Topic ClosedModern prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 01:15
I can't say that I prefer the new prog over the old prog but I'll take the new prog over the newer pop stuff any day. Being a teen in the eighties I was caught between two worlds. I suppose many folks my age have never discovered the new prog because they somehow weren't exposed to the old prog so I suppose most prog fans are either over 50 or under 30. I'm not sure but sometimes it seems that way. I was fortunate to be able to discover prog at a time when it was very underground and not active in a commercial way or a way where people could easily discover it. I still favor the bands who got me into the genre in the first place such as YES, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd, RUSH etc.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 00:37
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

^Nice inclusion of that iamthemorning track. I love that one, and the album as a whole Clap
Yea Thumbs Up  ~  album is THE masterpiece of modern Progressive Rock and one of a number of the evidences of that unexpected & beautiful renaissence of Progressive Rock. Iamthemorning is not recycled 70s stuff. This is new, but nothing less great than the classic prog LPs released in 70s who passed the test of time. Many of us can be emotionaly, socialy, by the age, etc connected strictly with an ancient stuff recorded 40-45 years ago, but it's non sense e.g. to say that the quality of modern progressive music can't be even compared with the classic albums made decades ago, just because of that surrealistic fear that the old prog bands will be replaced with the new ones. Nobody will replaced them. The old Prog is here to stay, but also the new stuff come every day and istantly become timeless as same as the classic stuff aswell.

p.s. Btw, the second album by Iamthemornig will be spectacular.

Edited by Svetonio - October 17 2013 at 00:42
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 23:52
^Nice inclusion of that iamthemorning track. I love that one, and the album as a whole Clap
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 23:14
I agreed with the opening post. No question that the Progressive Rock was fresh and bold back then in late 60s - early 70s, but the genre is fresh and bold again. I do not think we're wrong to say that we're in the middle of new revolution of Progressive Rock.  So many great debuts and the new bands are the proof of that.

There are new genres accepted by prog audience as post and math rock, progressive metal,  post and experimental metal; the mostly instrumental genres who weren't  existed back then in late '60s - early '70s; the sub-genres as heavy prog and especially the instrumental psychedelic prog is great now as it was in 70s - or even better.

Of course, one who is in "retro" prog, also can enjoy in a number of  the truly masterpieces released in past two-three years.

As a collateral damage of globalization, at present day the great bands are coming from almost all over the world, which is not the case back then. As you know, Internet is the ghost from the bottle which is free now; it brings a lot of changes and regarding Progressive Rock that change is dramatical and positive;  with the new generation of progressive musicians that made the new revolution of the genre possible and that's why Progressive Rock is shining now in its glory again.

Actually, I don't care about the people who are not able to see (hear) that right now; some of us just need a time to discover the modern Progressive Rock as well.

Edited by Svetonio - October 17 2013 at 00:57
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 22:33

It's a totally even split for me. I don't care in what year an album is made or a particular band is active. If it's good, I'll love it. My top 3 albums are Red, Godbluff, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but an album could come out tomorrow, or next year, or ten years from now that could easily replace any of them. And I'm totally okay with that. I won't stop liking them by any stretch of the imagination. They'll just be joined by a new classic made several decades later.

To strengthen the point, my current 4th and 5th place albums are Ghost Reveries by Opeth (2005) and Unfolded Like Staircase by Discipline (1997), and I champion those albums in a most annoying fashion every chance I get Tongue

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 20:57
I don't believe in eras like modern or classic, as in, I don't see why that should affect my preferences.  Music is too vast - going from Renaissance or Baroque era through jazz to the present day electronic age - to side squarely with one era.  There are just bands and their music.  If I did a rough reckoning, I would have to say that there are more classic prog rock bands compared to new ones that I like.   But that's because they are new, I'll need more time to discover them.  I love Radiohead and one or two albums of Muse and ACT and also like Mars Volta, Mastodon, some albums of PT/Wilson.   And there are bands/artists like Everything Everything or Prasanna which won't get into this database but which have something to do with prog from my point of view and are among my favourites.

Edited by rogerthat - October 16 2013 at 20:59
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 20:41
My love of the modern is probably equal to the classic era. The number of great avant bands continues to grow and I find I buy as much new as old stuff. It's a balance with me. Amongst my favorite modern bands are 

Thinking Plague, Aranis, Cheer-Accident, Miriodor, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Rational Diet, Yugen, Radiohead, The Future Kings Of England, Tool, Guapo, Setna, Uz Jsme Doma, Alamaailman Vasarat, Vezhlizy Otkaz, DAAU, Finnegans Wake, Hamster Theater, 5UU's, etc, etc,
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 19:42
I like modern symphonic prog bands and artists, but I do agree with the criticism that they should challenge themselves and make some music that sounds new.
I also think we are in the golden age or maybe a silver age at least because of the internet.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 18:24
Although I disagree about Spock's Beard, and all of those modern symph bands. They just sound as if they're trying to exist in the 70's and that does nothing for me. Transatlantic are mind-blowingly awful.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 18:24
I think progressive music has got progressively better (with a couple of dips in the late 80's though), and I actually think 70's prog is notoriously overrated trite for the most part, and I really don't see what it has to do with the great stuff coming out today.

