Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 14:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I just bought the last two Zeppelin albums, Presence and In Through the Outdoor. ITTOd was one of my favs, I love Fool In the Rain and Carouselambra...In the Evening has that Houses of the Holy feel to it. I never connected much with Coda, the very last Zepp album, although I will buy the new vinyl reissue to complete my Zeppelin set. 
Yep, these are great tracks. Hot Dog is skippable though Tongue Probably most fans prefer the guitar-led songs than keyboard but I really like their sound on that one, it kind of reminds me of Neo Prog sometimes Smile I never listened to Coda much, since it's not a studio album Ermm I was going to buy their first album on vinyl the other day but I found "On An Island", which was prioritary Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 13:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I never could get into Gabriel's solo work - I have most on cassette, and as such, occasionally listen to them in the car. There's some great stuff throughout but I just never bit-the-bullet and acquired the vinyls.

Most of it is just OK, it's very much not prog (which I don't care about) and heavy pop/indie/alternative pop/rock. Some of the lyrics are really good as he is such a good writer. The musicians on all the albums are stellar, the music is good well played...but a lot of the content as a whole is just OK..PG IV is where he really came into his own and you started hearing it on PG III, plus his voice became that raspy recognizable PG voice on III and IV.

Having these on vinyl and remastered as they are has made me appreciate some of it more....It will probably take several spins of all to really appreciate his work on these untitled solo albums, I have more patience now as I am getting older. Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 13:02
I just bought the last two Zeppelin albums, Presence and In Through the Outdoor. ITTOd was one of my favs, I love Fool In the Rain and Carouselambra...In the Evening has that Houses of the Holy feel to it. I never connected much with Coda, the very last Zepp album, although I will buy the new vinyl reissue to complete my Zeppelin set. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 09:48
^ I will eventually. I saw copies of it a few times but because of the cover I was too embarassed to buy it LOL ATTWT is probably the best of the three. Speaking of late 70's drastic what do you think of Led Zeppelin's last album? I really like it and don't find it as bad as many people say.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 06:17
^ Take the plunge - give Love Beach a try. Ignore the bozo lyrics, enjoy the music. There's a bit to enjoy here - but don't compare it with the 'classic' stuff. Don't even look at the cover whilst the album is playing through, it's not half-bad. Tormato is better, and then Genesis' ATTWT is better still, but this is 1978, and these guys tried to adapt. Some more successful than others.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 04:32
^ I don't think it's bad but it's quite a shocking album after GFTO. I imagine some people never accepted the sudden change. I still haven't heard Love Beach.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 04:08
^ 'Fake' audience overdub at that.......but I love Tormato - don't get the hate for the album........
......still, I am a (minor) fan of ELP's Love Beach ............
.......good music is GOOD MUSIC.............
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 02:47
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Certainly an underrated album, I especially love 'Release, Release'. Really like the drum solo.
Yeah, great track! I liked the drum solo but I don't think the cheering sounds were a good background Ermm

Yeah, I agree. the cheering is annoying. Dead
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 23:16
I never could get into Gabriel's solo work - I have most on cassette, and as such, occasionally listen to them in the car. There's some great stuff throughout but I just never bit-the-bullet and acquired the vinyls.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 19:26
Around 1981, some studios starting using digital tape machines, reel to reel digital tape. Most notably Madonna's Like A Virgin was recorded using digital tape by Nile Rodgers, one of the creators of the disco band Chic. He really did a nice job in the early 80's with digital tape recordings, he became a very sought after producer.

That Madonna album is one of my best sounding CDs.....Until hard discs became affordable for studios, they continued to use digital tape, Sony was the big leader in digital recording in the early 80's. My biggest problem with digital tape was the bass suffered and the sound was generally thin, compared to traditional analog recording where the low end was more full and robust, gave a bigger sound.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 18:43

Zappa promoting the London Symphony Orchestra album. Not many copies of this album were ever produced, he also mentions that I was recorded in digital :)

Frank Zappa Late Night with David Letterman June 16, 1983

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 16:55
So far the WOW track is Lay Your Hands On Me. They captured the power of the drums in way that the whole room fills with drums, powerful. My speakers got a good work out with that track.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 16:21
Boy..these albums are killer! This one also shines, San Jacinto is brilliant.....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 14:43
I'm feeling the vinyl warmth just by reading your opinion and looking at the photos Big smile Congratulations on your great purchase Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 14:40
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Certainly an underrated album, I especially love 'Release, Release'. Really like the drum solo.
Yeah, great track! I liked the drum solo but I don't think the cheering sounds were a good background Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 14:30
All the albums are fantastic sounding.....but so far III (Melt) sounds the best...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 22:11
^ It depends, for example TAAB is like 22min per side, while I have some vinyl at 25-27min per side and some 33RPM which only has 15-17min per side.

Each PG LP has 2-3 songs per side.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 21:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I also, while gone, received my Peter Gabriel box set of PG 1-4. These are the newly remastered editions cut to 45RPM and half-speed remastered. I just spun Side 1 of PG-1 and OMG, the sound is jaw-dropping...Clean, fluid and simply gorgeous! I am not a big fan of 45RPM LPs since the play time is only about 20min per side..but the sound quality more than makes up for that.

I will post pics over the weekend and more on the other albums.....too much fun!

I thought (and vaguely recall) the average time for an LP was 20 mins per side. Even though only going at 33 1/3.

heh, someone sometime is going to put one of these on at the, um, normal speed.... Moribund indeed...

:)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 20:54
I have listened to PG I and II....I can't express how amazing these issues sound. I keep replaying "Humdrum" on Side II of PG I, the vocals are so alive and right in my room, I can picture Peter standing in my room, so good. So far all the reviews I have read regarding SQ and pressing quality are glowing and I have to agree, these pressings are impeccable...
The bass guitar, the kick drum are deep and full with wonderful air around all the sounds, the sustain of the piano on the jazzy "Waiting for the Big One", I can't say I experienced the same feelings on the original issue let alone the CD version Dead.

I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on this 4-set package couple months ago when these were first announced, checking the website all issues are sold out and I suspect awaiting a new print run.

Looking like a great weekend of spinning wax at 45RPM....

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Some new albums I listened this week:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 312>