Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern prog
    Posted: February 01 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

I actually think 70's prog is notoriously overrated trite for the most part,
and I really don't see what it has to do with the great stuff coming out today.

I think it's just the massive circlejerk this board has for "classic" prog ... 
I even think that Neo-Prog is better than Symphonic.

And there goes your credibility 

Ouch

One upon a time I did try out some newer prog and one was a neo-band. Oddly, I had to return it (them - the  others were earlier Tool albums that ... did little for me). Had to get some Camel instead. All was then well... It annoyed me that I did retreat to safe ground. But a latter day band that really did a lot for me was Tortoise, to me very progressive though not a prog band as such. They on the archive?, I'll see. I suppose it's what some one has to say as well as how they say it.

In many ways this illustrates the difference between a new pog release and an older one. Newer prog is far more rock oriented and uses modern ideas (no guitar solos on Tool albums like later Metallica. Why I dunno, but there we go). It's a culture identity thing.

I agree with you that nowadays, much more than yesterdays, progressive rock is progressive music for rock music (as a genre).

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 00:03
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

I actually think 70's prog is notoriously overrated trite for the most part,
and I really don't see what it has to do with the great stuff coming out today.

I think it's just the massive circlejerk this board has for "classic" prog ... 
I even think that Neo-Prog is better than Symphonic.

And there goes your credibility 

Ouch

One upon a time I did try out some newer prog and one was a neo-band. Oddly, I had to return it (them - the  others were earlier Tool albums that ... did little for me). Had to get some Camel instead. All was then well... It annoyed me that I did retreat to safe ground. But a latter day band that really did a lot for me was Tortoise, to me very progressive though not a prog band as such. They on the archive?, I'll see. I suppose it's what some one has to say as well as how they say it.

In many ways this illustrates the difference between a new pog release and an older one. Newer prog is far more rock oriented and uses modern ideas (no guitar solos on Tool albums like later Metallica. Why I dunno, but there we go). It's a culture identity thing.
GhostPony750 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 00:57
While I mostly like the old classics, there are good stuff on both side. Citizen Cain is a great exemple for the new era.

Also, I usually prefer the band's first albums, so I'm not really in the new era. Saga, for exemple: Their first album is my favorite, so much great songs here. Their newest album, 20/20, got 11th in Germany's chart. It became so popular that Justing Timberlake stole the idea for the album cover. But I still don't like this album, except a few songs.

Seriously, Justing Timberlake stole the cover and the title! xD
Saga's 20/20 (2012): http://i.imgur.com/zYgFD.jpg
J.T.'s 20/20 (2013): http://img2-1.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/02/07/Justin-Timberlake.jpg
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 23:18
I wouldn't say most musicians play CRAP.  I think, especially professionals who have been in the line for a long time would have a modicum of competence and this goes for most walks of life?  You can't suck bad at something and still be stuck doing it for a really long time without people firing you out of jobs, unless you are damn lucky.  But only a small minority of musicians are great.  Which is fine because greatness is not mean to be within the reach of the majority; then it wouldn't be worthy of the epithet.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 08:44
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Most musicians play crap music. Whether you play an instrument or not it doesn't change that you were born with crap taste and no adventure and no creativety and no feel for composition

Actually, as negative as this sounds this may be true...well at least to my ears. I think it's a very small % base of who is considered to be a quality musician given how huge and dynamic the music scene is. But then again I could be venturing into subjectively because this is purely based on my experience and not yours.

Anyway. I'm grateful for the quality musicians I've discovered both from the retro periods and of course MODERN cause its not all crap.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 17:06
Most musicians play crap music. Whether you play an instrument or not it doesn't change that you were born with crap taste and no adventure and no creativety and no feel for composition
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
mongol View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 05:22
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Is there anyone else here who prefers the modern wave of prog music (say, 1989-present->) to the so-called "classic" era of the 70s? The music of bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard just does more for me than Yes, Genesis, ELP et al. Maybe it's because I wasn't around during that era, but still, I am proud to have a progressive era of MY time, to call my own, and I firmly believe we are in a new Golden Age of progressive rock.