I think it's just the massive circlejerk this board has for "classic" prog that makes it appear as if we're a majority. I even think that Neo-Prog is better than Symphonic.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 18:22
I agree with the original post, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who speaks this opinion. I do think we are in a golden age of not only progressive music but of music production in general, so much music is being made and released each day. Modern bands have always done more for me than the "classics", and while I appreciate Foxtrot and Pawn Hearts as much as the next guy (or maybe... the normal prog fan..)I much rather listen to amazing music from the likes of The Mars Volta and whatnot.

I may not be the biggest fan of the bands like Dream Theater and Spocks Beard but overall I agree with your statements and am glad you posted this
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 17:39
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Is there anyone else here who prefers the modern wave of prog music (say, 1989-present->) to the so-called "classic" era of the 70s? The music of bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard just does more for me than Yes, Genesis, ELP et al. Maybe it's because I wasn't around during that era, but still, I am proud to have a progressive era of MY time, to call my own, and I firmly believe we are in a new Golden Age of progressive rock.

I grew up listening to Yes, Genesis, ELP, etcetera and there is no substitution for that. They will always have that special place in my psychological and emotional make up that can never be replaced by any other music.

I give you huge credit for having the good sense to reject the crap that's played on commercial radio and TV and seek out music with substance created by musicians that can actually play their instruments.

The zeitgeist of the late 60's and 70's was completely different than today. The world is a different place than it was back then. Young people today have more information, music, technology, et al at their fingertips than I ever did. You have the luxury of having around 50 years of prog to select and choose from. That wasn't the case back then. Prog was inventing itself as time passed and the bands that are listened to today are the ones whose music has so far withstood the test of time.

I have my favorites now (Porcupine Tree, Big Big Train, Taal, Loreena McKennitt) just as I did back in the day (Yes, Genesis, ELP, Tull....never did care for Rush, Gentle Giant, Uriah Heep, Can, IQ). 

Be as proud as you like of the prog being made today. It's the soundtrack of your life for the rest of your life.

Very nice post mister schizoidClap One I very much agree with.
I do prefer the old stuff myself - even if I love a lot of the new as well. I gather most of the modern music I listen to, that's featured on PA that is, probably won't be called 'prog' by most of the old timers. Ulver, Vespero, Cabezas de Cera and the likes. I'm not really into the modern prog scene though - bands like Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Haken and Flower Kings sound like cheese to me. I am very glad that they're pulling people in from afar to experience a whole new music experience though. 
People should just follow their gut when it comes down to music - whatever others may say. New old - as long as it puts the zing in your mickey, it's all good.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 17:27
I like both old and new prog but right now I am trying to listen to as much new prog as possible.
The reason why I became interested in prog in the first place was because I was really disillusioned with the commercial music.
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 16:58
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Is there anyone else here who prefers the modern wave of prog music (say, 1989-present->) to the so-called "classic" era of the 70s? The music of bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard just does more for me than Yes, Genesis, ELP et al. Maybe it's because I wasn't around during that era, but still, I am proud to have a progressive era of MY time, to call my own, and I firmly believe we are in a new Golden Age of progressive rock.

I grew up listening to Yes, Genesis, ELP, etcetera and there is no substitution for that. They will always have that special place in my psychological and emotional make up that can never be replaced by any other music.

I give you huge credit for having the good sense to reject the crap that's played on commercial radio and TV and seek out music with substance created by musicians that can actually play their instruments.

The zeitgeist of the late 60's and 70's was completely different than today. The world is a different place than it was back then. Young people today have more information, music, technology, et al at their fingertips than I ever did. You have the luxury of having around 50 years of prog to select and choose from. That wasn't the case back then. Prog was inventing itself as time passed and the bands that are listened to today are the ones whose music has so far withstood the test of time.

I have my favorites now (Porcupine Tree, Big Big Train, Taal, Loreena McKennitt) just as I did back in the day (Yes, Genesis, ELP, Tull....never did care for Rush, Gentle Giant, Uriah Heep, Can, IQ). 

Be as proud as you like of the prog being made today. It's the soundtrack of your life for the rest of your life.

Making the useless useful 24/7.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 15:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910