hear the Music?' and the dizzying mantraing blues ride of 'Hide your Love'.
'Play with Fire' is another one I love to death. UHHH 'Citadel' and '2000 Light years from Home'Heart

Lots of others, but that's just for starters.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 06:30
All of Satanic Majesties is out of this world - I rate this alongside Crazy world Of Arthur Brown and After Bathing At Baxter's as my knock-out Psych classics.
'Can You Hear Me Knocking', 'Sister Morphine' and 'Bitch' off Sticky Fingers
Most of 'Goats Head Soup' - especially '100 Years Ago'
'Fingerprint File' and 'Time Waits For No-one' off It's Only Rock and Roll.
'Heaven' and 'Hang Fire' off Tattoo You.
Like Dave said, that's for starters.........
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 07:40
I absolutely love Satanic Majesties...they out Peppered Pepper on that one. Unlike Pepper it's more darker sounding. For me the first album that counts is Aftermath, and the only post-Some Girls albums that matter are Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge. Some gems in their catalogue (some have been mentioned already):

I Am Waiting
She Smiles Sweetly
2000 Man
2000 Light Years From Home
She's A Rainbow
We Love You
Jigsaw Puzzle
Monkey Man
Happy (sung by Keef)
100 Years Ago
Fingerprint File
Hand Of Fate
Before They Make Me Run (sung by Keef)

Magma America Great Make Again
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 08:46
I always encourage nonbelievers to check out the London Years Singles Collection 3 disc box set.  It covers the very beginning up to about 1969 - roughly the Brian Jones years.  There's something really special about those recordings, not just in the songs but in the sound.  I don't really care much for them post-Let it Bleed.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 10:40
I've always been a Stones fan and listen to all the earlier lp's up until and including Sticky Fingers.....some good tracks also on Goats Head and It's Only Rock and Roll;  beyond that I really don't bother.
Favorites:
Paint It Black
She's A Rainbow
Satisfaction
Get Off My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Mothers Little helper
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
2000 Light Years..
Street Fighting Man
Stray Cat Blues
You Cant Always get....
Tumbling Dice

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:14
Will I get stoned (LOL) for liking Emotional Rescue?

Other faves are obvious ones like:
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy for the Devil
...ummm, others but I can't think of them offhand...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:21
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Will I get stoned (LOL) for liking Emotional Rescue?

The song, no...the album, yesWink I actually like that song; not as a Stones song per se, but as a good disco-rock number.
Magma America Great Make Again
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:49
^ How about 'Miss You', with none other than Mel Collins on the sax !!
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:54
Paint it Black
Help me I'm falling!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 15:04
No-one has mentioned 'Jumping Jack Flash'.....
......and many P.A. forum users will be avoiding this thread like the plague
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 16:03
"Under My Thumb". Can't get into their classics yet, but that song will always remind me of the awesome times I've had as a late teen (though there were very few of them). Something about the percussion and the guitar and Mick's singing. Awesome chemistry.

The difference in the cu-lothes she wears down to me.

Don't care much for the lyrical content, though.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 13 2013 at 16:05
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

No-one has mentioned 'Jumping Jack Flash'.....
......and many P.A. forum users will be avoiding this thread like the plague
Killer song............

Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 00:56
I can't understand how one can not like something by The Stones - I definitely prefer them to many greats (Led Zepp, Beatles etc.) Probably the greatest straight-ahead Rock band in existence.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 04:05
^ Give me a song by them, and I'll tell you what I don't like about it. Not kidding.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 14 2013 at 04:05
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 05:51
Never was a Stones fan although I must admit that it is pleasant to hear some of their older material from time to time however their music is not something that I will try to absorb and ponder for any length of time. Paint It Black, Jumping Jack Flash, Under My Thumb, Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday, Angie, etc etc - there is a wealth of music in their portfolio that I really don't mind hearing now and then and will seek out at times in the same way that I love CCR when I happen to hear it on the airwaves.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 07:49
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Give me a song by them, and I'll tell you what I don't like about it. Not kidding.