Not sure how you define "my time", "my own"  [music].  That's a mindset too many people get stuck in, and the only music they know is what they listened to growing up.  Once they became adults, they basically stopped listening to anything new, and can only identity with the music they listened to in/around high school age.  When you define something as your time or your music, then the possibility exists that in the future you will fall into the same trap.  Maybe in the sixties/early 70s, "don't trust anyone over 30 era", that was reasonable, but I don't think prog is made for specific age groups these days.  Consider the age of the members of the bands you mentioned.

Good music is good music, whenever it was made.  I like anything from Opeth, Gorguts and Dream Theater (going to the March concert baby!) to the newly arrived Jan Dukes de Grey Sorcerer/Mice which I'm going to spin now :)

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 19:15
Well, the other day I listened to Gorguts, Beyond Creation, Jethro Tull, Yes, Steely Dan and Atheist, so... no, the day it was written or recorded doesn't matter much to me. Smile
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 18:01
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

^ Getting a 'musical education' won't change a thing in this case. In fact, it would reaffirm his biases since modern music tends to reject traditional values (which includes the idea that you need an education to make and understand music). Also that's just a really lame thing that kids say on the internet.

Many of your generation think that a musician can be a genius without having a musical education, OK ! But this musician will be a much better "genious" of the music if he HAS a musical education.

I think formal music education is a good thing. I was saying that getting a music education (and liking it) would probably only worsen ones opinion on modern music. Also I meant that telling someone to "get a music education" is one of the more juvenile youtube style comments you see on music vids.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 09:13
Well lets forget about the negative Nancy sh*t here for a bit.
I actually like to know what modern Prog people here are enjoying these days and how others here feel about the Neo/Prog genre. Personally, I think it's great and should be deemed or called Neo/Prog because I do believe it is an extension of the symphonic Prog genre, but with a more modern sound. There has been some controversy about this, but even though some artists hate the term 'neo/Prog' I think it is highly relevant.

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 06:32

^ Getting a 'musical education' won't change a thing in this case. In fact, it would reaffirm his biases since modern music tends to reject traditional values (which includes the idea that you need an education to make and understand music). Also that's just a really lame thing that kids say on the internet.

Many of your generation think that a musician can be a genius without having a musical education, OK ! But this musician will be a much better "genious" of the music if he HAS a musical education.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 09:22

I totally feel sorry for the guy. I almost want to put out a big list for him to check out, so he could see how sophisticated, beautiful and down right creative modern Prog is but with a really blantantly, silly response like he said above I feel my help would do very little or make any head way for him.   
Pretty ironic how doctors can get really sick too.

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 05:59
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 23:25

I just wanna say one thing. Music doesn't progress. Only
Songs progress. New bands rarely ever can make a really strong composition. They have too many crappy post 1980 influences. They lack character and composition. They resort to inventing new styles of music or copying old compositions to get somewhere

Please tell me this is bait.

If so, 9/10 made me reply.

If not, dude you really need to get a musical education or be quiet.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 23:18
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Must suck having to retype that every time it could fit ;[
LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 21:30

Songs progress. New bands rarely ever can make a really strong composition. They have too many crappy post 1980 influences. They lack character and composition. They resort to inventing new styles of music or copying old compositions to get somewhere

Well then let's just do away with the whole concept of 'influence' and have every musician out there start from absolute scratch. . By scratch, no outside successful and creative Prog band influences at all for the aspiring Prog artist.
Yeah. I bet he/she is gonna sound just amazing.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 16:42
Must suck having to retype that every time it could fit ;[
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 16:12

Edited by dr prog - December 17 2013 at 16:18
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 01:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

In the great words sung by UFO " Doctor Doctor please!!!!!''

Hit me with something great then I'll shuddup Smile

Why don't you hit us with your great bands from that era so we can critique your choices.
Got game?

Wink

I wonder if TOWER OF SILENCE by ANUBIS would knock him out or as he said 'shut him up?'
They are from Australia. A song like THE HOLY INNOCENT is pretty incredible. Epic, beautiful and powerful.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 05:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

In the great words sung by UFO " Doctor Doctor please!!!!!''

Hit me with something great then I'll shuddup Smile
Why don't you hit us with your great bands from that era so we can critique your choices.
Got game?
Wink
That's what I forgot to ask him, by the way. and let us think that all "genius era" will have it's coming back, it's a matter of life, eras always change, in this case from "bad" to "good"... and form "good" to "bad".. and so on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>