Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Porcupine Tree really Heavy Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 21:03
I personally don't much care if Porcupine Tree are prog or not. They're still one of my favourite bands. I don't see the need to be labelling everything. 

I certainly would not call them neo prog. Theirs is a sound which diverges greatly from that created by Marillion, IQ, etc. 

They're just as eclectic as KC are. The Sky Moves Sideways is utterly different to Deadwing. Deadwing is utterly different to Stupid Dream. 

If you have to slap a label on them , eclectic prog would fit best, i think . 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:13
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Porcupine Tree is eclectic heavy <span dir="auto">psychedelic crossover prog to me. Yes they're </span>certainly more than heavy though.

Well said. I agree with this totally. I wish we could categorize by the album like on MMA & JMA
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:59
Yeah, I think this whole argument illustrates why it was such a boon for Metal Music Archives and Jazz Music Archives to have a setup where genres are applied to albums, not artists - Porcupine Tree are one of those artists who have toured through a whole swathe of subgenres in their time and trying to put all of their work under one category is nigh-impossible.

I guess the only solution is to accept that whatever category they are put in won't feel right to some people, unless this site shifts over to MMA/JMA's format - and that'd be such a big project I won't count on it happening any time soon.

Edited by Warthur - July 18 2014 at 09:00
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:56
Not sure about the eclectic prog tag on the latest (last?) Porcupine Tree offering by some, but they did evolve from crossover prog over space rock and back to crossover prog to end up in heavy prog IMO.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:40
Can't really put my finger on any particular sub-genre to classify Porcupine Tree's music...
But i don't really object to PT's placement in Heavy Prog here at the Progarchives though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:10
I agree with the eclectic prog tag for them on this site since taken as a whole, their discography is without doubt eclectic. Even within their heaviest albums every song isn't heavy. Funny that this very debate is on MMA right now. There they are listed as progressive metal and there is talk about moving them to metal related which sounds like a good move 
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 05:40
It's worth noting that, to my knowledge, some of the terms we use on here (crossover prog, eclectric prog, maybe heavy prog too) don't really seem to have had much use outside of ProgArchives and those exposed to the Archives - they're terms invented by the users on this site back in the day in order to categorise albums which would otherwise be uncategorisable. You didn't have people in the 1970s talk about Supertramp being crossover prog or VdGG being eclectic prog, whilst you did have people talking about zeuhl, RIO, and the Canterbury scene as being distinct things, for example.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 05:56
you can ask this same question about a bunch of bands here, especially those who have changed their style over the years. I presume it would be too much fuss to change constantly bands from one category to the other. 
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

It's worth noting that, to my knowledge, some of the terms we use on here (crossover prog, eclectric prog, maybe heavy prog too) don't really seem to have had much use outside of ProgArchives and those exposed to the Archives - they're terms invented by the users on this site back in the day in order to categorise albums which would otherwise be uncategorisable. You didn't have people in the 1970s talk about Supertramp being crossover prog or VdGG being eclectic prog, whilst you did have people talking about zeuhl, RIO, and the Canterbury scene as being distinct things, for example.

Another one i ve noticed that exists no where else us rock progressivo italiano. I like rym's classification system. PFM is simply symphonic prog, area is avant prog and jazz fusion and some bands like porcupine tree get more than one category.i m sure it would be more time than the volunteer staff here can put in so we are probably stuck with PT as heavy prog. Readrrs will just have to read revuews to figure it out
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 08:50
I think heavy prog is a good tag for later PT albums as I would hate to put any type of metal tag on them just for the In Absentia album. Dead Wing started in the same mode but the material soon shifted to what I feel is a good description of heavy prog with Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident following suite.

Edited by SteveG - July 21 2014 at 09:15
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 18:18
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I agree with the eclectic prog tag for them on this site since taken as a whole, their discography is without doubt eclectic. Even within their heaviest albums every song isn't heavy. Funny that this very debate is on MMA right now. There they are listed as progressive metal and there is talk about moving them to metal related which sounds like a good move 

Metal is the least of PT and SW's musical influences IMHO. Far more electronica, space rock, etc. Maybe my memory is failing me on some obvious tracks though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345