You don't like any song off the mellotron-fuelled Satanic Majesties Request album ??? I'm gob-smacked......
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 09:28
Being as old as I am.....I must stress the point of their image and sound in the 60's. As played into the media, the Stones were labeled the "bad guys" and The Beatles were the "Good guys"...but it runs deeper. The Stones felt dark and they looked dark on photo shots of early album covers. December's Children, Aftermath, Between the Buttons, 12 x 5 were all signs between 65' and 69' of gloomy/dark rockers disturbing the presentation of that hokey forced Rock star smile/grin on practically ever album cover in Rock n' Roll. The Stones developed a mentality which had a darker approach and it invaded Rock n' Roll in America.

Keith Richards used inverted chord voicings in many of the Rock songs he wrote. He used that formula in a different way..as we all must assume that these types of chord voicings had been previously applied in Motown, Soul, Blues, and even Jazz. George Harrison was producing lead guitar solos stylistically based off Country & Western music and Rockabilly...while Keith Richards discovered a way to place inverted chords in Rock music and opening up the sound of those chord voicings more than others had done in the past. A good example would be the intro to "19TH Nervous Breakdown. There was a dosage of Chuck Berry in everything he wrote on electric guitar, but yet..Richards created a sound that opened up the music a bit more. This is more evident than ever on "Brown Sugar"

Brian Jones colored their music and he was multi-talented. He wasn't a writer..but an idea person. "Ruby Tuesday", "Lady Jane", "2000 Light Years From Home" included on a long list of other songs he was responsible for their uniqueness in texture. Mick Jagger , I felt had some nerve attempting to sing a Sgt. Pepper style ballad when clearly his voice was not up to par in most cases. He had this distinctive sound that replaced his lack of dimension in being a vocalist and many people in 65' simply didn't notice he lacked in diversity of things like range, pitch, vibrato sustain control and so on...As a band..they were adequate on their instruments and so to create a full and more impressive sound they hired fine "Boogie Woogie' style piano players, horns, and female back up vocalists. In reality , it didn't matter much to a mass of people how diverse they were on instruments because of how their image prevailed in the Rock music industry. That's why a great amount of  people in the world cannot conceive what is actually good about them. Try explaining  the times we were living in, how the Stones were actually unique then, ask them to dismiss their media hype and just listen to their music ..but it's too condescending for them.  

Edited by TODDLER - October 14 2013 at 09:33
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 19:16
^ Well said TODDLER.

The Beatles were always my #1 but I loved the Stones too.  Something else people forget about the late 60's, when the Beatles were singing about "Revolution" and the Stones were glorifying the "Street Fighting Man", there was a palpable feeling that revolution and anarchy could be right around the corner and that the Stones could just be the ones able to incite the worlds youth to rise up.  These were times where a campus protest against the Viet Nam war lead to a student being murdered by the National Guard at Kent State.  1967 may have been the "summer of love", but 1968 dawned dark and the Stones were at the forefront.  The Watts riots, assassinations of MLK and Robert Kennedy, Manson family, Zodiak killer, everything was falling apart at the seems.  Riots at Stones concerts were commonplace and this of course culminated in Altamont where the demons were hired as security guards and all hell literally broke loose.  Jagger particularly seemed to revel in his power to incite riots and chaos.  John Lennon may have claimed the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus" but "Sympathy for the Devil" seemed to be Mick's statement of where his allegiance truly lay.  At the conclusion of the Stones performance at the "Rock and Roll Circus TV special", Jagger tears his shirt off to reveal a Satan artwork on his chest.  People really wondered if he was the second coming of the fallen angel.  Then as the 70's wore on, the Stones became a bloated parody of their 60's selves as Keith drowned in a sea of drug addiction and Mick became the darling of the jet set class.  

But there was a time when the Stones really seemed to be the living embodiment of all that was dark and evil in the chaotic swirl of the late 60's world. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 20:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I can't understand how one can not like something by The Stones - I definitely prefer them to many greats (Led Zepp, Beatles etc.) Probably the greatest straight-ahead Rock band in existence.
Amen.......though I wouldn't say they were better than the Beatles or Zep.....just  different.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>